Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 2)

GoudaBrew
  • Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't wait until all of our bullpen's arms fall off in August because our starters all seem to have contracted Claudio Vargas Nibblitis.

Almost exactly what I came here to post. The more I think about our rotation sans Gallardo, the more I think this year could be even more frustrating than last. We went from having a pretty decent rotation to having a number 1 and four 4/5's. If said number 1 makes his typical 21 starts, things could get very ugly. Will it still be legit to question carrying 13 pitchers in that scenario? The way i see it right now, Villanueva really developing may be the only way out.

With the way they are playing, does the opponent really matter?

That's a good point. It really doesn't matter.

I do believe in the law of averages, meaning the offense is likely to catch fire at some point to make up for their dismal start. There is far too much talent in the lineup for it to continue to be so stagnant.

While I do believe the bats will wake up at some point, I am still worried about the team's pitching, although so far the staff as a unit is holding together relatively well IMO.

I would like to see the team be aggressive or at least creative with a move. I would like to see the team try to acquire sooner rather than later since that extra arm could be helping recording Ws at this point in the season, which is magnified obviously by the loss of Gallardo.

Another aggressive move would be to call up someone like LaPorta for some of the interleague series. I know this has been suggested before, and while the team does have guys on the bench they could use as a DH, such as Kapler, or even using the DH to give a player the day off in the field, I really like the idea of being more aggressive with such an opportunity. No, I don't like the idea of starting LaPorta's arby clock sooner than it needs to be, but with the team in a win-now mode (at least I think they should be) some moves have to be made now that may not have been made a few years ago.

If the team doesn't make a move and they continue to sink you have to wonder about two popular topics: 1. Will Yost get fired? And 2. Does the team move Ben Sheets this year instead of waiting to watch him walk in free agency?

I'm not freaking out yet, not by any means. I'd rather see the team start slow and finish strong rather than finish strong and become incredibly mediocre during the middle part of the season like they did last year. I still believe both Villanueva and Parra will turn it around, Suppan will be Suppan, Bush could be ok as a patch, and hopefully nothing else happens to Sheets. I haven't been as hard on Gagne since I feel he's been consistently around the zone and he's been bitten a little by some tight strike zones and a few hard luck plays in the field, not to make excuses, but I do believe he is better than the number of blown saves indicates.

Ok, that's my vent...I wish I could say I feel better now.

I've had these thoughts and didn't want to start a new thread. It wasn't really a vent as much as it was me just getting some thoughts off my brain...oh wait, maybe that is a vent, but not a very angry one at least.

When a starting pitcher other than Ben Sheets hasn't registered a win since April 5th, it's not good. It's not hard to figure out, there's no need for projections that will change on a weekly basis. When two kids are picking teams on the schoolyard, they don't have spreadsheets in front of them, they know who is good and who isn't and they pick accordingly...the Brewers are one of the last kids left standing around right now, and have been for a while now...and there's no reason to think it will improve much by standing pat.

I can't even believe how frustrated I am by May 7th. Unless they eventually trade for a good starting pitcher and someone kicks the offense in the butt, I see no conceivable way this team makes the playoffs. I can't even express how genuinely sorry I feel for the older fans (I'm 20 so I've only had to put up with the losing for the last 13 or so years).

I'm normally the guy who's not getting too high or low in May. "It's a long season." "There's still over 100 games left." I want to say the same thing--that the Brewers are just hitting a rough patch, and they will turn it around and get right back in the race--but I can't. The Gallardo injury killed this team, and I don't think they'll be able to overcome it.

To even be in position to trade for a starter, they'll need to stay around .500 for another month. If they manage that, I'm not even sure I want them to pay what it would take. The farm is already thin, and a trade for a top starter would likely deplete it. It really looks like 2008 is a lost cause. Nothing like having the highlight of your season occur on May 1.

This is depressing.

I've had these thoughts and didn't want to start a new thread. It wasn't really a vent as much as it was me just getting some thoughts off my brain...oh wait, maybe that is a vent, but not a very angry one at least.

It may have been the calmest vent of all time.

I would just like to see Braun or Fielder come to the plate with runners on base and not swing themselves to oblivion trying to hit a homerun. While I realize gappers have a lot to do with good fortune (you can't really aim for the gap) it seems this team rarely hits a line-drive to the gap, and certainly not with runners on base. With runners on base they seem much more likely to pop out to the catcher. That frustrates me.
You may run like Mays...

somebody needs to tell this team that it's not 2004 anymore! i keep hearing about what a great job melvin has done, but when the heck is it going to come to fruition? '06? nope. '07? almost. '08? sure doesn't seem like it. '09??? '10??? NEVER?!?
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

kinda the same story from last year. Don't worry we are still up by 8 games. Don't worry we are up by 5 games. Don't worry, stay calm.

This year. Don't worry, after this horrible start we are still above .500. Don't worry the bats will come around and we'll be fine.

Well now we are under .500 and now. it's still early in the season and everything will be fine. Sure it is early, but just maybe they won't get better and continue to slide I mean that is possible. This team has a horrible approach to hitting, and their fielding and pitching isn't very good.

Maybe we all just had higher expectations than what this team really is. If you look objectivity at this team you will see many weaknesses. Without Gallardo we have one ace starter and 4 avg to below average guys. We havent had a quality start from anyone not named Sheets or Gallardo in weeks. Add to that the fact that these guys are constantly pitching 5 innings or less and you can see that the bullpen will be toast by June or July. Doug Melvin has not shown any ability whasoever to put together a quality pitching staff. He needs to start taking some heat for this teams awful pitching staff.

Here is another thing I notice with this team every night: poor fundamentals in every way. I have the MLB extra innings package so I get to watch a lot of baseball. Lately I have been watching the Cardinals play. Let me tell you this team does everything right. They play good defense they run the bases well and they hit to all fields. This is a team that just gets it. You can watch a team like this and just see that they know how to play the game right. When watching the Brewers it looks like the team has not been taught how to play. They run the bases terribly, they are always swinging for the fences and they basically refuse to hit the ball the other way or take walks. If this team had a guy like Larussa managing and Duncan as pitching coach we would be the ones in first place because we defintely have better talent than St Louis. Yost needs to be fired now because these players are just not improving in any way.

Yost same story is getting Old and if believes this team is not in trouble he needs to be bounced.

I think the team has no faith in his ability or any of his coaches.

I have to believe the Luster has rubbed off Maddux also,him and Skallen better watch out for the ax soon.

It is my belief that the team gets its emotion, confidence, character, etc from its manager. Obviously I cannot speak for the players, but I believe that the players are getting nothing from Ned Yost. I further believe that the majority of the players have a good rapport with Frank Kremblas. It's time to make a change. The season can be salvaged.

Archived