Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 3)

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

Anything is possible, but I don't see CLE, a team with a terrible bullpen, throwing us a capable reliever in addition to the top SP on the market, and one of the best SP's in MLB.

What exactly does Cleveland have to gain by holding on to a capable reliever at this point? Chasing that 73rd win?

PeaveyFury[/b]]Again, I didn't hear anything about the Sabathia deal on ESPN Radio's 'Sportscenter' 20/40 update- if they're getting the stuff about the offer from Steve Phillips, then I put less credibility on that report than the one supposedly from AM1100.

Peavey are you listening to a local station (Mark Chmura Show) or you listening to the national version of ESPN of Gameday on a satellite or internet feed?

By this point, lord only knows how accurate any of these ESPN or CNNSI reports are, but... while I can understand why the Brewers wouldn't want to trade LaPorta because he has the opportunity to be a very good player at the major league level, you have to give to get. I'm hoping the only reason he's not in the deal (if he's not) is to entice Cleveland to give up Betancourt, Kobayashi or Perez along with Sabathia.

While I am intrigued by LaPorta he is the most redundant player in the system after Lawrie signs. I have to think that the Brewers want more then LaPorta then the Brewers wanting to hang on to LaPorta.

I don't follow prospects as much as I used to, now that we don't stink on the major league level. I can read the stats, but can anybody tell me who has the better makeup between Laporta and Gamel? Rickie Weeks had beautiful statistics, but of course his issue is he struggles under pressure.

This is interesting. I wonder why Melvin has pulled LaPorta out of the deal all of a sudden? That seems very strange to me, considering he has been the most consistent name in all the rumors. I don't understand what the motive is to pull him out of the offer all of a sudden.

My guess is that he ends up with the Phillies. Just a feeling I have.

Peavey are you listening to a local station (Mark Chmura Show) or you listening to the national version of ESPN of Gameday on a satellite or internet feed?

National feed, Madtown.

Ok, that is where I heard them talk about it. I don't know why they aren't talking about it anymore in their sportscenter updates. Unless they are as clueless as everyone outside of Melvin and Shapiro are.

IMO Gamel projects as a better all around player. A bit more athleticism so if he were to move to the outfield he should atleast be solid there. IMO he also projects to have a BA/OBP a quite a bit higher than LaPorta with only a bit less power.

Hey guys, I don't post here too much but I have two thoughts I wanted to throw out there. First, with LaPorta seemingly involved from the beginning and then suddenly it seems he's been pulled off the table, I'm wondering if one of the other teams contacted Melvin about his availability. Is this a possible indication that San Franscisco is considering trading Cain or maybe Seattle is considering trading Bedard. I think Cleveland just received serious competition for LaPorta and Melvin is playing off that competition.

Also, why couldn't we sign Sheets and even Sabathia to an extension. Say 6 year/$120 mill. If we find out we can't afford it down the line, then we trade one to the evil empire or Boston for a couple of their great prospects. Who's to say we have to keep them for the entire length of their contracts. When we need to start resigning some of our younger prospects, then we get creative and ship Sheets' or Sabathia's big contracts to someone who can afford them. At least then we control one very good SP and possibly two and give ourselves a larger window. What do you think?

Also, why couldn't we sign Sheets and even Sabathia to an extension. Say 6 year/$120 mill. If we find out we can't afford it down the line, then we trade one to the evil empire or Boston for a couple of their great prospects. Who's to say we have to keep them for the entire length of their contracts. When we need to start resigning some of our younger prospects, then we get creative and ship Sheets' or Sabathia's big contracts to someone who can afford them. At least then we control one very good SP and possibly two and give ourselves a larger window. What do you think?

The problem with signing both of them would be that they would be 50% of our payroll. It is not a given we would be able to unload them in a few years. If one or both of them turn into average pitchers because of an injury or age we are basically stuck with their contract and have little room to do anything. Boston and the Yankees may have a lot of money, but they are not going to trade for a guy making 20 mil a year if they become only average or injured. In a perfect world where you were guaranteed great production out of them and no injuries, signing them would be great, but unfortunatly that is not the case.

