Brewer Fanatic

The Combined 'We're Trading Greinke' Thread (part 2)

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feliz is basically off the table as I don't see the Rangers trading him at all for anyone really.

With that the Brewers need to get back at least a player who fits in the first round or early second round pick area in the draft. With the new CBA teams that lose players in FA and offer that player a qualifying contract do not get the signing teams 1st round pick. The signing teams 1st round pick just disappears with the new CBA. The team also losing the FA does not get a second pick (compensation pick) with the new CBA. The team losing the player gets a pick somewhere between the 1st round and the 2nd round.

I am actually leaning towards the Brewers not trading Greinke at all as I don't believe any of the teams interested in Greinke are willing to give up any talent that the Brewers would look at being an adequate return for Greinke. So if Greinke does not resign the Brewers basically get a compensation pick for losing Greinke.

I know people won't like to hear this but the team that I actually think fits the best with a Greinke trade is St. Louis.

They have the right mix of B+ type prospects that could get a deal done if interested but aren't considered top 10 MLB prospect types.

Joe Kelly, Matt Adams, Kolten Wong, Zach Cox are guys that look like they might work in a trade. Maybe Allen Craig, although he's likely in the long term plans with the Cards already.

I have no problem trading him to StL. We're not going to the playoffs this year, so I really don't care who goes. Just get the best return.

Me either. I don't understand the stigma of trading to a division rival.

Who cares? If we trade him we're pretty much conceding that we're not going anywhere this year anyway, and he's a free agent after this year.

Obviously the Brewers should trade him this year and restock. They should also trade Krod, Marcum, Wolf, Morgan, and Ramirez and possibly Aoki (he should have some really good value right now). All of those guy would seriously be able to reload the system. Then you get a full half season to evaluate Estrada, Fiers, Thronburg, Rogers (pitching GREAT all of the sudden), and Peralta (ditto). Also, regular at bats to evaluate Green, Bianchi, Schafer, and Gindl. Then, this is the part that I think would be neat, with all of that saved payroll and anticipation of Weeks likely being traded if hes playing better next season to clear way for Scooter, the brewers sign Greinke as a FA. They would then have the money, they would know what they have to fill the rotation, they will know what they have in some of our other prospects, and they wont have to give up a first/second if protected round pick to sign a top flight FA.

I didnt think about this till tonight, but I guess a lot of contenders are looking for 3b help, so Ramirez is a legit trade candidate. So, why not just give up the season (done already anyway) unload Greinke for prospects and then take your chances trying to sign him as a FA, same odds as getting him to sign an extension and this way you get a good load of prospects for him and you might still get him back because you will have the money to sign him.

I hadn't realized Greinke's high career BABIP or the change in his batted ball profile until that post; that's interesting.

I just seem to get the sense that the trade market is really cool on Greinke right now. We'll see what happens, but I have a bad feeling they're going to have to just let him walk and take the compensation picks.

Isn't Kolten Wong strictly a 2nd basemen? What do we do with Scooter Gennett (and Weeks for the matter) if we acquire Kolten Wong? I know you go with the best deal and all but second base is the one position I would not trade for.

If we're trading with the Cards we want Taveras(18th on the mid season 50) or Martinez(26th on the mid season 50), within the division you take either the best pitching prospect or the best hitting prospect.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I really think we're talking somewhere around $125M being the bare minimum to sign him on the FA market.

If that's the case, goodbye Zack.

125 mil minimum, really? I can't understand that kind of price tag deriving from his career production. That seems a little nuts to me.

You really didn't read his post, did you?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I have a bad feeling they're going to have to just let him walk and take the compensation picks.
That makes two of us.

