Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 3)

Maybe Steinbrenner should, you know, instruct his coaching staff to train their guys so that pitchers can be athletes and run the bases without breaking body parts.

I mean, how many NL pitchers each year go on the DL with running-induced injuries?

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I've got my pitchers running the bases, and one of them gets hurt. He's going to be out. I don't like that, and it's about time they address it. That was a rule from the 1800s."

Having four infielders and three outfielders is soooooo 1800's too. Maybe MLB should change that rule. What an idiot.

how about an award for the dumbest promotion in MLB? my vote goes to the brewers and the "citgo gas station hr pump". not only does it look foolishly out of place inside miller park (esp with gas at $4+ gal), the whole chavez the ruthless dictator thing seems a bit offbeat to me--why are we supporting him?

and people complain about the sausage races???

I dunno. I think as a promotion as something to get people to the park, such as a bobblehead, poster, hat. The pump is just something to look at once you are there. But I've never said to myself, I got to get tickets tonight so I can get me a good peak at that Citgo sign.

boy, his bat was really slow on that stuff from Sherrill. You'd think he was watching how much the lefty was struggling with location out there. Bill swung at 2 balls out of the zone. Kapler didn't do much better.

All around difficult game to stomach from the get-go.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

It's not often that you draw 10 walks in a game and lose.

Nice outing Gazpacho. Sure are showing your worth as an innings eater.

Holy cow, Hall, you need to get sent down. You should ask what pitcher we could get for you. If Turnbow was on another team we'd be lucky to get him for you.

Boy I miss Gross. Especially now that Kapler is finally coming back to earth.

I also do not understand bringing Hall in at that point as the pinch hitter with the way he's been hitting overall. Just stunk. Yost has always been a goofball with manuevers like this. Go with the guys that are going to get you some where.

And if Yost doesn't go with Hall in that situation you have all the Yost haters out there screaming for him to be fired because he let Branyan hit and not Hall. Yost made the correct decision and going with Hall and not anyone else. Hall hits lefties better than Branyan and it was a good call by Yost to have Hall bat for him. The reason behind this are the stats just look them up you will see Hall has better stats against lefties than Branyan does.

I also do not understand bringing Hall in at that point as the pinch hitter with the way he's been hitting overall. Just stunk. Yost has always been a goofball with manuevers like this. Go with the guys that are going to get you some where.

As awesome as Branyan has been and as not-awesome as Hall has been, it's the right call. Hall's career numbers against lefties are much better than Branyan's.

My vent: I got into the stadium immediately at 5:30 and made a bee-line to where Sheets would be signing, yet there were a ton of people already there ahead of me. I guess I should sprint next time. I ended up getting the autographs of none other than Ned Yost and Mark DiFelice.

And if Yost doesn't go with Hall in that situation you have all the Yost haters out there screaming for him to be fired because he let Branyan hit and not Hall.

Straw-man -- here is the definition so you can learn how to avoid this sort of statement.

Yost made the correct decision and going with Hall and not anyone else.

I disagree. I certainly understand the reasoning behind Yost going with Hall -- and I do not think Yost was stupid for going to Hall. -- I am pretty convinced going to Branyan was the right move.

Hall hits lefties better than Branyan and it was a good call by Yost to have Hall bat for him.

I think Hall hits lefties better than Hall hits righties -- I am not sure at this point though Hall hits lefties better than Branyan.

The reason behind this are the stats just look them up you will see Hall has better stats against lefties than Branyan does.

Right. However, I am becoming convinced that Branyan is a better hitter than he was in 2005. I am not sure what sort of hitter Branyan is in 2008, but I am becoming convinced it is not the 2005-2007 hitter.

My Vent -- I wish Yost would have rolled the dice with Branyan in this instance, especially given the game situation.

It's a fine line between the vent thread and the drunk thhread

Oh man, the night I get home on my 21st birthday I am going to own the drunk thread. Which leads me to my vent. Why am I not 21 yet? It's not fair, lots of other people are.

Boy I miss Gross. Especially now that Kapler is finally coming back to earth.

What are we missing so much by having Kapler compared to Gross? Kapler is the much superior defensive player, better baserunner, and he's hit better than Gross pretty much all year. On top of that, Kapler has hit both righties and lefties, while Gross can only face righties because he's worse than Jenkins vs lefties.

As for Kapler "finally coming back to earth", he's hitting nearly .400 in June with an OPS over 1.000. Granted we are only talking about 30 at bats, but that's hardly some very struggling play like you're implying.

It's very unlikely that Kapler can hit this well all season, but i'm certainly not seeing anything that makes me wish for Kapler to be gone and be bummed Gross isn't still here. BTW, this comes from someone who like Gross as a good backup OF.

I think that technically, the Citgo thing would be termed a "sponsorship."

thanks for the help casey. the gas pump in miller park is so out of place--i brought friends from the cities to a recent game and they thought the gas pump should dispense beer...

...miller park....

wierdest thing in MLB

thanks for the help casey. the gas pump in miller park is so out of place--i brought friends from the cities to a recent game and they thought the gas pump should dispense beer...

With gas prices these days it should dispense free beer.

Archived