Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 3)

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just visited Indians247. They seem to be a little dilusional on who they can get or misinformed on who is involved. They are still tossing around LaPorta, Escobar, and Jeffress for Sabathia. Someone even mentioned Mark Rodgers.

If they want Rogers, let's do it! Just shows how they're not doing their homework and just tossing names around. Do they have a BA handbook from 2006 (#2 prospect for the Crew that year!)

All I know is that I'm tired of hearing Ken Rosenthal's name. I'm tired of listening to all his misinformation and his guesses on what might happen. When you make 30 guesses on what is going to go down, you're bound to be right on one of them. So I'm sure once the trade is done, he'll say that he predicted it earlier in the week.

I always kind of figured we drafted LaPorta just for a situation like this. I'm more than happy to stick Gamel at 1st once Prince leaves, as he obviously is a pretty awful third baseman. Four first round picks from losing Sheets and Carsten Charles doesn't really make me worry too much about "mortgaging our future". I wasn't on the bandwagon a few days ago, but the more I think about it the more I think we could make a run at not just the postseason, but the whole thing with this trade. Sheets, C.C., and Parra makes for a tough 1, 2, 3 with the way Manny's been pitching, and just imagine if Yovanni can make a miracle comeback for October. It'll be tough when we see LaPorta bashing 35+ a year for the Indians, but my gut feeling is just to go for it now. We'll get a haul when we trade Prince in the next couple years to replenish the system as well.

Mark Rodgers
Rogers.

LaPorta is the best player of any of the guys offered between the Brewers and Dodgers... shouldn't Cleveland be primarily focused on that? If they take the Dodgers' offer (if those two offers are indeed the two on the table), they obviously just either want to patch holes or have a much high regard for LaRoche/Hu than seemingly a lot of people.

. It'll be tough when we see LaPorta bashing 35+ a year for the Indians, but my gut feeling is just to go for it now.

And at least we can sleep at night knowing we sent him to the AL where he can't really hurt us until the very end of the season.

I always kind of figured we drafted LaPorta just for a situation like this. I'm more than happy to stick Gamel at 1st once Prince leaves, as he obviously is a pretty awful third baseman. Four first round picks from losing Sheets and Carsten Charles doesn't really make me worry too much about "mortgaging our future". I wasn't on the bandwagon a few days ago, but the more I think about it the more I think we could make a run at not just the postseason, but the whole thing with this trade. Sheets, C.C., and Parra makes for a tough 1, 2, 3 with the way Manny's been pitching, and just imagine if Yovanni can make a miracle comeback for October. It'll be tough when we see LaPorta bashing 35+ a year for the Indians, but my gut feeling is just to go for it now. We'll get a haul when we trade Prince in the next couple years to replenish the system as well.

I agree, I figure Mark A is looking at a two-window philosophy. You go for it now with Sheets and CC. And, if you don't make it, you have two years of basically 5 first-round picks so that 3-5 years from now you have a huge influx. It's a Marlins approach. You still have your base in Braun, Hart, Fielder, Gamel, etc for both runs.

Frankly, I like that Melvin is willing to be aggressive. The whole point is making the playoffs and bringing a championship back to Milwaukee.

All readers/writers of this thread, please note:

This thread is really long and really exciting but one of the reasons it is really long, is because there have been too many one-liners and posts that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. It's exciting, yes, but that doesn't give everyone carte blanche to turn this into an IGT. Like every other non-IGT, please keep your comments relevant, cogent and non-repetitive.

And as Casey mentioned earlier, please watch what you're quoting. If you don't need to quote a whole post (and you almost never do), don't quote a whole post.

Thank you.

I still think we're gonna sign Sheets next year regardless of what happens...talk about someone who people seem to be at peace with his departure!

