Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 2)

GoudaBrew
  • Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last starter to figure in a decision is Ben Sheets on April 18.

Considering just the four efforts put in by Gallardo and Suppan since that date (and leaving aside some other pretty passable efforts by the other three), that's an indictment of something. Maybe everything.

Hall should have played that anyways. It would have been a fairly easy 5-4-3 considering where his momentum was taking him and the fact that Helms was running to 1st.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

The Offense really stinks big time now Hall and weeks have been Horrible and Prince and Braun has bee mediocre at best,

Ned needs to sit hall and the brewers just need to cut the bull with the 14 man staff and bring up another Postion player.

I am wondering if the team is believing some of tyhe hype from Pre season.

If this team goes below 500 next month i would think Yost better look out for his pink slip/

guys this team is a 500 ball club at best

I'm especially mad today and yesterday because I drove 3 hours from Rapids to Milwaukee twice and back, dropping big bucks on premium seats, to witness the two stinkfests of today and yesterday. It makes me want to not come back again this year -- because I certainly didn't get my moneys worth.

I'm not going to be too hard on Mota, he was due to get hit around a little bit, it's not like he's Johnathan Papelbon. If you can't put a single run on the board in 10 innings, you're bound to get beat sooner or later.

I'm honestly getting to the point where I'd give Skaalen about two more weeks to turn the offense around and show him the door if he can't. The approach from most of the guys doesn't look good, and Jim straight up admitted tonight that he tells them after every game not to change anything. Yeah, that's a good time to stick with what you're doing, when you're not scoring any runs. It's not like it's just a slow start to the season anymore. It's been a month.

I love Gallardo, but we can't expect him to go 7 IP, 0-1 ER all season long. Well, he did his last two outings, and we blew both of them.

I'm not going to be too hard on Mota,

I will -- He is practically walking one batter per inning. He has Vargased himself out of some jams, but overall, he is pretty crappy.

Mota walked 18 guys last year, he's walked 10 already in 2008 -- if that happens a lot longer, he will be sporting a 7-8 ERA.

The Crew should have been playing in at the corners and at double play depth at SS & 2nd. Had they been doing that with Helms running JJ could have tossed to 2nd and Weeks could have run from 2nd to 1st and beaten Helms there if he didn't want to risk botching another easy double play. 6-4-3 double play would have ended the inning!

The offense has been just pathetic though. I believe they had the leadoff hitter on base 8 out of 10 innings last night. The day before they had 1st and 3rd with nobody out in the 7th inning. How in the world do you not score runs in those situations. I can understand that if you are the Pittsburgh Pirates, but come on the Brewers are supposed to have one of the best lineups in baseball! Where is it?!?!?!

well, they sure were raking in Spring Training, but that is against sub-par competition half of the time. A lot of it is pressing, I think, to hit it hard and hit it well. Against Major League pitching it is sometimes hard to do. I seriously think they need to have some team get-together that has nothing to do with baseball and maybe help become a cohesive unit. So many of them are trying to hit the long ball that they forget some solid situational hitting.

And, yes, I agree that only the corners should have been up in that situation in the 10th with Helms up, and then Billy Hall could have made the play to start the 5-4-3 twin killing. JJ would not have been able to turn two, I don't believe, even if he was playing at DP depth. But Mota shouldn't be walking the lead-off man to begin with.

Finally, it was quite maddening to see the team not score when they get all those baserunners in consecutive games.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Before out last two games, our offense was on pace to score +60 runs compared to last year.

Is it possible that everyone had too high of expectations for our offense?

Well, now they're on pace for -62 runs compared to last year. I certainly expect a lot more than that. Also, we were on pace to score 802 runs this year before the last 2 games, which would be 1 more run than last year.

And I definitely don't think expecting Hall and Weeks to hit above the Mendoza line, and expecting better OPS's than .612, .737, and .788 out of Hardy, Braun, and Prince is expecting too much.

The collective .245/.313/.391 line this team has is not only pathetic, but worse than the .253/.320/.390 line the 2002 team was able to muster. That said, I have a hard time believing that this offense is less than or equal to the Jose Hernandez/Richie Sexson led Brewers attack.

Tony Gwynn is so fast he makes his routine groundouts exciting! Oh, and he didn't run that 3d inning grounder out. Had he done so, he'd have been safe ahead of Braun's single.

Bill said something like "Maybe the Brewers told him not to run at 100%" referring to his hamstring. If that's the case, why play him? Like 1/2 of his value is his above average speed, but if he's not at full speed he brings nothing to the table offensively.

Thank goodness we kept McClung as our 14th pitcher! Thank goodness that we traded Gabe Gross, so that we can watch Weeks get walked in the 9th to get to a semi-injured TGJ and his wet noodle of a bat. Thank goodness Ryan Braun has the biggest strike zone in history. Thank goodness the Brewers have scored 6 runs with their last 80 baserunners.

BOO!!!

In my 26 years of following the Brewers, I can not recall a series in which the offense looked more inept at driving in runs in key situations. This series should have been a sweep.

Fire Skaalen. Yes, I know it's jumping the gun and it's not going to happen. But the guy doesn't appear to have a clue. The entire offense continues to struggle, and all he can do is shrug and say to keep doing what they're doing. I wouldn't be as hard on him if the offense actually looked disciplined, but they don't, from top to bottom.

This team seems to be following a familiar script. If everything holds true to form, I know precisely when the Brewers will start hitting. It will happen at the exact moment the entire pitching staff falls apart - which is coming - and we will start losing games 9-7, 10-8 instead of 3-2, 3-0.

The crowd today was really passive.

No one seemed to care about the game at all. I counted 7 attempts at starting the wave - and it was a close game the entire time! By the 10th inning, the Terrace Reserved was 1/2 empty.

Even with a full count on Mike Rivera, you almost have to beg people to stand up and cheer. I never go to games during the week, but I bet the smaller crowds are just as loud and better informed.

Archived