Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 4)

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was so upset about the game monday night that I couldnt even bring myself to watch last nights debacle. Its always one step forward and two steps back for this team and that never seems to change. Sadly I expect this team to choke away another playoff spot and that to me is very very sad.

These are the same front-running people who mobbed the streets with Nazi flags when Kesselring declared the British Expeditionary Forces destroyed at Dunkirk.

I don't see how that comparison is valid or appropriate on this site at all.

These are the same front-running people who mobbed the streets with Nazi flags when Kesselring declared the British Expeditionary Forces destroyed at Dunkirk.

You don't? Seeing how so many on this site virtually compare Yost to Hitler, I think it's apt.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

My vent is that I just found out from the vent thread that the season is *officially* over. I would've appreciated getting that memo.
You must have missed the post game show where the players announced they had voted and the season is over.

"We just don't expect to win again." Braun

"It is obvious I need to change to an all meat and Dorrito diet and cut out the veggies. I doubt I can keep up my last 2 months of hitting and the first month of the season is how well I can truly hit. I just need to change my diet and get ready to win next year." Fielder

"My whole goal was to reach an all star game so I could say that all I have done is hit and go to all star games at every level I have played at." Hart

"We really only have 2 good pitchers on our staff so we should lose 60% of our games. I wish Doug had made a better pitching staff for me." Yost

Edit: "It's division or bust and it's pretty aparent that we just can't beat the Cubs. Those wild card teams never make the playoffs anyway." Sheets

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

It's an entirely valid historical reference to hubris and defeatism. The Brits were hardly licked, as Dunkirk showed. And neither do I think the Brewers are licked because of a few stinker games. I think the comparison of people who joined the Bund, or whatever, when Hitler was on the march, to fans who flock to front-running teams, definitionally only when the times are good, is entirely appropriate. If it's your thinking that any talk of history is outside the lines of satire, then I just fundamentally disagree with you, since it's my belief that's the mentality that gives rise to absolutist crackpots in the first place.

My vent is that I just found out from the vent thread that the season is *officially* over. I would've appreciated getting that memo.

"My whole goal was to reach an all star game so I could say that all I have done is hit and go to all star games at every level I have played at." Hart

And also so that Yost can say "He's an All-Star" for the next 5-7 seasons...

Anyway, I want to rant on this now since I don't want it to seem like sour grapes if the Brewers lose later....

I like Steve Goodman.

I even like "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request."

I HATE "Go Cubs Go."

First of all, it's a really terrible song--sounds like it should've come from the poison pen of a hack jingle writer in the Tribune's marketing department, rather than the guy who wrote "City of New Orleans." "Brewers Turnin' Up the Heat" is no walk in the park, but at least you can attribute that to goofy and occasionally misplaced 80s nostalgia. This grotesque atunal wreck is the song Cubs fans have chosen as their anthem.

But when I've gotta hear it in conjunction with images of fat Schaumburg residents poured into too-tight Sosa jerseys singing it arm-in-arm with recent NIU graduates with frost tips and their orange-tan girlfriends in pink Cubs hats, it makes me wish I were Helen Keller.

It's an entirely valid historical reference to hubris and defeatism. The Brits were hardly licked, as Dunkirk showed.

It may indeed have been unfair of me to call it invalid. But the point about relevance on this forum stands.

What is worse:

A. Yost putting a hit and run on with the pitcher batting and the catcher running, a move that cost us a run

B. The fact that the Brewers have not gotten a hit all series w/RISP

C. Ned Yost's facial expressions in the dugout while the team is getting manhandled

D. The team defense overall in this series

E. The fact we have to throw Bush vs. Harden to avoid a sweep tomorrow

F. A very likely 1-6 homestand after a 7-0 roadtrip, something only the Brewers can do

G. Corey Hart since the AS break

H. The fact that we blew a 3 game wild card lead in 3 days

I. The fact that there are pathetic Brewer fans who sell their behind homeplate season tickets to Cubs fans

J. The Brewers again going into choke mode with a pennant race on the line

I'm going to go with a tie between A and F.

What is worse:

A. Yost putting a hit and run on with the pitcher batting and the catcher running, a move that cost us a run

C. Ned Yost's facial expressions in the dugout while the team is getting manhandled

F. A very likely 1-6 homestand after a 7-0 roadtrip, something only the Brewers can do

I. The fact that there are pathetic Brewer fans who sell their behind homeplate season tickets to Cubs fans

I'm going with K, all of the above.

What is worse:

I'm going with K, all of the above.

H is what rankles me the most. And L - the fact that with the three best starters available, the Crew can't pull out one flippin' win!

what worse watching on National tv and the offense puts is 5 hits and 2 are by the pitcher.

we better hope melvin has one more trade in him so we can hold onto the wildcard.

with a cubs win tomorrow we are back where we started before we swept St Louis.

This team totally got beat up by the Cubs and loked pathetic in doing so

I have finally accepted the fact that this team is stupid (for lack of a better word). I have supported them for so long and have tried to put a positive spin on things but it all boils down to stupidity. I would like to get an IQ test on all the teams and see where the Crew ranks as I bet it's very low. There's no other explanation for a team consistently making the same mistakes without learning from them:

1. Called third strikes - when do you learn to protect the plate?

2. Swinging at the first pitch - if it's a fastball down the middle, sometimes it's ok to swing.

3. Swinging when a pitcher is struggling - if he hasn't thrown a ball in 6 straight pitches, don't help him.

4. Hitting with risp - you don't try harder when there are men on, and you don't need a home run every time.

5. Hitting with no men on, late in the game and down by more than 2 runs -- a home run still is only worth 1 run when no one is on. Get on base and stop striking out!

6. Sliders low and away with less than 2 strikes -- leave them alone.

7. The opponents best hitters are coming up -- try not to walk the bottom of the lineup.

8. Your team is not learning from its mistakes -- throw some damn bats into the showers to get their attention!

It's about time the Crew start looking for brains on top of speed, defense, offense, pitching and coaching. I hope I look back at this vent in October and realize i was wrong, but I have a sinking feeling that may not happen.

THIS GARBAGE IS UNACCEPTABLE.

Nobody on this team ever tries to bunt and disrupt the pitcher's rhythym

Nobody shortens up and pokes the ball the other way

They keep swinging at balls way out of the strike zone while taking pitches right down the middle

Our catcher can't make a decent throw to nail a runner

We can't turn routine double plays

Our pitchers nibble and get behind in the counts

We still don't draw walks

We swing for the fences all the time

Our GM doesn't value tough outs and on-base percentage.

Our manager always coddles our players and there is no accountability

Our brain dead manager leaves in a situational lefty to face five straight right-handed hitters

Our brain dead manager tries to hit and run with a pitcher at the plate.

Bill Hall keeps getting starts against dominant righties.

Corey Hart looks terribly slow in the field and is a mess at the plate.

THIS GARBAGE IS UNACCEPTABLE. People are paying record prices for these tickets and are coming out in record numbers. It disgusts me that when the national spotlight is on us and we have a chance to do something really special, this team rolls over and looks awful in every aspect.

WHO IS IN CHARGE HERE?

WHERE IS THE ACCOUNTABILTY?

WHERE ARE THE FUNDAMENTALS?

Archived