Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 5)

twobrewers

THIS year he is .284/.365/.407 for an OPS agaisnt of .772. I would consider that pretty good but not great by any means.

A .365 OBPA is teh suck, imo. I'd take that offensive line for just about any position on the diamond.

My vent is that Yost, 'seen 'im get sum rightees out -- he gets rightees out!'

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Using one year splits on a reliever is the problem. Shouse hasn't changed his delivery he is exactly the same pitcher he has always been with the Brewers. The difference is that he's been lucky this year with a BABIP of .280. No he doesn't tend to give up home runs but he has huge problems getting right handed hitters out.

Community Moderator

I don't like the use of minor leaguers in a close game in a pennant race. How does Craig Counsell feel about suddenly being about #10 on the bench? I'm not a big Counsell fan, but at least he is a major league caliber player, unlike Gwynn and Nelson. Gwynn is one of the few players who can't even hit the ball as hard as Counsell can, and that's saying something. As for Nelson, it would be a cute story if he came through in his MLB debut, but as expected with a nervous young player, he swung at the first pitch and grounded out.

It's nice that "the future" is up in the majors, but the future is NOW with the current 25-man roster. I really don't care to see how Gamel, Nelson, Escobar, or anyone else can play. We won 80 games with the 25 guys that we have, why not just get a 3rd catcher and a few extra bullpen arms and leave everyone else the way it is. None of the other players should EVER be used in a game like this, they have NO major league experience and now it NOT a good time to find out whether or not they will succeed.

Chalk up another loss to the save rule.

The more baseball I watch the more ridiculous it becomes that the best relief pitcher can't pitch with the opponent's best players at bat because it isn't the 9th inning.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

It's time to get Gagne back on the roids. There is barely any time left in the season for him to get caught, and if he is caught, who cares. He'll be gone next year anyway. Personal health be darned, he already sold his soul to the PED gods.

I'm still amazed that David Riske is a major-league pitcher. Whenever I watch him pitch, I am amazed that he can get guys out with nothing that resembles a really good pitch.

Me too. A high 80's fastball with no good breaking pitch and he can actually get hitters out?

So with all these better left handed bat options on the bench now, Yost goes with Gywnn in that spot? Over Gamel, Nelson, Escobar, Durham, Counsell and Nix? Wow, that was just stupid. The only thing Gwynn should do this September is pinch run late in a game.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

You know, I am amazed at the free pass Riske is getting in all this. His failure to throw strikes forced Ned's hand to use an extra reliever, our second lefty no less, and that hampered our ability to play matchups late in the game.

Had Riske not failed, it is possible Gagné faces Murphy and Wright, with Stetter coming on for Delgado and either staying on for Beltran and Church, or turning the game over to Torres. Because Riske failed, the 8th was Gagné's inning to lose in Ned's mind. Just a thought.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

The only thing Gwynn should do this September is pinch hit late in a game.

I assume you mean pinch-run? I'd agree with that. Yost manages time after time after time based on what he wants to see happen, and PHing TGJ was yet another example.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The only thing Gwynn should do this September is pinch hit late in a game.

I assume you mean pinch-run? I'd agree with that. Yost manages time after time after time based on what he wants to see happen, and PHing TGJ was yet another example.

Yeah, I did mean run. Don't know why I typed hit.

I to think Riskie is some to blame today. Heck he can be to blame for the Cardinals loss as well. He has been shaky as of late.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Chalk up another loss to the save rule.

The more baseball I watch the more ridiculous it becomes that the best relief pitcher can't pitch with the opponent's best players at bat because it isn't the 9th inning.

It sure is baffling, but hard to blame Ned given all managers do it

Tejada/Berkman/Lee could be due up in the 8th with the other team up a run, but the best relief pitcher is never brought in. Then the lead is lost there and the closer never gets in the game.

David Riske can just go right on back to KC for all I care and Joakim Soria can come to Milwaukee. He just plain sucks. Oh yeah, he can take Gagne with him.

You forgot to expand your post so I did it for you. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived