Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 5)

twobrewers
A 15 game lead is more like what it is going to take to hang onto any wildcard hopes. Never underestimate Ned's ability to completely wreck a pennant race. Versus NY's right handed pitching closer Ayala, Ned waited until our final out to put in the one and only left handed pinch hitter of the final inning tonight (he had at least 3 left on the bench at that point). Then he burned a left-handed hitter up by pinch running Gwynn when there was plenty of right handed speed on the bench, bringing Weeks to the plate for the third out. Just wait...we are going to see more of this the remainder of the month.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
windiv07 wrote

Then he burned a left-handed hitter up by pinch running Gwynn when there was plenty of right handed speed on the bench, bringing Weeks to the plate for the third out.

I think calling Gwynn a hitter is a stretch.

I only wish we were up by 10 games so that maybe some people wouldn't get quite as worked up over a couple losses. No, I am not talking about the people posting in the vent thread. That's what the thread is for. I just saw a whole vent thread appear in the In-Game thread forum.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If the Brewers batting average with RISP was 20 points higher they would have a little "x" by their name in the standings: clinched division title. I joke, of course. Of the Brewers 58 losses this year, it seems like they have rarely been blown out of the park. It's either a) leave an army of runners on base or b) have the bullpen blow the game. Sprinkle in some crappy defense and a pinch of questionable baserunning and you have yourself a recipe for some really frustrating losses.

That being said, they still have a 4 1/2 game lead and with the Padres and Reds coming to town they can get healthy again.

Maybe our guys need to swing harder with runners in scoring position. Yeah, that's it. Swing so hard that you almost fall down. What? We already do that? Hmm, time for a new plan....

On the plus side, Ned FINALLY pinch hit for Kendall. Sure it took him until the 10th inning of a game on September 2nd to do it, but hey, baby steps, right?

Rickie Weeks goes 4-6 and still manages to be a goat. He needs to go, find a replacement. Awful defense, awful hitting, he's just awful.

Let's play, 'Name the Goat!', the hottest new gameshow around!

Manny Parra: 5 IP, 6 H, 5 R (4 ER)

Rickie Weeks: 4-6 with a HR, finished 2 of 2 double plays

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Weeks...finished 2 of 2 double plays
Come on man. Are we seriously giving credit now for turning double plays that should be completed pretty routinely? The fact that you have to point out Weeks successfully completed two whole double plays speaks volumes about him...

The fact that anyone points to Weeks as the goat today is just laughable. If you'd like, I can go take that part of my post out... the goat is still clearly Parra. What bugs me so much at this point is not people feeling frustrated about Weeks, it's that he hasn't been the biggest problem * Bill Hall * cough * with this team for two full months now... and people are still blaming him. I mean, at least pick one of the many nights where Rickie goes 0-4, not the one where he's the standout performer.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I know that they would be in the playoffs if it ended today, and you can't make too much from a series let alone a game, and that they still have a nice lead (If they were this far down the pessimist in me would never expect the team ahead to blow it). Still, in my opinion the Cubs series at the end of July and this series against the Mets tell us something about this team. Here were two opportunities, at home, to solidify your playoff chances by beating the very teams that may keep you out and thus far they are 0-6 in those games. It's depressing. It's irrational to be depressed by it, but I'm depressed by it.
You may run like Mays...

Every team needs a scapegoat and Rickie Weeks is it for this team. Him or Ned Yost. There were a lot of guys who did not do what was needed last night, including Parra, Fielder, Hardy (had an error that lead to a run), Braun (bad K with guys on), and Cameron. However, it is easier to blame one guy, even though he was on base 4 times. He definitely hurt the team a couple times but like I said there are a lot of other people to shoulder some of this blame.

I have to put out an SOS for Prince it time to get your Head out your Butt and start Playing ball. You want that big contract well start playing for it. I am also getting tired of Dale Bonehead plays @ 3rd base he is totally horrible.

Again what worse is that the Astros keep beating the cubs while we throw away ball games

This would be the third time I can think of this year when the Brewers could be swept by a playoff probable (Red Sox, Cubs, and now Mets).

The way they've looked borderline-capable during these dead streaks - all in games which should show how they stack up against the competition - really has me worried about their expectations going into the playoffs. I wasn't worried previously....but I'm getting there now.

If it were just that the bats or pitching went cold, I could deal with that....but the mental errors (defense, hanging pitches, and stranding baserunners) made me change the channel last night, and turn off today's game. (I'll still keep track of the box score online, and tune back in when they show signs of life, but I don't like to watch when they play like this.)

"Sheets and CC, then pray for relief-y."

When is it the Brewers turn to get 2 runs no 1 hit in an inning? Oh that's right, we'd have to actually take 2 walks in an inning, then get a clutch hit.

Mitch Stetter - try learning how to throw strikes once in a while.

And Brewers, it is OK to actually hit a HR with the bases loaded. Not that we had a chance today, but seriously, other teams do it all the time. Is it really that difficult of a feat for a team near the top of the league in HR???!?!

The strikeouts in important situations. Would it hurt to make contact and at least try to move a runner over? I know that this problem is a result of having a team that is reliant on the long ball, but you sure don't see the Mets flailing away like the Brewers.

listening to the game today on gameday audio, it sounds so much like a game out of the Bad News Bears--even if it really isn't. Start off in a huge hole. Start to claw back but give runs right back. Walking the ballpark. Hits galore for the opponents.

I will forgive all if the Crew can score 6 or more right now, though.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Missing the playoffs this season would be even more disappointing than last seasons collapse. Even if we do get in we havent shown that we can beat playoff caliber teams anyway. Getting swept at home by the Cubs and Mets shows that this team isnt ready for the bigtime. I have a really bad feeling about the rest of this season.

Archived