Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 5)

twobrewers
  • Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mentioned this in the IGT for Sheets' last start. He has a problem with losing focus late in games that are close and that he's pitched well in throughout his career. Tonight a 1-2 hanging 2-seamer to Geoff Blum gets hit out for a 3 run lead. All he had to do was keep it down for 3 straight pitches and Blum would have struck out. There is a reason he has not won more than 12 games in his career, and it's looking like he may struggle to break that personal best again. He's a good pitcher, but he's not a #1 and the Brewers should not make an effort to re-sign him. Parra and Yo will be better in their careers, and cheaper in the short term.

Hey Sheets, you've been outpitched by Dave Bush since the break. Maybe even Suppan. Some dink GM will still give him 90 mil for 5 years. We should start calling you Ben "Big Game" Sheets. No wait, Ben Sheets "the bed." That's better.

Ned Yost feels Ben "pitched well, except for those 4 or 5 pitches he left over the plate that led to 5 runs over 6 innings. He battled." ....and that JJ making the first out at third and Cameron getting thrown out by 25 feet at home by Hunter Pence who was playing at the edge of the outfield grass is classified as "okay in his book" and "aggressive base running." Has anyone checked Dale Sveum for some sort of tick or twitch that causes his arm to rotate in a clockwise motion at all times?

Wow, there's no such thing as mistakes in Ned's "book", especially those committed by him. Ned sure is good at talking out of anything and admitting nothing at the same time, he should've been a politician instead, he has a "talent" for it unlike his current job.

Is it wrong to say that I think Sheets is choking big time? His only win since we got CC was against the freaking Nationals. He imploded against the Cubs, he imploded against the Padres & Peavy, and now he got beat by Geoff freaking Blum and Michael freaking Bourn. I think it is about time you step up Ben. I know he hasn't been god awful but it seems to me that he is feeling the pressure and isn't pitching like he should. I am not very confident at all right with him on the mound if it is a close game in the 5th-7th innings

So with a RHP starting, Yost puts Counsell and his massive OPS vs RHP into the line-up, but starts Kapler instead of Nix. I know this isn't as black and white as countless other Yostifications, but the logic doesn't work for me.
It seems to me at this point in time, with Cameron pretty hot, that he should be batting third instead of Kapler. Of course, to Ned, that

would mean putting Cameron in leftfield and Kapler in centerfield.

I'm so sick of the number of guys that get caught in a rundown on an RBI extra-base hit. It's happening too much and it's just a waste of an out and a baserunner.

Last night JJ should have been happy with a double and stayed at second. There were no outs and we have our 3,4 and 5 hitters coming up. Why can't we be happy with what we have and stop trying to stretch things.

Between that and Sveum sending Cam, we gave up 2 runs!

Combine that with the men LOB and we're just throwing runs away. At least with the LOB they're potential runs. Both the botched plays last night were followed by hits. That's literally 2 runs off the board.

Last night JJ should have been happy with a double and stayed at second. There were no outs and we have our 3,4 and 5 hitters coming up. Why can't we be happy with what we have and stop trying to stretch things.
Durham got a late jump because he wasn't sure if Pence was going to catch it so Hardy started going to third hoping that the relay would go there instead of home where they would've had a decent shot to throw Durham out.

Terrible base running by the brewers but have to blame the Horrible 3rd base coach . Sveum is terrible as he was in Boston and needs to be sent packing after the season.
Yeah, he definitely needs to go. That Cameron play yesterday was the worst play I ever remember seeing at a baseball game. First of all the ball wasn't hit hard so Cameron had to freeze to make sure Berkman didn't catch it, Pence was playing shallow and has a good arm so I just assumed that we would have the bases loaded with one out. Instead the rally killer decides to run the Brewers out of a potentially big inning.

Ben Sheets is not choking. Ben Sheets is not in need of a gut check. Ben Sheets is not sulking in the shadow of C.C. Sabathia.

He had a .400 BABIP against in July. This is simply variance -- his season total of .286 is right around the mean nearly every pitcher's BABIP inevitably regresses to -- in other words, July was bad luck. His ERA results were heavily impacted by this, and combined with a lack of run support in general since the AS break, it has created a perception of a struggling pitcher where none exists.

At this point, I'm just waiting for the first jerk to suggest that McClung should be given Sheets's spot in the rotation.

Archived