Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 6)

DougJones43

It's all such informed criticism!

3) Ray Durham is terrible defensively. Worse than Weeks.

On the whole, I agree. And I also think that's saying a lot about Durham. No range. Would love to see him get some backup time at 3B.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's all such informed criticism!

On the whole, I agree. And I also think that's saying a lot about Durham. No range. Would love to see him get some backup time at 3B.

I think Durham should get some time at 3B because I think he is a better option offensively than either Hall or Counsell. Of course I am not sure he could hack it defensively.

My vent is that I am not even mad right now. I get mad for about 20 minutes after games and that's about it. I have no control over the outcome of games, why get to upset.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

My vent is that I am not even mad right now. I get mad for about 20 minutes after games and that's about it. I have no control over the outcome of games, why get to upset.

It's weird, but the more they lose, the less mad i've been getting. When they started this nosedive at home, i would watch the games and get all pissed off. The Mets series bothered me, but i wasn't convinced yet that a major major collapse was coming. Then, right around after the Padres series ended, i was nearly certain that a major collapse was in the making and now was expecting them to lose. Losing 2 of three from the Reds surprised me none. I fully them expected to lose at least 3 to Philly. I wanted to be wrong about the Reds/Phillies series, but i no longer felt the odds were really good that the Brewers were playoff bound, even with a decent lead in the standings.

For whatever reason, my expectation that the falling apart was only beginning, it helped soften the blow as it actually happened. When i checked the Brewers boxscore today after watching football, i was near certain they had lost, seeing they did barely even stung. I miss being angry by a loss, like i was most of the year. Now, i'm just hoping they show anything so that i feel bummed or angry again by a loss because things look grim.

On the whole, I agree. And I also think that's saying a lot about Durham. No range.

I have to disagree with this. I'll take limited range over botching balls hit right at you and not being able to turn the double play.

Apologies if this has been resolved already, but couldn't CC have pitched the final game of the series if the Brewers had agreed to move the make-up game to Monday? Or was it some hard-and-fast players' union thing?

Yeh. that would have been nice. Losing 2-1 instead of 6-1!

Apologies if this has been resolved already, but couldn't CC have pitched the final game of the series if the Brewers had agreed to move the make-up game to Monday?

Sure, but that wouldn't have happened. CC needed to pitch against the Cubs. That game matters so much more than these four did!!

I think both Yost and Melvin have to go.

The reasons Melvin needs to depart may not be as clear but I'll list them:

1. Failure to draft, develop, or trade for young bullpen arms.

2. Overreaction to pitching injuries in 2006, leading to the overvaluing of durability in the free agent market.

3. Not firing Yost after 2007.

4. Failure to acquire a lefthanded bat for 2008 that would balance off a terribly unbalanced lineup.

5. Signing Turnbow and Hall to long term deals.

6. Hiring Yost in 2003.

7. Signing Eric Gagne.

8. Overvaluing durability in the FA catcher market in 2008.

The Brewers had a great window of opportunity in 2007 and 2008. Of course it's not all Melvin's and Yost's fault. The players including a star who was focusing on his conforming his eating habits to please his PC wife instead of improving as a player had a lot to do with it too. But as the old saying goes you can't fire 25 guys.

7. Signing Eric Gagne.

I would change this to "Signing Gagne, and then continually letting him pitch" -- I think if they would have shut Gagne down a lot sooner, I could have lived with the signing

I will add one.

9. Letting Craig Counsell get 21 starts at 3b.

How many fantasy MLB teams are there? Maybe a billion? I bet of those billion teams, the cumulative starts at 3b for Counsell is less that 21 -- this would include fantasy teams owned by Counsell, his children, and extended family. Now I realize that Counsell needs to give teammates days off -- he got 30 starts at 2b/ss to give days of to JJ/Weeks -- but running continually running Counsell out as your 3b is bad management.

I think both Yost and Melvin have to go.

Agreed 100%

Why is Yost being allowed to finish this season? Hasnt he done enough damage to this teams chances. Lots of blame to go around including one Mark Attanasio who kept Yost this season. He has been a good owner financially but he should be able to see what a dope yost is. We went all in this year giving up a potential star in LaPorta and we will have nothing to show for it. Im pretty sure Attanasio wouldnt keep a money manager of his who keeps losing money but he keeps yost around to ruin seasons. Just makes no sense to me and it never will. Time to start over with Jack Z as GM and a manager that has no ties to the Milwaukee Brewers organization.

This isn't a vent, but I just realized if the Cubs win tomorrow and sweep us in Chicago, we will be there for the Cubs celebration of winning the NL Central. That would be the epitome of suck.

Not necessarily. While it is true that scenario would eliminate the Brewers from the NL Central, the Astros would still be alive with an elimination number of 1 unless they lose either Tuesday or Wednesday in Florida.

In the last month+, the Brewers have played 14 games against teams likely to be in the playoffs (Cubs, Mets, Phillies and Dodgers) - one win. One!

Prenetders! That said, amazingly, they still could end up in the playoffs.

At this point, barring a miracle, I'm on the verge of hoping the Brewers just get this over with on Sunday. It would take 6 straight losses and winning streaks by the Mets and Phils, but the insanity of such a streak would be a fitting end to the collapse. The fans have packed Miller Park for this bunch, and to have them have to suffer through official elimination at home is not a deserved end for them, especially as it will come either at the hands of an old nemesis (the Pirates) or the most-hated rival.

Archived