Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 5)

twobrewers

Putting Riske and Gagne in the same group is insulting to Riske.

Gagne has a 6.80 ERA. Let me say that again, he has a 6.80 ERA!!!

That is the most rediculously awful ERA ever for a pitcher playing a significant role for a September contending team. Gagne might not even be an MLB pitcher next year.

Stetter and Dillard really need to step up.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gagne has given up a run in 4 of his last 19 outings. Please quit over reacting. Gagne is fine
Have you looked at Gagne's numbers since last year's trade deadline? I didn't think so. He's been beyond atrocious during his last 60 innings.

State it as fact as much as you want -- he's not fine. He's a worthless, stinky, hairy Frenchman.

Gagne has given up a run in 4 of his last 19 outings. Please quit over reacting. Gagne is fine
That's not right. It should say....

"Gagne has given up a run or more in 5 of his last 19 outings." or "Gagne has an ERA of 6.61 over his last 19 outings."

Not only did I have to suffer the intolerable heat sitting in the third base terrace level at MP yesterday, but Sheets leaves a game early, once again. Is there any doubt this guy is less than an ideal #1 starter at this point? Yes, when he's on, he's good...but come on. I thought acquiring Sabathia would make him step up a little more, but he really hasn't looked dominate at all in the last couple months.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Gagne is the new Turnbow. He looks good for 4 consecutive games and lulls us into believing in him and then he goes out and gets shelled in a big game. It seems as soon as he gives up a hit he completely loses it. To throw an 0-2 pitch to a power hitter where he threw it is just mind boggling

Bill I know you played some good defense yesterday but that was just pathetic at the plate, did you even have your eyes open when you swung?

Look, between Riske, Gagne and Mota, Yost should be going with the hot hand for the 8th inning and forget about roles. Mota has the hot hand right now. He should have pitched the 8th.

Yost also needs to preserve a lefty for use in 8th against teams with lefty power like the Mets. He used them up too early yesterday. He should have gambled that Villanueva (lefties hitting just .221 against him) could get Delgado after he fanned Wright in the 6th.

In a 2-0 game, I was absolutely fine with Yost using Shouse there. As has been mentioned, if Riske didn't load his diaper, Stetter would have been there for the 8th, and I liked that Mitch was used when he was yesterday.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

BrewCityUnit[/b]]Gagne has given up a run in 4 of his last 19 outings. Please quit over reacting. Gagne is fine

what's your point? He's horrible. Quit cherry picking and saying he isn't doing that bad......he has the 2nd worst ERA for relief pitchers with 30+ innings pitched. Those stats don't lie....and they aren't cherry picked. He is what he is.....horrid.

Plain and simple....end of story.

Wow, condescending much?

I think its entirely fair to look at recent history over total stats. A few years ago Cordero was horrid for a month or two with the Rangers, after which he was much better. And so despite his poor start, the Brewers brought him over in the trade, and really did well for themselves. If they had just the total season stats, they may not have thought that Cordero was all that great.

With relief pitchers, who pitch so few of innings, a few bad outings can skew their stats for their entire season. Now I'm not saying that Gagne is all that great of a pitcher, I don't think he has much left, but it would be entirely fair to show how he was doing after coming off the IR. With relief pitchers, often you have to look beyond the simple ERA because small samples can skew numbers in one direction or another for a number of reasons.

Look, I probably wouldn't have gone with Gagne last night either. But to go all condescending on a poster because he used a group of stats you don't like is a bit ridiculous.

Look, I probably wouldn't have gone with Gagne last night either. But to go all condescending on a poster because he used a group of stats you don't like is a bit ridiculous.

Brew City used a group of stats to make Gagne's recent pitching performances look more acceptable, but as I stated in my post above, the information that he quoted isn't even correct.

I want to be able to defend Gagne. I want to see him succeed, but the fact of the matter is that he gets one oppertunity after another to prove his worth and he continually fails. For whatever reason, he just doesn't have "it" like he used to. He needs to be reserved for mop up duties.

Archived