I've said it multiple times in this thread, and I'll say it again...I don't think the Brewers can afford Greinke. I don't care what's coming off the books. Doug admitted more than once that the Brewers way over spent this year, as the Aramis signing was a desperation move assuming Braun was going to miss 50 games, and they didn't expect KRod to accept arbitration. The Brewers max payroll is probably around the $80-$90M mark. MLB is now a pitchers league more than a hitters league. Ace pitchers that hit the FA market can garnish a 5-7yr contract that will pay them $23M-$25M a year. The Brewers are way too small/mid-market to commit $23-$25M a year for 5-7yrs on one guy. If (when) Greinke hits the FA market, he is going to get something in that area. Now, you can buy into the "Greinke will take less to stay in Milwaukee" all you want, and you can add in the fact that Doug let's him scout talent which he likes doing and what not, but if you're a realist, he's going for the money. I don't think the "he won't go to a big market team cause of his social anxiety disorder" holds either. He told Adam McCalvy that playing for a big market team wouldn't bother him, and that there'd just be more "idiot fans to ignore".

Now, despite everything I just pointed out, I'm afraid Doug still thinks he can resign Greinke to a "discount". I like Melvin, think he's put together some great deals (Braun/Gallardo), but something just tells me that Doug won't play the Greinke card right. I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

That's why I'm afraid Doug won't play the Greinke card right. Nothing makes sense right now.

The team's explanation for benching Greinke is either stupid or false.

Stupid - meaning the Brewers are on the most important run of the season, and it greatly diminishes the chance that the Brewers will emerge from the current stretch of games with the kind of record they need to remain in contention. That, and it greatly diminishes Greinke's trade value. No one likes broken (or potentially broken) goods.

False - meaning he's sitting due to an impending trade or due to an undisclosed injury.

Neither option instills a whole lot of confidence going forward, unless he's sitting due to an impending trade and his new suitors requested he be fresh.

I wonder if scratching Greinke's start was a group decision or if it was just something Roenicke did on his own, thinking it was "best for the long term." If Roenicke did it on his own, I'd have to imagine that Melvin is about ready to punch him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Going off Greinke's comments about how he's not happy about the decision, I am leaning towards stupid all the way (pertaining to my last post).

If the Brewers win today, I think there's a possibility they still slide Greinke in during the Reds series this weekend. If they don't, then stupid x10 (unless, again, there's a hush hush impending trade going on behind the scenes right now)

Well I guess we'll find out if it was a trade for Neftali Feliz after the game today, considering it's the day he comes off the DL and the Crew has a day game. I doubt that's what's happening but who knows.

Jayson Stark was on ESPN radio down here in STL yesterday, and they discussed the Greinke situation. He agreed with the majority sentiment of this thread. It's bad, whatever the reason. If he's healthy, you're losing him for the most important stretch of the season. You're also scaring off suitors, because they will suspect injury. He thinks this cost the Brewers a chance at getting maximum value for him. I hope he's wrong. I believe he actually said, and I'm not positive of the direct quote "I don't know what they could possibly be thinking, doing this"

Jayson Stark was on ESPN radio down here in STL yesterday, and they discussed the Greinke situation. He agreed with the majority sentiment of this thread. It's bad, whatever the reason. If he's healthy, you're losing him for the most important stretch of the season. You're also scaring off suitors, because they will suspect injury. He thinks this cost the Brewers a chance at getting maximum value for him. I hope he's wrong. I believe he actually said, and I'm not positive of the direct quote "I don't know what they could possibly be thinking, doing this"

Will Carroll said the exact opposite today.

Verified Member
What about a three-team trade where MIL gets Yunel Escobar, TOR gets (what do they need?), and a third team gets Greinke? Shortstop problem solved for the next three years, I would do that deal.

According to MLBtraderumors, Angele are willing to trade Bourjos for a reliever (? K-Rod), are willing to part with Kendrys Morales and would trade Garrett Richards for Greinke or Hamels.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

According to MLBtraderumors, Angele are willing to trade Bourjos for a reliever (? K-Rod), are willing to part with Kendrys Morales and would trade Garrett Richards for Greinke or Hamels.

Nothing too appealing there unless Richards profiles a lot better than he has pitched so far

Archived