Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 5)

twobrewers
  • Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yosted. Unbelievable.

Worst. Manager. Ever.

Best 2 hitters are lefties, we have 2 lefties....let's put in the reliever with a 6.67 ERA (who just blew a game in the exact same scenario) and yea....imagine that, he gives up the lead.

Yosted.

I just got home, saw the score, and was shocked CC gave up 2 runs to the Padres.

Turns out...

WHY IS GAGNE STILL ON THE TEAM?

He is here to extend the misery of us Brewer fans, I was wondering what would finally bring us down this year. Oh well, at least it is football season, I usually stop paying attention to the Brewers at this time anyway so Gagne is just in time. Yost will be let go after the season, that is a bright side.

Wow, knock it down with your fat body and just walk over to first base!!!!!

Whew, got out of it at least.

Kendall, Counsell, Durham due up in the 9th...wow, that sounds like a winning combination. A solid 6 HR combined on the year!!

2 straight games the Padres shortstop boots a ball with a man on third...both times it falls right in front of him and he gets the out at first base. A foot further or if it scoots away, game over. Not that we deserve it, but it would be nice to catch a break.

Yosted. Again. I don't care if it's 0-2 on Corey Hart...he's in a slump, he's one of the best bunters on the team, you have him bunt!!!!!!!! Worst case he strikes out. No, let's let him swing and groung into an inning killing double play. Of course, if we could get any hits with RISP, we still could have won in the last couple innings.

Our hitters really should be embarrassed.

We get runners on, and it's like they forget how to play baseball.

It's been like that all year, we just hit enough homers and win enough one runners to cover it. But it has been our achilles heal and at this moment seems to be bringing us down.

Doug Melvin's failure to address our bullpen at the trade deadline may cost us dearly either in our hopes to make the playoffs, or in the playoffs.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Man, I've managed to avoid this thread all year, but I'm just wondering when Ned's going to figure out he's in a playoff race, and quit using Eric Gagne in pressure situations.

I know we're supposed to believe that we're all just fans, and the guys making the decisions who are in the clubhouse everyday know better than us, but honestly, there's dozens of posters on this site (hell, probably hundreds) that could manage better than Ned.

Craig Counsell, who does all the "little things".

I know we won, but jeez does Ned piss me off in his press conferences.

"I can't keep putting CC past 120 pitches! I just can't!"

Well jeez, who's the genius that has been pitching him 120+ pitches in blowouts, thus making him "unavailable" to go past 106 tonight?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Well jeez, who's the genius that has been pitching him 120+ pitches in blowouts, thus making him "unavailable" to go past 106 tonight?

AMEN! 130 pitches in a game they were winning by 7 going into the 9th, and here's a game where we REALLY could have used him in the 8th, but Ned's getting cold feet.

And I know some people will point at the offense and say "they only scored 2 runs by that point, if they score more it's moot".

No it's not, the context is the 8th inning guy is brought in to protect a 1 run lead, whether it's 8 to 7, or 2 to 1. And lately (ha!) Gagne can't be trusted in a pressure situation.

I think he should have left CC out there, but I think most of the other times there was an extra day off between CC's starts and there isn't a day off for a while now. That may be the difference this time.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Ned Yost does not deserve to get paid for tonight's game. He should be getting his verbal warning right now. Next step is a written warning. Then discipline including up to termination. I know the Crew won and all, but the Milwaukee media completely wussed out tonight, big time.

I think he should have left CC out there, but I think most of the other times there was an extra day off between CC's starts and there isn't a day off for a while now. That may be the difference this time.

An extra day off is really no excuse for that. He says, it's okay, there's an extra day off so he could go 130 pitches in a blowout but then says I can't keep letting him go 120 pitches everytime out when it actually made sense this time.

Ned is a complete buffoon. Even if we make the playoffs, I want him fired.

I can't even begin to fathom the following quotes:

"In a one run game you've got no margin for error. CC had gone through 7 strong innings at 106 pitches. I know that if I sent CC out he was going to finish the 8th. I wasn't going to bring anyone else in to give up his runs, if anyone else got on."

"It's not fair in a one run game to bring in your closer or your 8th inning guy with guys all over the bases. It's not fair to CC, and it's not fair to him (the reliever)."

Isn't that what relief pitchers are for, to relieve a pitcher who is in a situation they cannot finish themselves? And even so, if you're going to use a reliever, do you have to use the worst guy you have in your bullpen in a high leverage situation? Your rubber-armed closer has pitched 90+ games in a season, I think he might be capable of pitching 2 innings in relief.

I mean seriously, I heard those quotes and instantly began laughing. It is unfathomable how stuck in his ways Ned is with his bullpen, but because 95% of managers in baseball are the same way, no one notices.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Sadly I think preserving a shoutout or a CG is more important to Yost than not bringing in a RP with runners on in a close game since that 'isn't fair to the RP or the starter'. It just goes to show how obviously clueless he is when it comes to running a bullpen.

It is unfathomable how stuck in his ways Ned is with his bullpen, but because 95% of managers in baseball are the same way, no one notices.
When it comes to using closers, yes, most other managers are stubborn like Ned. However, those quotes you posted are a completely different story. I don't know of many managers who don't use relievers in the middle of an inning to attempt to get out of jams. Ned's reasoning is completely idiotic. It's not fair??? Ned's PRIMARY (by a long shot) concern needs to be winning games. Period. Everything else is a distant second - particularly the "fairness" of which player's ERA and W-L record gets effected.

This is a pennant race for God's sake, and we have to listen to this kind of stuff? Win the games doofus. That's the only fair thing to do for the fans, after 26 years of misery.

Archived