Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 3)

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bill Hall should never start against a righty again.

Strictly a platooner. How long will the Brewers wait?

In his defense, he homered off Penny yesterday. But man did he have a tough game at the plate tonight.

Prince's defense (or lackthereof) has always really bugged me, but tonight he gave himself a chance to showcase how bad he is. I know, he's a big guy and it's tough for him to have good range, but I'm boggled by how many routine scoops he just doesn't make. There's been at least two this year where I'm pretty sure the average high school first basemen makes the scoop. The grounder he missed tonight, as someone mentioned, was as routine as you get. I also remember the pop up he flat out dropped in foul territory a few games ago. I guess I don't get how it's possible to be so bad at the easiest fielding position.

I fully agree with folks that think in general that closers are overpaid compared to say a top setup man and that the whole save stat can be silly.

With that said, i've believed that a good closer is pretty damn important if you have a team good enough to contend for a playoff berth and we are seeing first hand what it's like with a very shaky closer. The difference between an upper tier closer and a mediocre or poor one can being losing an extra 3-6ish games, along with deflating the team with those demoralizing losses that come with gagging games you lead going into the ninth.

Plus, just from a fans perspective, this is torture. Each time we get to the ninth with a small lead, my acid reflux starts churning and i feel dread as soon as a guy reaches base. Man, i'm envious of teams with a reliable closer.

Plus, just from a fans perspective, this is torture. Each time we get to the ninth with a small lead, my acid reflux starts churning and i feel dread as soon as a guy reaches base. Man, i'm envious of teams with a reliable closer.

Its really not a good position to know that every team you face knows it has a legitimate shot at you in the 9th.

Maybe BA will learn how to pronounce ANDREW (not Ondrew) Jones. By the way, I like BA, but it has been annoying me all game.
Andruw's name was pronounced that way a lot when he first came up. It must carry over from his being from Curacao. I'm guessing that Brian is being accurate.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It's so early, but it seems hard to believe that we are going to right this ship. Too many questions in too many areas to think it is going to all come together. Is it possible we will be a seller at some point this year? Now Riske down on top of everything. Cubs are playing great, Cardinals too...Houston....Reds are improving.....

It's so early, but it seems hard to believe that we are going to right this ship. Too many questions in too many areas to think it is going to all come together. Is it possible we will be a seller at some point this year? Now Riske down on top of everything. Cubs are playing great, Cardinals too...Houston....Reds are improving.....

The thing is, it's not really so early anymore. It's over 1/4 of the way into the season. The only offensive players who you can say are hitting "well" are Braun and Hart, but Hart has shown little power. Hardy's been better lately, Kendall's been pretty solid and in some ways maybe even exceeded expectations, but that's about it. Hall/Cameron/Weeks have all been doing pretty poorly (except for Hall's HR numbers), and Fielder hasn't gone on any of his tears where he hits 4 homers in a week or whatever. I obviously knew not every player would duplicate '07s numbers, but for Hart and Hardy to have a combined 2 home runs is sad at this point. Hall and Weeks hovering around .200 after 40 games is sad too. Add the poor bullpen pitching and inconsistency from the starters, I'm surprised the Crew are only a game under .500

Talk about having everything go right for you. Go look at the Cubs lineup and all of their hitting stats. I've been without cable and interent for the last two weeks so I had no idea that they were 24-16. Yikes! Ryan Dempster has a WHIP under 1.

I agree with your assessment Glennron. Although I would argue no one is hitting above projections except Kendall. Hall and Weeks have stunk. So has Hardy; his avg. is inflated by a large amount of dribblers finding holes. Cameron has been worse than Kapler given about the same amount of playing time.

The only bright spots imo, are the Braun signing, Sheets rebounding from a somewhat off year last year, and Mitch Stetter becoming a good bullpen arm.

This team is at best a 500 ballclub but melvin better not trade Gamel or LaPorta it not worth it.

Too many problems the Infield has not Hit at all and the Pitching had been Marginal at best.

i need to stop drinking the Brewers Cool Aid and just realize the facts we not that good.

We're not going to win a bleeping game in Boston.

To that end, I just bet a friend that if they win one of three I'll do a cartwheel, and YouTube it. I've never done a cartwheel in my life, though I don't think I'll have to learn now.

(These losses do not aid in rational thought.)

Gobias, I guess I need to take issue with your point (not you in particular as many have made the same point) in that I am somewhat tired of hearing people complain about things going well for other teams, and yet the Brewers can't catch a break. Sure the Cubs have made quality starters out of Dempster, and Marquis and the Cards are winning games with Pinerio, Wellenmeyer, Lohse, etc, but maybe it has something to do with the coaching these guys are receiving and not just luck. The Brewers have all of this supposed talent and yet they can never seem to harness it. Maybe it is Maddux and Skaalan and not just the luck of other teams.

Archived