Brewer Fanatic

The Combined 'We're Trading Greinke' Thread (part 2)

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the Machado or bust from Baltimore.

Basically, if you are Texas, I want Mike Olt. Machado from Baltimore. Segura+ from the Angels. And Tehran+ from Atlanta.

If no one bites, so be it. I love picks personally. High picks are the most cost effective way to acquire premium talent. Now if only I had 100% faith in our scouts.

Translation the brewers don't need other team junk to move Grienke. I rather see them keep him for the rest of the season.

Sorry Raw if it bothered you,didn"t know you read every post

Well it is kind of hard to read a lot of your posts. You don't use punctuation or capitalization and honestly, sometimes it just sounds like nonsense at times. Just a quick once-over to make sure it sounds coherent would do a lot of good.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I agree with the Machado or bust from Baltimore.

Basically, if you are Texas, I want Mike Olt. Machado from Baltimore. Segura+ from the Angels. And Tehran+ from Atlanta.

If no one bites, so be it. I love picks personally. High picks are the most cost effective way to acquire premium talent. Now if only I had 100% faith in our scouts.

I would love to get high picks too. But like I said, I don't know if I trust Melvin, Seid, & Co. to actually come through. And depending on who they drafted, those players might not make any impact til 2016/17.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Community Moderator
Are we back to the Dean Taylor era and trading for Jamey Wright and Jimmy Haynes again? I bet both those guys were on B.A.'s prospect list at one time as well.

1996 BA Rankings, Haynes #38, Wright #66

...and then two years later the #38 ranked prospect was Roy Halladay. Not an exact science, but I would rather take my chances on prospects ranked in the top 100 then late 1st round draft picks.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator
The Angels have an attractive pool of players at the top of their system, and Segura would make a great headliner. The trade would look like a big success if the Brewers could land Segura along with any one of: Cowart, Richards, or Cron. The only concern I have is that Jerry Dipoto will get DM to bite on Peter Bourjos instead of those top propects.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Perfect Game Angels Top 10 article, definitely worth a read.

2. SS Jean SeguraBaseball-reference player profile

Signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2007 as a 17 year old, Segura hit the ground running in his full season debut in 2010 in Low-A Cedar Rapids. His follow up in the hitter friendly California League was cut short by hamstring issues, though he did show promise after moving from second to shortstop in his 52 game 2011 season.

Generously listed at 5-foot-11, Segura has a small strike zone, which he commands well. Combined with his compact swing and excellent hand acceleration allow him to make good contact with just about anything in the zone. Segura also shows surprising power, though his approach is geared toward driving the ball into the gaps. Segura’s defensive tools are equally as impressive, as he combines good range and lateral agility with an above average arm. However, he can be frustrating at times as well, as he has shown the ability to range far to either side, set his feet, and then mishandle a ball that he is position to field cleanly. He is also an above average runner with good instincts on the bases who can thrive on a team with an aggressive baserunning philosophy, not unlike the one managed by Mike Scoscia in Anaheim.

Though he didn’t get a lot of time in at Inland Empire in 2011, Segura is likely to climb to AA Arkansas in 2012. With Erick Aybar set to hit the free agent market after the season, Segura will be auditioning for the 2013 starting shortstop job, though he will have a lot of things to prove in order to earn it.

- The last sentence of the second paragraph instantly made me think of Roenicke.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Angels have an attractive pool of players at the top of their system, and Segura would make a great headliner. The trade would look like a big success if the Brewers could land Segura along with any one of: Cowart, Richards, or Cron. The only concern I have is that Jerry Dipoto will get DM to bite on Peter Bourjos instead of those top propects.

If Bourjos was a pitcher I would agree. The only way Bourjos would be coming back is if Melvin also traded one of (or both) Morgan or Gomez.

If I were looking at trading with the Angels I would want Segura, Richards, and Luis Jimenez. Not the greatest trade but a lot of good talent coming the Brewers way though. The only thing that scares me is that I don't believe Segura is going to make it as a SS. If the scouts say he can't make it as a SS I would seriously look elsewhere as the Angles really don't have much that the Brewers would need or want really.

I agree on Segura, but Coward and Cron are a few years away. Richards would be a nice get, but the Angels aren't overloading with starting pitching in their system so I doubt they'd include him with Segura.

I think along with Segura, Brewers should be asking for young major league bullpen arms and the Angels have 2 that I'd like, David Carpenter or Jordan Walden. Brewers are woefully short of arms to stock their pen over the next couple years. So Segura and either Carpenter or Walden makes sense to me. If they want to throw in Jerome Williams maybe the Brewers could add a piece.

Is Walden the Kid who was tried as Closer but Failed not sure it the same guy i thnking about.

