Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 2)

GoudaBrew
I equate this Brewer season to your straight A student going off to college and getting into booze and drugs and slowly declining and about to flunk out 3 semesters into school. You know and have seen the talent that your child possesses but they are just throwing it all away. Now if you want to add in that your child has an academic advisor that is totally inept at his job then there ya go.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate this past week. It was just just a week ago almost to the hour that we were division contenders. Since then, Yo is done, the team scored only 2 runs in its last 26 innings, and our pitchers gave up back to back homers three times (nevermind there was also one back to back to back job done too) since last Friday. Now the Astros are ahead of us and the Reds not far behind and we as fans on the "trade rumors page" are contemplating selling Sheets and Fielder (not seriously, I hope) at the deadline.

This could be the worst week of my Brewer life. Considering the expectations of this team, it hurts thinking about this and then again thinking of the future of "where do we go from here" thoughts when even just a month ago, we were "stacked" at every position.

Now all of a sudden:
J.J. Hardy turned into Cesar Isturiz or Abraham Nunez
Bill Hall is a worse Jose Hernandez
Ryan Braun is being called Pat Listach on talk shows
Dave Bush looks like he has never had a two consecutive 12 win seasons, with decent WHIPs and ERAs
Rickie Weeks hot August and September of 2007 seems like two years ago.
Prince Fielder should have kept eating meat (complaints on talk radio, blogs)
Manny Parra and Carlos Villaneuva look like starters for the Mudville Nine

When will this nightmare end? It has to be just a cold spell right??? But the coldspell has lasted for a MONTH!

How come scouts can go to a few games and formulate a pretty decent scouting report on a player, but anytime someone mentions that someone is struggling - "small sample" size is instantly throw back at them?

We added veteran leadership. We added pitching depth. We added a bunch of bullpen depth in Gagne, Torres, Riske, and Mota. We tightened up the defense. We added a gold glove caliber centerfielder. We got a major league starting catcher. We didn't really regress in any way besides losing Cordero.

And....we got worse.

If that isn't a telltale sign that we need to start thinking about moving in another direction, I don't know what will be.

This team isn't fun anymore. I can't believe after all the hype and talk of a team built around Fielder, Braun, Hart, Hardy, Weeks, Sheets, Gallardo, Suppan and a revamped bullpen....this is what we get.

This is the culmination of the stellar years of our farm system? Has our time already come and gone?

Think about it: Sheets is gone after this year which will undoubtedly leave a gaping hole in the rotation when we try to plug in a Vargas type pitcher in his spot. The league has figured out Braun and Fielder and so far they seem incapable of making adjustments. Weeks and Hardy look like they'll never hit .275 the rest of their careers and Bill Hall is the second coming of Jose Hernandez.

All in all this team sucks right now. Flat out SUCKS. There is absolutely no excuse for Ned Yost to still be the manager of this team, yet for some reason he seems to get a free pass from Doug Melvin/Attanasio.

Venting complete.

We added pitching depth.
That's what we've been told anyway...so where is it?

Hard to argue with the rest of you post, and the question is in fact really directed at Doug Melvin, because in retrospect, while having a couple extra number 5 starters laying around definitionaly provides depth, there sure doesn't appear to be a whole lot of quality there. This rotation is a disaster in the wake of Gallardo's injury, and they seem to be doing their best to ensure that the bullpen becomes a disaster in the not too distant future as well.

Heading down to MP this weekend for the first time this season. I really want to enjoy myself, but I have a feeling the atmosphere is just going to be poisoned and ugly. And the weather will probably make the tailgating not worth it.

it isnt like the season is over and there is no chance to make the playoffs.

Very true, but if I had to put money on it I'd say we have a better chance of losing 90 games than winning 85.

Losing streaks more often than not seem to turn into complete tailspins. You'll have to excuse me if I have no faith in the Brewers to turn a season around. 20+ years of bad, bad baseball will do that to a fan.

Ned Yost is 75-87 in his last 162 games.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Like i said most of us got caught up in the hype and this team is just mediocre at best. Losing Yo really hurts this team. Our Bullpen will be way over worked come the Summer. The whole Starting Infield has been a dissapointment and the starters behind Sheets have been a flop. I have to belive Ned is on his last leg and will be gone by May.

Did they honestly think that two guys with zero full seasons as SP would be able to hold up the back end of the rotation? Should have known going into it the pitching wasn't there...

I remember tons of fans saying during ST that they would be pissed if those two didn't begin the season as starters.

I think I'm finally figuring out that DM can not evaluate pitching. He's been able to pring in a couple of "meh" players and have them play above their heads (Davis, Turnbow, etc) and he makes trades for pitchers that turn out to not be any good (Linebrink, Latin Cappy, etc). Now that we're stocked with hitters maybe we need a change in leadership that knows how to go out and get some pitching.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Did they honestly think that two guys with zero full seasons as SP would be able to hold up the back end of the rotation? Should have known going into it the pitching wasn't there...

Maybe if they had known they would lose 2 starters for the season before May 5th they would have gone out and got some more pitching. Unfortunately they didn't know it.

Sheets

Gallardo

Suppan

Capuano

Villanueva

Parra

Bush

That is not a bad pitching staff at all. Blend of ace quality stuff, experience and high upside youth.

Sheets

Suppan

Villaneuva

Parra

Bush

Weaver

That is not a very good staff, when you take out 2 of the best 5 starters things change a lot. I think people are doing Melvin a real diservice over the pitching. Capuano certainly looked like a decent pitcher until his groin tweak last year and his injury this year. Gallardo put us on the map with 2 ace level pitchers followed by ok options at #3/4. Any team that loses it's #2 and #4 pitchers is going to struggle with pitching, I don't care who they are.

Now that we're stocked with hitters maybe we need a change in leadership that knows how to go out and get some pitching.

For the better part of the last year, this is where I have been coming down on this thing more and more. It was his undoing in Texas, and its looking as if the same thing may be happeneing here. I am not suggesting anything be done now, but it is getting very difficult to ignore.

Man, this is just so painful to watch right now. When is the offense going to take their heads out of their behinds?

Who cares what the pitching is doing, if you can't score more than two runs a game, you're not going to win too many games anyway.

Right now I'm addicted to the MGMT song "Time to Pretend". Anyone know it? There is a line..."We were fated to pretend". I really hope that line doesn't end up describing this Brewer team.

Rickie Weeks leading off continues to piss me off. Come on Ned, put Rickie at 6 or 7 and bat Corey 1st.

This has seemed like a no-brainer to me for over a year now. Its just another example of Ned being stubborn and wanting his ideas to work, even if they never will.

Rickie Weeks leading off continues to piss me off. Come on Ned, put Rickie at 6 or 7 and bat Corey 1st.

This has seemed like a no-brainer to me for over a year now. Its just another example of Ned being stubborn and wanting his ideas to work, even if they never will.

I do like Corey in the 5 spot thou over any other option. (Unless you put Corey leadoff, then move everyone else down one spot.)

Too bad they don't have two Corey Hart's. One to bat leadoff and one to bat 5th.

Archived