Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 3)

Who knows which side the leaks have been coming from? I sure don't. If Philips is to be believed (a stretch given his limited credibility), maybe the Indians were the ones leaking LaPorta, Green & Cain to 1) set the bar high for other teams or 2) make sure the Brewers know it will take LaPorta. Maybe Melvin didn't even offer LaPorta to begin with and Shapiro is trying to force DM's hand. I give this scenario low probability, but what the heck, we're all speculating anyways.

Kruk all over the crew today...Hardy & Soup his guys to watch today...if we lose, I blame him!!!

As an aside...I love Alando Tucker!!!

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

You never know how specific top players are going to respond to the heightened pressure.

It could also have been due to him having thrown nearly 250 innings in the regular season and being exhausted, FWIW.

Community Moderator

maybe the Indians were the ones leaking LaPorta, Green & Cain

I doubt this very much, as that report initially came from Haudricourt, who almost certainly got his info from his sources with the Brewers organization.

In my opinion Bernman you are wrong. The Brewers have one left handed hitter in there starting lineup everyday (I am not counting Branyan because he platoons). The Brewers need more solid left handed hitters in there lineup. I value both prospects a lot, but just like the Power 50 I give a slight edge to Gamel because he bats left handed and I am hoping he can play third base.
We're hoping he can play 3rd base in the same way we hoped Braun or Hart could. I never said Gamel wouldn't be value to the Brewers at all, for reasons like he's left-handed and might be versatile since he's athletic. I just provided a counterpoint to a point. You can't ignore that Laporta has been consistently the more elite prospect.

(fixed code --1992)

I just hope that if we don't get Sabathia, we don't end up giving away LaPorta for a plan B/C type guy. Beyond Harden and maybe Bedard (health concerns for me), I can't see any of the other names that have been rumored worthy of giving up LaPorta now. I sure don't think a Wolf, Blanton, or Burnett is that much of an upgrade at this point to give up LaPorta in those deals.

Laporta has experience at 1st base in case he has to replace Fielder in a couple years, he has the better frame to supply power without over-swinging, he walks far more frequently and will get in more hitter's counts (Gamel will be swinging at more junk in the majors), he has been more consistently superb before and after becoming a professional.

If Laporta is mentally tough and has the will to be great, I like him to be the more valuable Brewer.

At this point I would say experience playing 1st base means very little. 1st base is one of the easiest positions to play. Gamels problem at 3rd is not him fielding the ball, it is his throwing accuracy. He has good range at 3rd. IMO he would be able to move over to 1st and be a solid 1st baseman, the only reason he hasn't is because there is still a chance he could become a solid 3rd baseman defensively.

You are right that Laporta does walk more, but he also strikes out more. LaPorta has a walk ever 6.7 ABs, Gamel has a walk every 9.2 ABs. It might be a stretch to say he walks "far more frequently". I think both will be good players, I was not trying to be negative toward LaPorta.

We're hoping he can play 3rd base in the same way we hoped Braun or Hart could. I never said Gamel wouldn't be value to the Brewers at all, for reasons like he's left-handed and might be versatile since he's athletic. I just provided a counterpoint to a point. You can't ignore that Laporta has been consistently the more elite prospect.
I personally think that Hart could play anywhere.. he could play 3b if we let him..

could you imagine his range with his wing span?

(fixed code --1992)

Yes it is Alando Tucker

I usually wont waste my time commenting on avatars, but your's is FREAKING hilarious. Very creative...

But wait -- aren't the "B" members of ABBA Ben and Bjorn? If you replaced one of them with an "A," you'd get AABA? ABAA?

(I could be totally wrong, though.)

You never know how specific top players are going to respond to the heightened pressure.

It could also have been due to him having thrown nearly 250 innings in the regular season and being exhausted, FWIW.

He had a 2.37 ERA in September, 2.57 in August, so I doubt it. But nobody knows. I'm just broaching the topic because theoretically we're acquiring him to be a rock solid #1 or 2 in the playoffs, when he may or may not project that way under the circumstance.

