Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 4)

We get this race tied up, we're sitting with a 3-run lead with the Cubs down 5 and then Ned rears his ugly, brainless head once again. Now we're down 4 and the Cubs have pulled to within a run. Please, oh please, don't let the fourth inning of game 105 be the high point of the season. You know, where Ned Yost returned to form, thinking he was smarter than everyone else, and knotched the first blunder of a downward spiral. This one will be hard to forget.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is really no way for Ned to win any of you over, is there?

If he leads the Brewers to the playoffs, I will be impressed, won over, and will admit I was wrong in my assesment that his managerial tactics are enough to hold a team back from making the playoffs.

However, until the Brewers reach the playoffs - and if Ned continues to manage the way he has for 5+ years, no he won't win me over. 8-game winning streaks don't change my mind about anything, as long as he continues to do weird stuff like leave Kendall in to bat on Friday, make ill-advised starting pitching platoons, and pull the crap he did today.

The thought that this starting platoon might wind up sending our season into the toilet, is most definitely creeping into the forefront of my mind. If that does indeed happen, it will be the easiest reason ever given to an organization's management for firing a manger. End the madness now, Yost.

boy, we sure overlooked the Astros this weekend . . . .

1-2 start to the homestand is not what I had in mind for a team that has been doing so well lately. Hitting with RISP has been abysmal and the poor pitching gremlin came out of it's mid-season hibernation to wreck havoc with today's game.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

By the way, we are the worst team in baseball at covering 1st.

Not just that, we're the worst team in baseball at turning a bunt into an out. Trying to get too fancy and not having Hall charge in the 5th is what killed the Brewers today. We're up 2 at the time, runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs and the pitcher coming up. Yost puts on the play where Hall stays put in hopes the pitcher can cover the third base side and get an out at third. It backfires, turns into bases loaded with no outs... and thus turns a 3 run inning into a 7... and a tie game into an 8-4 deficit. Take an out when it's given to you!!

I keep trying to tell myself that, well, 1 game back with the Cubs coming into MP for 4 games is a place we'd have loved to be in when the All-Star Break ended, and that is true, but I'm pretty frustrated in a weekend when the Marlins did their part by splitting the series on the Northside, we couldn't at least win the home series against a reeling Astros team. I'm not expecting a sweep, but I think we should've at least picked up 2 when they're throwing Randy Wolf out there.

If we miss the playoffs by one game (or heck, even a division title), this'll be one of those weekends I'll look back upon with disgust.

Yeah, this platoon starter thing is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. My guess is that it ends up screwing both pitchers in that they wont be able to maintain any sort of rhythm and end up tanking.

After the Boston series would have been the ideal time to dump Ned. Now the Brewers are pretty much stuck with him. I'm confident he will cost the Brewers a playoff berth.

Ditto here.

Ned Yost is our Steve Bartman. I've been saying for it at least 2 seasons now.

He doesn't see storm clouds brewing fast enough because he's blinded by stupid loyalty to guys he likes. He is too sentimental and soft with some guys. Performance is all that matters, Ned! When will you get the clue on time?

I get that feeling too, like the platoon will mess both guys up to the point where neither will be useful. Bush was in a nice rythym, coming off his best start, then he sits for 16 days. How do you recover from that? There's a reason no one has done it. McClung so much as said he was messed up after the game.

I have a bad feeling about this series. Cubs have the momentum.

Yeah, this platoon starter thing is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. My guess is that it ends up screwing both pitchers in that they wont be able to maintain any sort of rhythm and end up tanking.

i completely agree. platoon pitchers for home and away. this is just insane.

Only Yost would be dumb enough to platoon starting pitchers. Bush had been dominant before his 16 day layoff and McClung struggles to get through 5 innings with his high pitch counts. Why is this even a discussion? Bush needs a regular turn in the rotation and McClung needs to be in the bullpen. I would even try to trade McClung for a guy like Fuentes if possible.

You would think that the brilliand mind of Ted Simmons would alowly wear down Ned to the point where he makes logical decisions. I am not so sure that will ever happen because Ned seems to be one stubborn .....

I like Yost, he seems to be a likable guy but lately he has made a nice string of headscratchers. Just makes me think he can't handle the pressure of the pennant race, especially after the Atlanta and Pujols debacle of late last year. I hate to see what his head comes up with during the Cubs series which will have a playoff like atmosphere no doubt.

Archived