It sucks to let LaPorta go but given our needs and our league I'd rather see him depart than Gamel, and it's gonna take one of the two

I agree, I figure Mark A is looking at a two-window philosophy. You go for it now with Sheets and CC. And, if you don't make it, you have two years of basically 5 first-round picks so that 3-5 years from now you have a huge influx. It's a Marlins approach. You still have your base in Braun, Hart, Fielder, Gamel, etc for both runs.
I see it more as a Twins approach. I think most people would be more comfortable if we fell out of contention and dealt Sheets to keep "building for the future" as that is what we have been doing for so many years. Not that anyone would enjoy that more, just be more comfortable because if we take a shot this year and don't win... then what? It seems like taking a shot this year and then getting all of those draft picks, moving prince for a "Sheets type" inserting Gamel at first and having another wave of young talent coming up to play with Braun, Hart, Hardy (or whoever DM considers his core to build around) gives us a second window instead of just one shot. It reminds me of the Braves only we are yet to win anything.

(edit: long nested quote --1992)

LaPorta is the best player of any of the guys offered between the Brewers and Dodgers

Honestly, I would like to make the argument that each of LaPorta, Green, and Cain are better prospects that anything in the Dodgers stated offer. Cain is 13th in the FSL in OPS, tied for 4th in doubles, and is 5th in stolen bases, all while being 22 and regarded as a plus defender. 5 tools, and getting better. Green is 10th in OPS, 2nd in Rbi's, and plays a premium position - all in a park (and league) that suppresses offensive numbers.

I'm getting the impression that Shapiro is doing his best to 'play hardball' with Doug here. If roles were reversed, I'd want Doug doing the exact same thing. The trouble for CLE is that the Brewers have the best prospects to offer, and have their top guy already in the deal. If Shapiro wants a power bat, and splitter pointed out earlier that it's an obvious need for CLE, he's not going to get a better offer than LaPorta. Now I realize the deal won't be straight up like that, but to me the rest is about filler or fliers.

There's no real way LAD can top our offer without sending someone like Broxton, who imo would be both dumb for LA to include & the Indians would have little use for him. The ball is in Shapiro's court. If he thinks trying to scare another prospect out of Melvin is worth the gamble of not getting LaPorta, that's his risk. Matt just appears to make way too much sense for the Indians, and there isn't going to be another hitting prospect that the Tribe will find to exceed him. I think they're waiting for the sake of waiting, or hoping they can make DM panic.

EDIT: AndThat just posted about nested quotes... can we please keep them cut down?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This is a little off topic, but if we end up going through with this I think the Matt Gamel at third charade needs to end. Stick him at first or even left field once LaPorta leaves. There's a noticable hole at third in our system then, but Gamel's glove will never stay there. Slide J.J. over when Alcides is ready, and stick Gamel in as a Fielder replacement.

The Cleveland message board is pretty funny. "LaRoche" is better than LaPorta". Someone suggests they'd only take "LaPorta/Gamel/Parra" for Sabathia. And they believe Shapiro should take his time as he's in the driver's seat - that more teams will get involved in the coming weeks. I hope DM does drop the offer each time we miss a start by CC.

Someone suggests they'd only take "LaPorta/Gamel/Parra" for Sabathia.

I would fly back to the States, back to Wisconsin just to puke in a bag and dump in on Melvin if he did that. - Not that he would, just saying.

Are Cleveland fans more delusional than Cub fans?

There's no real way LAD can top our offer without sending someone like Broxton, who imo would be both dumb for LA to include & the Indians would have little use for him

Although Cleveland does need a closer. If the Dodgers do add Broxton to the deal, Cleveland has to take it and we'd need to tip our cap to Shapiro for pulling it off.

If the Dodgers up their offer to include Broxton and Cleveland accepts, I hope Melvin is all over Cleveland to get Broxton. Broxton would be a nice consolation prize.

What do you think it would take to get Broxton? Obviously much less than Laporta/Gamel, but would we have to give up a salome type player?

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I think it all comes down to... Can Gamel and Laporta play on the same big league team or are they both going to be first basemen at some point? In the back of my mind I think the Brewers are content to go to arby with Prince for 3 years before they move him.

Archived