Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 2)

GoudaBrew

What the hell is a picture of Indiana Jones doing on the Brewers schdule at the team Website? WHy don't we just put a picture of Spiderman on the bases?

Since the Gallardo announcement and last night's loss, some buddies have started a "Guess when the Brewers will be back to .500" pool. Being an optimist, I should be venting about its very existence, but I'm more upset that all three dates in the series at Pittsburgh are already claimed. So I guess I'm venting about myself.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It's been 24 hours since Yo's awful injury news, and I'm feeling even more despondent for the season. That news is like a big kick in the groin, but only worse. I'm not confident the Brewers can make the playoffs now. "

Honesttogod, tiger, that's exactly where I am right now.

After the successful Cub series, with a bad Houston staff guys like Prince, Rickie and even JJ could recover against this weekend, I was starting to feel good about the Brewers. Maybe even slightly cocky. Nothing like the Brewers Homegrown Starting Pitcher Curse to wipe that smile off your face. I had no interest in last night's game. It felt as if it was a done deal we'd lose, and when I saw the paper, there it was.

"If one injury is all it takes to knock this team from playoff consideration, then they aren't built for the playoffs."

I hear ya, Moof, but look at WHO was injured. ONE injury is not a season killer, if it's Hardy, Weeks, a bench player, one of our many relievers, or a 5th starter.

But the swap of Gallardo down to Bush is devastating.

It qualifies as a season killer, because we go from having a pitcher capable of shutting down an opponent, to a guy who'll pitch 5 innings, giving up 3 to 5+ earned runs, making it tough to win, especially since JJ, Rickie and a few others forgot how to hit. When YoGa was out there, I felt almost as confident as when we had Ben starting for us. But now, I cover my eyes.

By the way, anytime Villanueva and Parra feel like stepping up and pitching like true pennant contenders, if not average major league starters, is fine with me.

We went from weeding out the few bad pitchers we had, and streamlining the pitching staff, to having to swallow our pride and bring one of them back. What's next? Gagne's goggles fog up, and he walks into a plate glass door, knocking him out for months? That means our closer is now...Derrick Turnbow! *sigh*

Cub fans can moan all they like about curses, and goats and Steve Bartman, but at least they can outbid dozens of teams each winter for top talent, to cover for their injuries and mismanagement. On this team, we have so little room for error, that one injury CAN derail our playoff chances.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Community Moderator

I've been thinking about this and I have come to the conclusion that it will most likely ruin our playoff chances.

That could change if we start playing better as a team, but right now, we have way too many players that are under performing and we've been walking a thin line between playoff contenders and a below-average team.

It isn't like Dave Bush is terrible, in fact, we already have two pitchers (Parra and Villanueva) in our rotation who are performing equal to or worse than Bush's career statistics. If Parra and Villanueva don't shape up, the playoffs never would happen, with or without Gallardo.

Rickie is just so frustrating. The annual progression of prevailing opinions on Weeks can be roughly summarized as:

2005 - "He's going to be a GOD! Seriously, he has Hall-of-Fame potential."

2006 - "he'll be good, just you watch..."

2007 - "Well, he's finding ways to get on base."

and here we are in 2008 at "Leave Rickie alone, forget his crappy batting average and below average OBP and sketchy defense, those aren't the only ways to measure a player, you know."

Sorry, I was hoping for more. I think a lot of people were. I really, really hope I'm 180 degrees out of phase about Rickie, but so far... blech.

I agree with this post. Eventually he's got to start consistently producing. I realize getting on base is important, but if you only get on base because you get hit or walked, it's not going to last. And the thing is, I still like him. Every hit he gets, I think, alright, here he comes.

Edit: Leadoff homerun, I'm 100% behind him again!

You may run like Mays...

There is absolutely no reason Tony Gwynn should be on the Brewers major league roster. He has zero power, and it's not like they need him as a defensive replacement in late innings because Kapler is at least servicable.

When did Tony Gwynn Jr. become our big RBI guy in pinch-hitting situations? If Yost stepped away from his love for the lefty/righty matchup off the bench, he might realize that Dillon or Kapler could actually take advantage of the Crawford boxes and tie up the game. A guy with the slugging percentage of the average pitcher is NOT who I want to see used. Even Counsell would be a better option.

Cripes. If Slappy is going to be used to PH when we need those big RBI's, we may as well just get Branyan up here. I'd rather see him strike out with the knowledge that he can put one in the seats if he gets ahold of it than see another inevitable feebly hit grounder to 2nd to end the inning by Gwynn.

If Yost stepped away from his love for the lefty/righty matchup off the bench, he might realize that Dillon or Kapler could actually take advantage of the Crawford boxes and tie up the game.
Are you really criticizing Yost for his love of the righty/lefty matchup when pinch hitting? Blame Melvin for assembling a team with one freaking left-handed power hitter. Branyan or Nelson need to be up.

Are you really criticizing Yost for his love of the righty/lefty matchup when pinch hitting?

Yes -- Dillon was a better choice there.

Blame Melvin for assembling a team with one freaking left-handed power hitter. Branyan or Nelson need to be up.

Yep. Couldn't agree more with you here.

If Yost stepped away from his love for the lefty/righty matchup off the bench, he might realize that Dillon or Kapler could actually take advantage of the Crawford boxes and tie up the game.
Are you really criticizing Yost for his love of the righty/lefty matchup when pinch hitting? Blame Melvin for assembling a team with one freaking left-handed power hitter. Branyan or Nelson need to be up.

Yes and yes.

The righty/lefty matchup is generally the preference, that doesn't mean there aren't exceptions, and that doesn't mean that TGJ should be up there consistently in RBI situations like he has been when we have better options for those situations on the bench, even if they are RH.

And yeah, I've gotten into this before, we need more LH on this team.

Verified Member
adambr2 wrote:

Slappy

My vent has to do with Slappy as well. I've been calling him Slappy for a couple of weeks on this site and this is the first time I've seen someone else call him that. Come on people, start calling Gwynn Slappy!

Backe was struggling with his command, there was no reason to bring in a lefty to force them to take him out. You bring in your best hitter and face whichever RP they send in. Gwynn is not the best bench guy.

An average lefty does 40 OPS better against lefties than righties. Does that make Gwynn a better option than Dillon against a righty? Getting on base would be pretty close but power wise, Dillon wins easy. Down by 4, I'd pick Dillon easy, personally.

Bottom line is this regarding pee wee gwynn; if his name was Smith and not Gwynn we wouldnt be having this conversation because he would be in the minors and either Branyan or Nelson would be a bench option. Its time we trade gwynn before the rest of baseball relaizes he isnt capable of hitting the ball out of the infield. Melvin needs to look in the mirror and make some changes because its obvious that the clueless one cant handle a bench correctly.

NL pitchers have amassed 4 HRs and 1 triple this year as batters.... Guess what team gave up the triple and 3 of the 4 HRs??
Um, the Brewers. It seems like we always get burned by the opposing pitcher while they are hitting.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm baffled that so many people are ready to give up on a team that's over .500 on May 3.

Maybe because we lost our best pitcher from last year and have a team that is hitting like crap. And a GM and coach that don't know how to judge talent and the mere fact it took them a 6 run inning from Darren the Terrible to realize he doesn't "have it".

Archived