I do not want Bedard. He can't pitch past the fifth. I'd rather have CV in there for those abbreviated starts. I'd rather get a proven vet (ie Maddog) to add a bit of insurance in the case that someone gets hurt or McClung doesn't end up being the 2nd coming of Cal Eldred.

I'm still bitter about that Richard Justice article back in May. He saw the team during that awful stretch in Houston/Florida. No doubt players were probably in a bad mood but that happens when you lose. These guys seem to genuinely get along (although what do I know).

Formerly Andersoc420

I've been saying for awhile now that it's very possible that Laporta,Green and Cain have never been actually on the table. Yes, TH reported it and he has direct conversation with DM. But, is it really like Doug to just say "yeah man, we offered LaPorta and Green hopefully they bite." How do we know for fact that that actual offer was on the table? If it was, I can see Shapiro wanting to try to milk more or get other teams involved but I highly doubt he'd turn it down. If he does then I think he is not a good GM or evaluator of talent, and borderline stupid.

Is it impossible to think that DM gave LaPorta's name to TH to throw it out there for the very reason of seeing if other teams bite? I admit it's not likely, but with the Indians stalling with no other reported deals even close to ours I'm really skeptical that the rumored deal is or was even on the table. If it was and he takes a deal from Philly for a bunch of low prospects it will blow my mind.

Another thing is DM actually said he preferred a quantity deal over dealing one of our top guys, especially for a rental. I understand that could've changed this is all so crazy I don't know what to think.

If the report is true about DM NOT wanting to give up LaPorta, what is he doing?? If I find out that the Crew didn't land CC because Melvin wouldn't part with LaPorta, then for the first time ever, I would want his head on a platter. That would just be dumb.

Richard Justice earlier said the Brewers were going nowhere and had bad vibes in the clubhouse. Now he says the Brewers MUST seal the deal and get Sabathia.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=431618

Absolutely true statements from the article:

"Don't fret the prospects. That's why you've stockpiled them. If this season doesn't end with Bud Selig handing you a trophy, you'll know you gave your boys every chance."

"Ben Sheets is 6-1 with a 2.38 ERA in his nine last starts. He's a No. 1 starter in every sense of the word. If the Brewers add Sabathia, they'll suddenly have a club built for October baseball."

" All in all, it's working. On Opening Day, the National League Central might have been considered baseball's weakest division.

No more. The Cubs and Cardinals are as good as any two teams in baseball, and the Brewers have been under the radar until recently. They're one of those teams that the more you look at them, the more you like them."

If the report is true about DM NOT wanting to give up LaPorta, what is he doing?? If I find out that the Crew didn't land CC because Melvin wouldn't part with LaPorta, then for the first time ever, I would want his head on a platter. That would just be dumb.

I would much rather have this be true than the idea that Cleveland wanted them to add Escobar to LaPorta and Green. If the LaPorta is not in the deal who knows what the deal is but at least it does not seem like Melvin is acting out of desperation. Melvin can always up his offer and add LaPorta, but he should not put too much more on that offer. It is crazy how little we know about this trade. Here is a list of guys who have been linked. LaPorta, Hardy, Escobar, Green, Cain, Pediard, Axford, and even some people saying Weeks. Nobody seems to have much of an idea what the deal is other than LaPorta is a key guy either in or out of the trade.

The fact the Brewers are openly talking about acquiring C.C. Sabathia makes me think the deal is closer to being done than we think. I know sports stations in general like to speculate on stuff, but from my recollection I don't remember the Brewers broadcasts as a whole spending a lot of time speculating about acquiring a guy not on the team yet.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I disagree. Especially when the only other offer being discussed is a bunch of A ballers from Philly. I'm sure we could put together a package of A ballers to beat theirs. We are the only team reportedly offering a stud, and if they are considering a quantity deal we have the quantity. Wouldn't surprise me at all if DM isn't offering LaPorta and I wouldn't blame him

I personally think that Hart could play anywhere.. he could play 3b if we let him..could you imagine his range with his wing span?

They did let Hart play 3B in Huntsville. There is a reason that he doesn't play there anymore.

I have to say Brewcrewin07, I pretty much feel the opposite of you. I was hoping Phillips' report was right, however unlikely that is, because I don't want to give up LaPorta for three months of C.C.

Archived