Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 5)

twobrewers

When Weeks hits a ball hard for an out - Yost says he is unlucky.

When Sheets gets hit hard - but for outs, Yost thinks Sheets is talented.

It was pretty obvious in the 7th today that Sheets was suddenly getting hit really hard. Why Shouse didn't face Gerut is beyond me.

-----

Continued from:

viewtopic.php?p=419988#p419988

Original Lead:

viewtopic.php?t=10651

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since July 1, Kendall is .186/.281/.248. Over that same span, Counsell is .179/.294/.214.
Those stats right there are pretty much the beginning and the end of the debate, as to whether those two players are receiving far too much playing time.

Division winning teams never lose.

Face it that is basically what all these complaints about division winning teams say. Every minor little reason for a loss gets blamed on 'division winning teams don't do this' even though every division winning team does exactly what the post says at some point. Sorry but I'm just sick and tired of all the nitpicking over every single loss by the team and saying we aren't good because we lost a game. We have the 2nd best record in the NL and would be leading at least 3 if not 4 divisions in baseball atm even with the flaw that is losing games now and then and not playing perfect every single day.

Ennder wrote:

Every minor little reason for a loss gets blamed on 'division winning teams don't do this' even though every division winning team does exactly what the post says at some point.

But Tom H says that playoff teams sweep bad teams.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Since July 1, Kendall is .186/.281/.248. Over that same span, Counsell is .179/.294/.214.
Those stats right there are pretty much the beginning and the end of the debate, as to whether those two players are receiving far too much playing time.

But didn't you hear the broadcast yesterday... Counsell's stellar defense warrants his 500th start in a row.

(As if that makes any sense considering he was playing for J.J. yesterday.)

At some point having Counsell and kendall in the lineup everyday is going to cost us big time. They are both basically automatic outs and make it very difficult for this team to score consistently. Rivera has been tremendous when he has played yet he never does. He needs to play at least twice a week not twice a month. As far as Counsell is concerned his defensive contributions have been strongly overrated and his offense is just flat out embarrassing. We have been winning because our starting pitching has been awesome but at some point the offense is gonna need to score some runs and that task is gonna be very hard if Counsell and kendall play everyday.

At some point having Counsell and kendall in the lineup everyday is going to cost us big time. They are both basically automatic outs and make it very difficult for this team to score consistently. Rivera has been tremendous when he has played yet he never does. He needs to play at least twice a week not twice a month. As far as Counsell is concerned his defensive contributions have been strongly overrated and his offense is just flat out embarrassing. We have been winning because our starting pitching has been awesome but at some point the offense is gonna need to score some runs and that task is gonna be very hard if Counsell and kendall play everyday.

I hope you're not right, but part of me has exactly the same fear. Basically, the team is running 3/4 of an offense out there (6 competent batters instead of 8) -- and getting away with it, at least for now, because of the starting pitching and HR's. (Not to mention the schedule.)

And speaking of the schedule: has anyone else noticed that the Astros are over .500 and playing well?

I really thought this team was past the point of having deadweight in the lineup. But atleast IMO on the majority of nights we have 3 "easy" outs in Counsell, Kendall, and the pitcher. And on many nights you can add Weeks to that list as well. We can't really consistently beat the good teams with this crap can we? Just seems like playoff teams don't have a leadoff hitter with an OBP around .330, a #6 hitter who on a good day can hit it to the warning track, a #8 hitter who on a good day can roll one out to the warning track, and then there is a pitcher. We have way to many holes right now it seems. Thank goodness for our starting rotation and thank goodness that Prince and Corey are hot right now with Cameron and Weeks also picking it up a bit. Yost can't really think that having Counsell and Kendall start every day gives them the best chance to win can he?

I'm fine with Counsell spelling J.J. once a week or so. I don't want to see that shoulder injury flaring up. With Branyan out, a start or two per week at 3B might be justifiable, but not really desirable.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Non-Brewers vent, sorry.

I went to U.S. Cellular Field yesterday for the White Sox-Royals game. Overall, I thought the stadium was pretty nice and I saw an entertaining game, the White Sox hit back-to-back-to-back-to-back home runs. Anyway, throughout the entire game people were getting up/going back to their seats during every single inning. It was honestly a surprise if you saw an entire at bat without someone partially blocking your view. After the first couple innings I looked around the stadium and noticed that people all over were getting up in the middle of at-bats, not just our section. Was this just a rare occurrence, or are the fans that go just inconsiderate to other people? I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has been there if they've noticed the same thing.

