Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 3)

Yeah I have no idea what the hell Ned was thinking using Gwynn as the DH. Even if you're going to play him, put him in the field so he has at least some value to the team. Putting him at DH makes him completely useless.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been a big Yost critic this year. Nonetheless, I went out of my way to defend Yost last week and say even he would never be stupid enough to have TGJ as our designated hitter.

I can't even give Yost credit without him somehow screwing it up.

# full time starters are currently Batting 200 or below that a major problem.

the bullpen getting overworked is another,the sloppy fielding is another major problem

The starting pitching has been marginal at best.

it all starts with the top.

Putting Gwynn in at DH is pure Ned. The guys (Gwynns) biggest asset is his glove, so we'll DH him...Good instincts Ned. Go watch some NASCAR. The cars make loud noises and there's shiny things on the screen occasionally...

I've been a Brewer fan all of my life. I've loved this team, followed this team from my childhood on. I've been through the good, the bad and the awful. What hurts the most about this whole thing this season is that I expected them to be good, and this is so subpar. They aren't going to be worldbeaters on defense, but this is atrocious. And they fight back to get back in the game, get it close, and what happens? The pitching implodes. I'm really wanting this team to get all things working together. Something's gotta change.

With Sheets and Gallardo at the top of the rotation, this was a team that you digured would probably never have any worse than a 4 game losing streak. As it now stands, one Sheets loss means thate is a pretty fair probablility that this team will be on a big losing streak, or go something like 2-8 over a given 10 game stretch.

It's not even Memorial Day and I'm pretty bummed out about the prospects for the summer. Even as bad as the Brewers have been for a quarter-century that's saying something, and a combo gut punch/groin kick given the springtime expectations. Not giving up, but it's going to take something pretty special to turn this around. I guess that's the silver lining: any ultimate success from here on out will probably be pretty dramatic and provide memories for a lifetime.

I've got lots to vent about, but I never do it...

Why can't any of our starters make it past the 6th inning? Why don't the pitchers challenge the hitters more? Instead, they nit-pick around the corners, trying to get hitters to chase all the time, and they end up walking batters. That, or they get so far down in the count, they have no choice but to throw them meatballs.

I'm tired of the way our hitters try to swing for the fences at every at-bat. There's a reason why so many hitters are near the .200 line. Why isn't the coaching staff working with hitters? Do they think that they don't need to teach hitters anymore because they are now in the majors? Or they don't need taught because they all had a good season last year? "They'll get everything sorted out...it's early." It's not early anymore. It's almost June, and the Brewers are in last place. LAST PLACE!!! I'm beginning to think last year was a fluke. I should say, last April and May was a fluke. This team has too much potential talent to be in last place. How do they tap into that potential? Or maybe, they are who they are, and they will never be anything more. I don't know...I'm a very frustrated Brewer fan right now.

Verified Member

Ramdon venting thoughts.

In my opinion, the only regulars who are playing team first are Braun, Hart, and Kendall.

Ryan Braun is a really good hitter. There should be a Major League team that could use him.

How many strike one pitches right down the middle do these guys need to take before they conclude the other team knows they are almost always taking the first pitch? So now they are in a 0-1 hole and the next pitch is a slider down and away out of the zone. Swing and a miss and you have 0-2. I guess that's one of the hidden benefits of "working the count".

Has Bill Hall contracted Jose (K) Hernandez disease? Why would you ever throw him a strike?

At the risk of sounding like Bill Schroeder; When was the last time Rickie Weeks took a pitch on the outside half of the plate to RF? No lets keep pulling the ball and ground out to short. Why would you ever throw him a strike inside?

Have you ever seen a team pop up so frequently?

Mike Cameron is a great clubhouse guy. Well ,so is the guy who cleans the clubhouse, and he didn't take banned substances.