Why would a FA decide to sign for less? They've waited for years to be FA's and choose their own futures. The idea of giving that away, especially Sabathia right after he gets dealt, is silly.

The Brewers are slightly more favored than other teams to sign their own, but that's about it.

Well maybe Matt LaPorta isn't or wasn't offered anyways. A buddy just emailed me saying Steve Phillips on SportsCenter just kinda stated that Matt LaPorta not being offered is what is holding the deal up? What in the world is going on?

Steve Phillips is the last person I would take their word on in regard to this trade.. I am all in on what Hardicourt says.. everybody else is making it up as far as I am concerned.. unless Peter Gammons or someone from CNNSI starts weighing in..

Edit: I should clarify by CNNSI i basically just mean Verducci or Heyman.. all the others are as reliable as philips.

I don't even know if Steve Phillips has ever left New York..

The problem with signing both of them would be that they would be 50% of our payroll. It is not a given we would be able to unload them in a few years.

True, two would be too risky but I still think if Sabathia is acquired, you attempt to sign him to an extension. Expensive? Yes! But he hasn't had quite the injury history Sheets has had PLUS he's a lefty. You have a better shot of shopping him if you decide down the road you can't afford the contract.

(fixed code; shortened quote --1992)

IMO Gamel projects as a better all around player. A bit more athleticism so if he were to move to the outfield he should atleast be solid there. IMO he also projects to have a BA/OBP a quite a bit higher than LaPorta with only a bit less power.

Laporta has experience at 1st base in case he has to replace Fielder in a couple years, he has the better frame to supply power without over-swinging, he walks far more frequently and will get in more hitter's counts (Gamel will be swinging at more junk in the majors), he has been more consistently superb before and after becoming a professional.

If Laporta is mentally tough and has the will to be great, I like him to be the more valuable Brewer.

The idea of giving that away, especially Sabathia right after he gets dealt, is silly

There's really no need to call someone's question silly. He started off by saying he doesn't post much, and basically asked for more informed opinions. The response was exactly what he was looking for, until that line.

This trade situation is quickly turning into an epic saga. Mskuts makes an interesting point about other teams possibly inquiring on LaPorta (guess that's another thing that leaking the offer did for Melvin... I love how savvy he is). If we can get someone like Greinke, as has been discussed, I'd be much more in favor of that than Sabathia.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

First, with LaPorta seemingly involved from the beginning and then suddenly it seems he's been pulled off the table, I'm wondering if one of the other teams contacted Melvin about his availability. Is this a possible indication that San Franscisco is considering trading Cain or maybe Seattle is considering trading Bedard. I think Cleveland just received serious competition for LaPorta and Melvin is playing off that competition.

If Phillips knows what he's saying, which is a big if, this seems possible to me. That would be exciting.

I hope you're right about the competition for LaPorta. It would seem a little odd that the competition would shift to the Minor leagues, but maybe you're right. LaPorta would fill a huge void in SF and if they can get some additional bats out there, they'll have a legit squad. I would really like getting Cain, but I doubt that would happen. Phils will be scary in the playoffs if they get CC, but anything can happen in a playoff series.

In the end, I bet we end up with Maddux/

Formerly Andersoc420

In my opinion Bernman you are wrong. The Brewers have one left handed hitter in there starting lineup everyday (I am not counting Branyan because he platoons). The Brewers need more solid left handed hitters in there lineup. I value both prospects a lot, but just like the Power 50 I give a slight edge to Gamel because he bats left handed and I am hoping he can play third base.

(fixed code --1992)

I hope you're right about the competition for LaPorta. It would seem a little odd that the competition would shift to the Minor leagues, but maybe you're right. LaPorta would fill a huge void in SF and if they can get some additional bats out there, they'll have a legit squad. I would really like getting Cain, but I doubt that would happen. Phils will be scary in the playoffs if they get CC, but anything can happen in a playoff series.

In the end, I bet we end up with Maddux/

It's a small sample, but Chocolate Chunk had an ERA of 8.8 during his 3 starts in the '07 playoffs. It's not damning, but a concern. You never know how specific top players are going to respond to the heightened pressure.

Archived