Thank goodness for our starting rotation and thank goodness that Prince and Corey are hot right now with Cameron and Weeks also picking it up a bit. Yost can't really think that having Counsell and Kendall start every day gives them the best chance to win can he?

I don't know what else Yost is supposed to do with regards to these perceived lineup problems? You could juggle the lineup all around, but we've seen that tree bears no fruit (Braun 4th, Fielder 3rd,Hardy 7th,Kendall 9th,Cameron 2nd). This team has won 70 games and a majority of the time, it is with guys knowing their role and playing in a set position in the lineup without changing it up every day to accomedate 1 new face.

As far as Craig Counsell at third base, I don't get the big deal. Until Doug Melvin moves up another infielder, it's going to be Counsell vs RHP. Branyan is now hurt, but he was our only LH pop off the bench for late in games and Bill Hall vs LHP or lefty relievers. Counsell's avg.OBP mirrors Weeks, but Weeks does have better SB potential once getting on, so hence he stays at 1 and Counsell at 6. Now, you could move Cameron to 6 and Counsell to 7, but again, now you are juggling two guys where Cameron has been productive right where he's at.

I'm all for giving Mike Rivera an extra start or two a month, but that is it. Our pitching staff is the key to victory and Jason Kendall has been handling them well. This team is 10-3 so far in August and I don't see why there is this sudden itch to scramble for all these changes because the lower part of the batting order is :gasp: hitting below average.

Non-Brewers vent, sorry.

I went to U.S. Cellular Field yesterday for the White Sox-Royals game. Overall, I thought the stadium was pretty nice and I saw an entertaining game, the White Sox hit back-to-back-to-back-to-back home runs. Anyway, throughout the entire game people were getting up/going back to their seats during every single inning. It was honestly a surprise if you saw an entire at bat without someone partially blocking your view. After the first couple innings I looked around the stadium and noticed that people all over were getting up in the middle of at-bats, not just our section. Was this just a rare occurrence, or are the fans that go just inconsiderate to other people? I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has been there if they've noticed the same thing.

The same thing happens all the time at Miller Park these days. I wait until between at bats to get up or to sit down. I wish more people would learn this simple piece of baseball etiquette.

My rant:

Once again, Ned Yost is proving he has no idea the difference between good execution and good results. Continuing to pitch Mota in the 8th inning despite him being extremely lucky early in the season was one example, now the team winning despite Counsell and Kendall (who should at least be getting a day off a week!!).

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

This team is 10-3 so far in August and I don't see why there is this sudden itch to scramble for all these changes because the lower part of the batting order is :gasp: hitting below average.

You do have a good point. The team has been succeeding lately; there's no question about that. And so I don't think it's totally ridiculous to accuse us of nit-picking over Kendall and Counsell.

Still, the Brewers are not going to keep repeatedly playing last-place teams over the last 40 games. The next few series foes include the Dodgers, the Astros, the Cardinals, the Pirates (twice), and the Mets. The Pirates aside, those teams are actually halfway competent, and the Brewers are not going to win just by showing up (which is pretty much what happened in the Nats series; those four wins were pretty much freebies).

And so I don't think it's absurd to point out some potential problems with the lineup, if those are things that can potentially hurt the team when other factors (scheduling, overperforming starting pitching) eventually even out.

Whoa, sorry.. I was TOTALLY kidding. I thought it was blatant/stupid enough I didn't need blue font. You know I loathe Ned! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"I'm the manager. I'm very smart" -- is a vintage Yostian quote. Someone even had/has it as a sig here. Between that & the 'dugout couch' reference, I thought it was clear enough that blue font would have been redundant.

I just hope DougJones picked up on my poor attempt at 'humor'

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm venting that there were no vents about tonight's game. You guys (and gals) must've fallen asleep on your couches or something!

Okay, my real vent is that I'm pretty tired of Rickie Weeks' defense on potential double plays. In the first inning, Jeff Kent hits a hard ground ball to the right of second base, where Weeks is shaded(!) and he still tries his ole! backhand play and let's it get through. A Manny Ramirez base hit later and the Dodgers get a run.

Seriously, he's shaded towards the bag. He almost literally had to take one or two steps to his right to come up with the ball. But, NO, he has to try to backhand the darned ball.

Not to mention the "trademarked" side-armed throw later in the game that he threw away, right before Blake's homer. Yeah, he successfully turned the twin-killing with the side-arm throw later in the game, but it's so frustrating.

He's "worked so hard" in pre-game with the coaches, etc. etc. ad nauseum. We've heard this for years. But for some reason, in actual games, he turns into Shaquille O'Neal at the free-throw line, with a serious case of the yips.

End of vent.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived