Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 3)

this is pure vent.

I know we have our share of sweeps throughout the years, but could we just finish the book and sweep a good team for once?

I'm sure I'm forgetting some time we swept a good team, but that's not the point of this thread. I feel mad and upset that we couldn't pull it off after 2 nice wins to start the homestand. It's almost like they're satisfied with the series victory (I know they're not, really, but anyways . . . )

At least that's a nice 3 hour block that I can delete from tivo right away tonight.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pitchleague wrote:

At least that's a nice 3 hour block that I can delete from tivo right away tonight.

I'm surprised you keep tivo'ing this team. The games are painful to watch on any given day. Even the wins are tough to stomach. Maybe that is because of all the Ned cringe-grinning shots FSN gives me, but its most likely the BA "flare to the outfield" call. Nah... its the team's performance. Downright lackadaisical.

Apparently this young team can't take these noon start games. They've now lost 3 in a row and have scored a total of 4 runs.

How long can they continue with a leadoff hitter batting .204? On May 29th, that is no longer a slump, it's a trend.

The big question for me is this. How many people in the audience thought that McClung could get through the fifth? Yost makes one. Maddux? McClung? At most three, and I'd bet that Seth himself had his doubts.

Not that the offense was any great shakes, but you just knew that the game was going to be out of reach right there...it's a galdaarn horror movie, watching the cheerleader blunder obliviously into doom.

Regarding the offense, so much for what many of us thought (me included) that this young team will only certainly improve with experience and getting closer to their collective "peaks" and that alone will make up the difference in the Cubs adding Kosuke Fukudome.

Is it sad that I want "TheRiot" on our team instead of the sure thing inWeeks? I mean, I really like Weeks but this is getting maddening. 2 for 4 one day and then a hat trick of strike outs the next. Then a bunch of 0-4's with an single solo shot in there sprinkled in.

Also to top that off, we have the best singles hitting cleanup hitter in all of baseball. What good is that?

No Slugging, No Batting Average, no On Base %. The projection systems never saw that coming with this team!!!

I think I am going to finally say that this team "slump" isn't a slump. It is what you've got with this club. Last year the whole team was a bunch of 2006 Bill Hall's.

When do we expect all the studs from Huntsville to arrive? (It galls me to again have to wait for the next wave, and say 2011 is the year.....)

Is it sad that I want "TheRiot" on our team instead of the sure thing inWeeks? I mean, I really like Weeks but this is getting maddening. 2 for 4 one day and then a hat trick of strike outs the next. Then a bunch of 0-4's with an single solo shot in there sprinkled in.
Theriot's last 14 days: 234 .315 .277 .591

Weeks' last 14 days: 265 .393 .449 .842

I know it's only two weeks, but Theriot's OPS has dropped 52 points his last nine games. I'll be very surprised if he's outproducing Weeks by the end of the year.

As for an actual vent, it's going to suck watching out fifth starter trot out their every week, whether it's McClung or someone else they give a whirl.

Not sure how I got that white background...sorry.

Intentional walks NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Come on, it's not that McClung doesn't know how to walk people on his own. If Ned had let him work it out, we would have still lost, but 2-1 or even 4-1 (Tavarez, rrrr, nice to see that he sucks here too) is a heck of a lot more tolerable of a loss than 8-1.

Bats, plz to be waking up now.

We took 2/3 from the Braves and we lose a game in the standings.Our Lack of hitting is killing this team and the so so Pitching has not helped.It June and think it time for us to worry a bit and if this pace continues we should be Sellers at the deadline.

We most certainly should be sellers. It'd be a shame for Doug and Co. to think this is a playoff team and trade precious, young talent for a 4/5 starter type. This year's team is not a playoff team but next year's team by being sellers this year and getting us some almost ready pitching, will certainly be the 10-15 games above .500 to likely be in the playoffs.

I am sick of the Brewers winning the first 2 games of a 3 game series and not showing up for the 3rd. The team has been this way for years now and no one speaks up about it. This morning I heard an interview on the radio with Corey Hart and he was talking how they were happy to just take 2 out of 3. I wish for once that someone would stand up and say that this is not acceptable. Would it be hard for Yost or anyone for that matter say something along the lines of "Today we completely lied down in a game we should have won. Our hitters couldn't do jack squat against a relief pitcher and our pitching staff threw more balls than strikes today. Yeah, taking 2 of 3 is great and all, but this game was probably the easiest to win on paper and we didn't show up today. It's been like this for a long time and we need to stop being so complacent and start going for the throat. We have to start completing sweeps if we are to ever get out of mediocrity and become the elite club that this team has the talent to be."

Does this team really let up and pat themselves on the back after winning a series?

That's a scary proposition for the team if that's the case. In a perfect world, you'd always be happy to take 2 out of 3. In the real baseball world, sometimes you get swept, so it's necessary for you to do the same at times if you want to contend. There can be no letup. Every game is worth the same in the 162 game season. A series really means squat, it's just a set of games played at the same place.

It is completely unacceptable for management to allow the guys -- no, not kids, to think that their work is done if they win the first 2 games of a 3 game series.

Cameron is 2-20 in his last 5 games.......13 K's. Are you kidding me?

Good thing it's such a small sample size.

So 20 at bats isn't a small sample size? And if you want to go with the past 5 games his previous 5 before the 5 you posted he was hitting .318 with 1 K. Or his previous 8 games prior to your 5 game sample size he was hitting .371. So you did provide a horribly small sample size so perhaps it would be wise to not use the blue font there.

I'll quote the last line of a letter to the JS sports section from today's issue:

"Yost needs to get Cameron and Weeks out of the lineup, and Counsell and Gwynn into the lineup more regularly. Otherwise, this season is lost."

Who writes these letters!?

"Yost needs to get Cameron and Weeks out of the lineup, and Counsell and Gwynn into the lineup more regularly. Otherwise, this season is lost."

The fans who don't realize Counsell and Gwynn suck?

trwi7[/b]]So 20 at bats isn't a small sample size? And if you want to go with the past 5 games his previous 5 before the 5 you posted he was hitting .318 with 1 K. Or his previous 8 games prior to your 5 game sample size he was hitting .371. So you did provide a horribly small sample size so perhaps it would be wise to not use the blue font there.

I know very well it's an extremely small sample size. I just like to vent how bad Cameron stinks up the joint at times. 2-20 with 13 k's over 5 games is absolutely atrocious. I also just like to vent about everyone who always uses the line "small sample size".

My point being, over these last 5 games Cameron has been horrid.

I'll quote the last line of a letter to the JS sports section from today's issue:

I swear the MJS prints the most foolish letters they can find to make themselves seem intelligent

In that same letter, they referred to TGJ as a superstar of the furture or something along those lines. It's sad they all letters like that to be published.

What is incredibly frustrating is watching this team play it's best stretch of baseball since early in the year by winning 5 of 6 on this home stand, and not even gaining a game in the standings. Worse yet, they actually LOST a game in the standings. That's really tough to make up any ground when you can win at that clip and it's basically all for naught in the standings. Under normal circumstances a 5-6 stretch probably gains you a minimum of two games.

Fortunately, the Cubs aren't as good as their record indicates or as good as they have been playing. Needing to go on the road for 23 of their next 32 should bring them back to reality. Equally important, is that the Brewers continue to win with the next 12-15 being at home. If they play at the same clip in the next 12 as they are right now and go 10-12 and they fail to gain any ground during the Cubs long road trip, then it's probably over as sad as that seems. Fear not, they will gain some ground as the Cubs are mediocre to below mediocre on the road, and if the crew can get this thing to 4 GB or less by the ASB, they should be alright.

Archived