Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 2)

GoudaBrew
  • Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ridiculous to keep your future ace in after what could be a bad injury. I know there are arguments against but my mind will never change. Leaving him in was idiotic. Hopefully he will only miss one game.

It probably doesn't ned repeating, but ESPN just blows.

This afternoon's game was the lead story on SC, of course, but why should they let results rain on the parade they're throwing for the Cub's best April ever. Guess it's not May in Bristol yet.

There are a million ways to run this story. A budding rivalry. The Brewers having taken both series in Chicago this season. Etc. Instead, the continue to rub our big market neighbor to the south with more coronation stories. Pathetic journalism.

Ridiculous to keep your future ace in after what could be a bad injury. I know there are arguments against but my mind will never change. Leaving him in was idiotic. Hopefully he will only miss one game.

I'm not a doctor, but maybe it was one of those injuries that needs to be stretched out? Maybe continued activity was important for the type of injury sustained? Unlike football, I dunno if they have stationary bicycles available? Maybe the best option was to continue to throw? All I'm saying is some times things aren't always as they seem and I'm not going to attempt to diagnose and treat as an armchair fan. I'm gonna keep an open mind and not be a sheep.

It probably doesn't ned repeating, but ESPN just blows.

This afternoon's game was the lead story on SC, of course, but why should they let results rain on the parade they're throwing for the Cub's best April ever. Guess it's not May in Bristol yet.

There are a million ways to run this story. A budding rivalry. The Brewers having taken both series in Chicago this season. Etc. Instead, the continue to rub our big market neighbor to the south with more coronation stories. Pathetic journalism.

Totally agree. The Brewers have taken 4 of 6 but that doesn't matter because the most recently nationally televised game was a total blowout in favor of the Cubs. I no longer watch ESPN except for game telecasts because of how worthless the analysis has become.

*Seethe

Keeping Yo in after he was clearly injured was incredibly short-sighted. If he misses any extended period of time because of this, Yost should be fired the day Yo hits the DL. You don't risk your best young pitcher's future for a win on May 1st. I don't care who you're playing.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'm not a doctor, but maybe it was one of those injuries that needs to be stretched out? Maybe continued activity was important for the type of injury sustained? Unlike football, I dunno if they have stationary bicycles available? Maybe the best option was to continue to throw? All I'm saying is some times things aren't always as they seem and I'm not going to attempt to diagnose and treat as an armchair fan. I'm gonna keep an open mind and not be a sheep.

Considering he was in a fetal position with his face not really masking pain I would take him out. I don't think it's crazy to take him out and get him more thoroughly checked out. It's not playing armchair whatever it's protecting one of your most valued assets. So, bah I guess.

I know the Brewers have bigger fish to fry on the heels of the bad news about Yo, but something has got to be done about Weeks. I'm about at the end of my rope with Rickie and I hope Ned/Melvin are starting to feel the same way. Yeah he walks a decent amount and he may somehow have a "knack" for getting beaned, but my god man, one of these days you're going to have to get on base (or got forbid drive in a runner) by applying bat to ball.

Yep, we should DFA the MLB leader in runs scored since late July of last year because his AVG isn't high enough in early May.

I'm pretty sure I didn't say DFA him or option him to Nashville. I simply said "something needs to be done". Perhaps the age-old panacea, move him down in the lineup for a bit. (Wow, and I thought that was a pretty innocuous comment considering, after all, this is the vent thread)

Ok well I'll change it to a vent, people who judge a player by batting average just drive me crazy. Hardy is having a much worse season than Weeks so far, Hall wasn't much better than Weeks before today and just because Weeks BABIP is low so his AVG is under .200 he catches all the complaints. He still has an adequate OBP(higher than say Gwynn would likely have with fulltime play). I just don't get why everyone is pointing at Weeks as the big problem on the team.

Ok well I'll change it to a vent, people who judge a player by batting average just drive me crazy.

He still has an adequate OBP(higher than say Gwynn would likely have with fulltime play).

His OBP is .326, and that's with 4 HBP's that I'm not so sure you can chalk up to skill. That's nothing to write home about. I was hoping we could expect Rickie to crack the top 100 in the National League in terms of OBP, especially if he's going to be batting leadoff.

Although I guess you have a door-slammer of a point with Gwynn, I don't believe he'd be any better, and who else would bat leadoff. But that doesn't mean I have to be satisfied with Rickie's anemic performance. *sigh*.

Ok well I'll change it to a vent, people who judge a player by batting average just drive me crazy. Hardy is having a much worse season than Weeks so far, Hall wasn't much better than Weeks before today and just because Weeks BABIP is low so his AVG is under .200 he catches all the complaints. He still has an adequate OBP(higher than say Gwynn would likely have with fulltime play). I just don't get why everyone is pointing at Weeks as the big problem on the team.

What drives me crazy is people who try to deflect criticism from one player by placing it on someone else. We're talking about Weeks, the NCAA batting champ and the guy that people thought would be among the best hitters in the game. I love that he's patient at the plate and willing to take a walk. But as of yet, he's been a poor hitter and the injury excuse can only last so long.

Rickie is just so frustrating. The annual progression of prevailing opinions on Weeks can be roughly summarized as:

2005 - "He's going to be a GOD! Seriously, he has Hall-of-Fame potential."

2006 - "he'll be good, just you watch..."

2007 - "Well, he's finding ways to get on base."

and here we are in 2008 at "Leave Rickie alone, forget his crappy batting average and below average OBP and sketchy defense, those aren't the only ways to measure a player, you know."

Sorry, I was hoping for more. I think a lot of people were. I really, really hope I'm 180 degrees out of phase about Rickie, but so far... blech.

It's been 24 hours since Yo's awful injury news, and I'm feeling even more despondent for the season. That news is like a big kick in the groin, but only worse. I'm not confident the Brewers can make the playoffs now.

Rickie Weeks and JJ Hardy are driving me insane. I find myself having very little confidence in them when they bat.

They don't look very good, that's for sure. I can't remember one clutch hit that Hardy has had this year.

It's been 24 hours since Yo's awful injury news, and I'm feeling even more despondent for the season. That news is like a big kick in the groin, but only worse. I'm not confident the Brewers can make the playoffs now.

I feel the same. But another way to look at it, if one injury is all it takes to knock this team from playoff consideration, then they aren't built for the playoffs.

I couldn't agree more with the previous 3 posts. I watched the 4 runs in the 6th last night in silence thinking that this is how the rest of the season is going to be, I was too depressed to be mad about it. No pitching left and it's May 3rd. Too many spots in the order you hate to see up when a hit is needed. From the initial Gallardo injury, him staying in the game and the Crew rallying, then to find out Gallardo is gone and watching back to back to back dingers, that was a draining 24 hours to be a Brewer fan.
You may run like Mays...

Archived