Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 3)

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We do this all the time...last year, so far this year....

We get a huge, emotional win, usually of the come from behind variety, sometimes one that snaps a long string of losses. Players are excited, coaches are excited, fans are excited.....it looks like a big turning point of the season...

And then......we lose a very winnable matchup the next day, and it's right back to square one. When do we ever build momentum off a huge win?

Yeah, there's not a chance in the world that I'm gonna start complaining about Mark as an owner. The fact that we're even discussing things like extending Fielder and Braun and Sheets, whether it happens or not, means I like our owner. And I agree with brewmann, Mark knows exactly what's going on right now, and I imagine he already has an idea what to do about it.

As far as calling people's fandom into question, I don't think that's necessary in this situation, from either side. No one is sitting there rooting for the Brewers to lose. I understand the frustration, because it feels like a win like last night gets everyone psyched up again and gives Ned another chance, but how many of those chances does he get? Everytime the team does something good, Ned gets another vote of confidence. Then he continues to fail...but then he does something good again, gets another vote of confidence...and fails. That story is getting old. I don't want the Brewers to lose, I just want them to admit that not every win, even in dramatic fashion, is Ned turning a corner. Just get rid of this moron.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I know the vent thread is just for "venting" - but honestly, what does Mark A have to do with any of this? The idea is just absurd.

I also don't understand after every game why Yost needs to be fired. I don't know off anything Yost did yesterday that caused that lost. Hall or Kendall got mixed up on a call. And the closer blew the game. (Not saying Ned doesn't - but sometimes people want to fire him for things he can't really control)

Of everyone involved, Ned did his job.

I don't know off anything Yost did yesterday that caused that lost.

The squeeze was stupid -- the fact that Kendall missed the call, and Sveum left the play on shows a pretty high level of boobery.

I am beginning to think Sveum couldn't hurt us as the bench coach.

For the Ned lovers out there, a squeeze with the bases loaded (and therefore a force play at the plate) is a bonehead call. And apparently they don't, like other teams, require the batter to signal that he got the squeeze sign. That's on the manager.

And yes Mark certainly knows what's going on. He's said many times in the past he follows each game on the internet (wow). But he seems to show up at MP a lot more when the team is doing well. Early last season - Mark at a lot of games. Later part of last season - not at many games. Early this season - at several games. Last two home stands - not at any games.

Maybe he doesn't have enough frequent flier miles yet for a return trip. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

The squeeze was stupid
Bases loaded and 1 out with Kendall at the plate - they were just trying to keep him out of a double play. (Which is usually hits into, hence he is batting in the 9 spot) Kendall ended up grounding out to the SS, which might have been a double play.

I thought it was a decent call.

Kendall has hit into no double plays this year. And the "he hit a ground ball anyway" argument is shaky at best. Bases loaded and one out is a lot different than runners on second and third with two outs. Pitchers pitch differently, hitters take a different approach at the plate. To say the botched squeeze play didn't matter because he would have hit into a double play anyway is a very large stretch.

Kendall has hit into no double plays this year.
I wonder if that has anything to do with him batting behind the pitcher?

I'm not saying it was a great call. But most managers make worst calls than that on a regular basis.

I don't even hate Yost. And that play wouldn't even be in the top 100 things he did this year that upset me.

(Which is usually hits into, hence he is batting in the 9 spot)
He's batting in the 9 spot because he gets on base well. Plus, Kendall isn't some slouch like Estrada. He's beaten out infield grounders before by himself, so I imagine he might be able to beat out the throw to first.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Exactly. And as I pointed out there were numerous "faster" Brewers that hit into more DP's than Kendall did last year. And he wasn't batting ninth.

We'll never know how things would have played out yesterday. I just don't buy into the "it would have been a DP anyway" logic.

I don't even hate Yost. And that play wouldn't even be in the top 100 things he did this year that upset me.

So what. It was stupid, it does not to be the most stupid for people to vent about it.

More than the call, it was the execution. It was another perfect example of the ineptitude of the entire coaching staff. That kind of stuff happens far too often. When mistakes like that are being made, execution regularly isn't "tight", and the team often seems lost in space, who else can you hold accountable but the coaches? Seriously, you just don't see other teams messing up suicide squeeze signs late in games, and running themselves right out of a big inning. It just doesn't happen.

I don't get why the Ned Yost defenders are so adamant about not throwing him under the bus. "It's not his fault that the hitters aren't hitting or that the pitchers can't throw strikes." Yeah, fine, maybe that's true, but what does he do to help his team overcome those things? Nothing. Ever.

Ned is a run-of-the-mill manager, no more, no less. He's the exact type of guy who you fire to shake things up when a talented team is leaking oil at an alarming rate. It's not like he's Joe Girardi or Bobby Cox or even Tony LaRussa. He's not spinning straw into gold, winning with a team nobody thought would be any good. He's just another faceless, anonymous manager. The perfect guy to fire in an effort to light a fire under a moribund, underachieving team.

"You think firing Ned will magically cause the Brewers to start winning, you idiot?" I dunno...maybe. Maybe not. So what? What are we out at that point if we fire Ned and nothing changes? We're out a mediocre manager. Whoopty doo. Even his staunchest defender would have a hard time saying with a straight face that he's more than that.

You go outside, shake the manager tree, and another Ned Yost falls out. They are a dime a dozen. Fire him. This team is nowhere near where anyone thought they would be.

I hate the squeeze call. You have to play for more than one run, especially considering the way your closer has been throwing. Call me crazy, but I have a striking suspicion that Yost was attempting to outwit his counterpart, TLR.

How often do you see this team attempt a squeeze play!?! Almost never. IMO, the circumstance was not appropriate.

Ned is a run-of-the-mill manager, no more, no less. He's the exact type of guy who you fire to shake things up when a talented team is leaking oil at an alarming rate. It's not like he's Joe Girardi or Bobby Cox or even Tony LaRussa. He's not spinning straw into gold, winning with a team nobody thought would be any good. He's just another faceless, anonymous manager. The perfect guy to fire in an effort to light a fire under a moribund, underachieving team.

Nice description, this is pretty accurate... though I think Girardi is a mediocre manager who screwed the Rockies over by his pitching staff usage.

Archived