I keep hoping more teams get intrested and increase the competion.

He closed last year and had 32 saves with a 2.98 ERA and 1.24 WHIP. This year he didn't fair too well so he lost his closer's role (I also think he was hurt at one point). He strikes out a lot of guys but also has a propensity for walks, kind of like Veras. However, he's only 24 so I wouldn't mind him.

If the offer was Segura and Walden, I'd probably do it. I'd like to get a little bit more (add one of Richards/Cron/Cowart) but I don't think Segura and Walden would be a terrible haul. If we drafted like the Rangers/Rays/Royals, I might be more inclined to take the picks but like I said, I don't have a whole lot of faith in Melvin & Co. in that department.

Even if we are able to move Greinke for a SS (Segura, Machado or any of the other guys mentioned) what the heck do we do to start the year next year there? Resign Gonzales? At the very best we could see one of these guys called up mid season, I don't think out of the guys we can realistically get will be our opening day SS next year.

Even if we are able to move Greinke for a SS (Segura, Machado or any of the other guys mentioned) what the heck do we do to start the year next year there? Resign Gonzales? At the very best we could see one of these guys called up mid season, I don't think out of the guys we can realistically get will be our opening day SS next year.

yup, my question as well.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Bianchizansom.....Bianchi, Izturis and Ransom

OR

Bianonaysansom.....Bianchi, Maysonnet and Ransom

yup, my question as well.

I don't think we should let the question about what to do next year stop us from acquiring a great SS prospect via trade. Worry about that when we get there. If Gonzalez heals quickly and everything checks out, he could be had for cheap and would likely outperform any of our current options. Bianchi could be an option depending on what happens this year. They could sign someone else for cheap.

Honestly, they probably won't be competing next year either (unless they resign one/both of Greinke/Marcum, depending on if they trade for someone, if they sign someone big, etc.). So I don't think any lack of a great SS will really hurt them. I'd rather they get the BPA (or rather highest talent ceiling available) via trade and if that happens to be a SS who's a couple of years away, then so be it.

I still think we're more likely to sign Grienke than to deal him. He clearly likes it in Milwaukee, has to see that we're going to remain competitive for the next few years (with an MVP left fielder, decent arms coming up, strong ownership, solid fan base, comfortable stadium) and seems to have a great relationship with management. I think Melvin probably thinks they are close on terms and it would take a really great offer to pry him away.
Formerly Andersoc420

I still think we're more likely to sign Grienke than to deal him. He clearly likes it in Milwaukee, has to see that we're going to remain competitive for the next few years (with an MVP left fielder, decent arms coming up, strong ownership, solid fan base, comfortable stadium) and seems to have a great relationship with management. I think Melvin probably thinks they are close on terms and it would take a really great offer to pry him away.

I find it very hard to believe that the Brewers best offer isn't already on the table. If Greinke was going to take it, he would've already. It's pretty safe to assume that he wants to hit the open market at this point. Anything is possible, but I don't see him signing an extension before the deadline. The only way I could see him returning is if they decide not to sell, he remains a Brewer the rest of the season, and then decides in the offseason to return after looking around.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

The Brewers have most likely given him their top offer by this point. If he hasn't already signed, then he will be testing the market. Also, I don't really think a solid fan base and comfortable stadium have much to do with remaining competitive. The Rays have done alright with terrible fans and a terrible stadium. The Marlins too. And the Pirates have had both solid fans and a great stadium but are just starting to get good now after 20 years of awfulness/mediocrity.

The Brewers have most likely given him their top offer by this point. If he hasn't already signed, then he will be testing the market. Also, I don't really think a solid fan base and comfortable stadium have much to do with remaining competitive. The Rays have done alright with terrible fans and a terrible stadium. The Marlins too. And the Pirates have had both solid fans and a great stadium but are just starting to get good now after 20 years of awfulness/mediocrity.

It's not out of the question for an "out of the box" thinker like Greinke to be perfectly happy with the last offer the Brewers made, but he's waiting to sign knowing if the Brewers drop out of contention all together, that they can rent him out for 2 months, and he can return in the winter to a team that's added needed talent.

It's not out of the question for an "out of the box" thinker like Greinke to be perfectly happy with the last offer the Brewers made, but he's waiting to sign knowing if the Brewers drop out of contention all together, that they can rent him out for 2 months, and he can return in the winter to a team that's added needed talent.

I don't think what happens in the next 2 weeks will change Greinke's mind with whether or not the team will be competitive in the future. Unless of course he's hoping to be traded for a few prospects he likes and then will return in the offseason. I (and many others) have been saying all along it would be amazing to trade him and resign him later, however unlikely that may be. However, you're right that if there's a person who understands that way of thinking, it's definitely Greinke.

Archived