Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 5)

twobrewers
  • Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ned's quotes last night, combined with equally puzzling comments he's stated before about not bringing in relievers when its not a save situation - I can't recall exact moment but it was a Mota vs Villy comment I wanna say post that Colorado blowup game, continue to lead to to think that Ned manages this team like it's a fantasy team. At times I feel he manages to stats more than a win. I can't help it, but I feel at certain points he's managed for stats like saves or CGs more than making the decisions that at that moment give you the best change to win.

I don't like Gagne in my bullpen. He has been, without a doubt, a very poor investment.

However, Milwaukee fans booing him tonight when he came into the game was a disgrace.

I believe most people were booing Ned's decision to take CC out, and then the booing was compounded by the fact that Gagne was replacing CC.

Ned's quotes last night, combined with equally puzzling comments he's stated before about not bringing in relievers when its not a save situation - I can't recall exact moment but it was a Mota vs Villy comment I wanna say post that Colorado blowup game, continue to lead to to think that Ned manages this team like it's a fantasy team. At times I feel he manages to stats more than a win. I can't help it, but I feel at certain points he's managed for stats like saves or CGs more than making the decisions that at that moment give you the best change to win.

He always does this. A starter needs to really blow up not to make it through the 5th. And if the starter gives up 4 runs in the top of the 5th but the Brewers tie it in the bottom of the 5th, that starter will be sent back out there to get a chance at the win. And no matter the situation, a save means the closer. So you can have 2 outs with a 4 run lead in the 9th but if that 3rd batter reaches on an error, get Torres going because one more base runner and its a save!

Anyone notice JJ dogging it out of the box on his groundout ending the 9th inning? He didn't start running until the SS bobbled it. I had the Padres feed and they showed the replay. That could have been the difference between him being safe and out, and so could have won the game right there.

Is it too much to ask that JJ runs out a ground ball in the 9th inning with the game on the line? That was flipping ridiculous. He should be embarrassed.

PS - Yost is an idiot for pulling CC.

Hardy is just slow, he wasn't dogging it, he just isn't fast
This is the absolute truth. People don't always realize this because he's a SS and not a fatso, but the guy is so slow. He might have decent side-to-side movement, but his forward movement is just terrible. I was at the game Monday and he hit a triple and watching him run the bases was hilarious. He has no acceleration and his top speed is laughable. Especially when watching Reyes, lol.

Hardy wasn't dogging anything. The guy is really that slow. We always refer to him as "wheels", sarcastically of course. (no, we're not trying to be too witty here rofl)

Hardy is just slow, he wasn't dogging it, he just isn't fast
This is the absolute truth. People don't always realize this because he's a SS and not a fatso, but the guy is so slow. He might have decent side-to-side movement, but his forward movement is just terrible. I was at the game Monday and he hit a triple and watching him run the bases was hilarious. He has no acceleration and his top speed is laughable. Especially when watching Reyes, lol.

Hardy wasn't dogging anything. The guy is really that slow. We always refer to him as "wheels", sarcastically of course. (no, we're not trying to be too witty here rofl)

Yes he is slow. I know that. I think anyone who watches the Brewers knows that. I don't even think his range is that great at SS.

But ... he dogged it out of the box. I was watching the SD feed and they showed a replay isolated on just him as he broke out of the box. He took a few casual jogging steeps and when he looked out and saw the bobble, he put his head down and picked it up. Gwynn and the other guy were criticizing him. Maybe he would have been out anyway, but it would have been damn close. I expect more in the bottom of the 9th with the winning run on third when the team is in a pennant race.

In 2007 the Brewers had highly publicized 60 yd dash runs in Spring Training. JJ finished with a 6.71, ahead of Rickie Weeks and Ryan Braun. Yes, the guy does look slow and runs with a strange gait, but his actual speed when timed is not as bad as it looks.
I find this very hard to believe. No way he's faster than Weeks or Braun. Maybe THEY were dogging it.

But ... he dogged it out of the box. I was watching the SD feed and they showed a replay isolated on just him as he broke out of the box. He took a few casual jogging steeps and when he looked out and saw the bobble, he put his head down and picked it up. Gwynn and the other guy were criticizing him. Maybe he would have been out anyway, but it would have been damn close. I expect more in the bottom of the 9th with the winning run on third when the team is in a pennant race.
I didn't notice last night, but I have seen JJ do this quite a bit this year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
bullox wrote:

In 2007 the Brewers had highly publicized 60 yd dash runs in Spring Training. JJ finished with a 6.71, ahead of Rickie Weeks and Ryan Braun. Yes, the guy does look slow and runs with a strange gait, but his actual speed when timed is not as bad as it looks.

Yeah that was a hand timed 60 yard dash. It's very possible whomever was timing was early with the clicker when JJ ran. There is no way he's faster than Weeks or Braun.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

In no way is Hardy even close to Braun, Hart, and Weeks.
Do you have any stats to back that up? I can see maybe a tenth or two tenths of a second tolerance with hand timing. That said, even with that tolerance on the favorable side, Weeks and Braun were only just as fast as Hardy. Being as objective as possible. I see no numbers that back up your claim, but I'd gladly eat my words if you could produce them.

bullox wrote:

Yeah that was a hand timed 60 yard dash. It's very possible whomever was timing was early with the clicker when JJ ran. There is no way he's faster than Weeks or Braun.
Yeah, any track coach (like myself) will tell you, don't trust hand timing in any event shorter than 400 meters. The shorter the event, the less reliable the hand time is. The .14 difference between JJ's 6.71 and Rickie's 6.85 is probably the result of someone with an inconsistent trigger finger at the start or the finish.

During September, the Brewers have averaged 13 baserunners per game. Not bad.

With those 13 baserunners per game, the Brewers have averaged 2.5 runs per game. Bad.

It almost seems like it would be tricky to pull off that low of a ratio. I'm glad CC was good yesterday, and big ups to Benny tonight for being phenomenal. I'm still concerned about the offense though.

In no way is Hardy even close to Braun, Hart, and Weeks.
Do you have any stats to back that up? I can see maybe a tenth or two tenths of a second tolerance with hand timing. That said, even with that tolerance on the favorable side, Weeks and Braun were only just as fast as Hardy. Being as objective as possible. I see no numbers that back up your claim, but I'd gladly eat my words if you could produce them.

It's always seemed very obvious to me that JJ isn't a fast runner. But if you need some stats to take a look, stolen bases seems a pretty obvious stat to use. Of the everyday starters, JJ has the fewest stolen bases this season, with 2. Last year he had, 2. In his career he has...5. And he's been caught 5 times.

Heck, Prince has over double the career stolen bases as JJ.

This past week has demonstrated our Achilles heals:

1. Just throw the pitch, and our batters will find a way to make an out. This is especially true if we have runners on base.

2. If you wait, all pitchers (not named Sheets, Sabathia, Torres) will start throwing batting practice.

Here's to your 2008 wild card champs, the Philadelphia Phillies.

(yes that partly supposed to be in blue, but I'm so frustrated at this team, and their inability to beat anyone but the Pirates/Nationals down the stretch .. well I guess we own the Cardinals this year when we're not waking those sleeping giants).

Archived