Pitching, and I use the term loosely. The starters rarely complete 6 innings because their pitch counts are so high. Nibble, nibble, and nibble again. I realize these guys don't have the velocity to blow hitters away with hittable strikes, but they seemingly go 3-2 on every batter and then watch them foul off 2 or 3 pitches followed the inevitable walk. Geez, the Cardinals rotation is a patchwork of releivers who go longer. Remember how Doug and Ned have told us that the defense will be much improved? Don't trot out the errors as the only indicator. Watch the games for the amount of unturned DP's (Yes Ricky you can throw overhand to 1B and the ball may actually stay out of the dirt). Those non-outs turn into extra pitches having to be thrown.

Whatever happened to the collective genius of Maddux and Skaalen?

Fielder is playing like winning the game is somewhere way down on the list of things to do today.

You wonder if Jason Kendall is thinking he's really on the 2004 Pirates again.

Has there been a game this year when you could honestly say that a Brewers starting pitcher was the best player on the field?

Lastly. How can a team that plays in a football stadium, with little fan support, win two championships in the last 11 years and have a crop of talented young players ready to begin that process again? In the mean time we have this collection of underachievers, with few bright spots to look at.

With all the draft picks that the Brewers have had in the last 10 years and all the "good" players that they have traded to contendors for young talent (i.e. Sexson, Overbay, Lee), how do we still have no pitching depth. The only reason we had any hope for a good bullpen this year was to sign 3 guys who are way past their prime. We didn't have anything to bring up through the system. The best guy we have to come up is a guy who is 2 bong hits away from saying goodbye to his baseball career. Sure we have all these young and potentially good hitters, blah, blah, but where is the pitching? I thought that pitching wins championships, not power hitters. We rave about all the position players that are coming up from our minor league system, but besides Yo, what do we have to look forward to on the mound? If Villy and Parra don't pan out, what's going to happen? We don't have the money to sign an ace and we don't have anyone in the minors that's going to be turning heads at the major league level. If we don't sign Sheets in the off-season, I'm afraid that this team is going to be far worse off than this year with it's pitching situation. As of now, I can't think of anything good to look forward to with this team. After this season, Gagne is gone, Torres will retire, Mota I'm not sure, Delifice will be 32, Zach Jackson may have a chance to stay, Sheet might be on another team, etc. We will need to fiind a closer again which won't be easy and do a patchwork job on the bullpen again. Unless Mark A. is willing to spend more money (not likely though, since they have to sign Hart and Fielder still) I think that worse days are still ahead for our pitching staff.

I want pitchers not belly itchers http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Fully agree. Man, what a disappointing day today has been.

What's even more depressing is that the Brewers will roll out this lineup tomorrow:

Weeks

Cameron

Braun

Fielder

Hart

Hall

Hardy

Pitcher

Kendall

Manager: Yost

It will be the same old thing with more than likely the same old results. There is no one on the bench that is special, and no one in the minors ready to come up and bring immediate help. Remember last year when the Brewers brought up a couple of kids to bolster what was already a first place team. I think there names were Braun and Gallardo.

I wish Gamel was ready. It would be great to stick him at third.

(code repair --1992)

Ramdon venting thoughts...

couldn't agree more on almost everything here. this is exactly what i've been thinking since opening day. well said.

the only thing i may slightly disagree on...

-we will cherish cameron's d many times in the next 4 months. enjoy his HR's and try to ignore his K's if you are able... the guy cleaning the clubhouse will, too.

(pared back long quote --1992)

S Linebrink (W, 1-0) 1.0IP 0H 0R 0BB 0 2SO 0HR 9pc-7st 1.29ERA

Being at the game tonight = me screaming "Where was this last year???"

...and it was Carlton Fisk night. They showed a highlight of his opening day grand slam off Vukovich in 1981.

The Brewers (okay mostly Prince's) defense continues to slide. Is it wrong that every time a grounder is hit to the right side of the infield I cringe? I mean not just in terms of fielding, but acknowleding who should cover first base, or who should flip to who...

14 hits + 5 BB = 4 runs??? This crap is getting real old.

the guys are out there battling, being competitive. i know (ned) that every one of these guys shows up every day to battle! and i would be proud to go to battle with anyone of these guys.

give credit to the other team--they showed up and battled us, and they were competitive.

Archived