Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 6)

DougJones43
  • Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want Doug Melvin and Gord Ash accountable. I was on the fire Ned bandwagon in 2006 for failure. Then these two clueless hounds release Kremblas who has succeeded as a coach. He had a pretty much bare cubbard at AAA this year. But instead we look to hire every former Brewer as a coach in the majors. I bet the Rock gets the job next. Unreal.

I am also tired of the fans in complete denial about the failures that the GM has had such as Cameron in CF K'ing non-stop, Gagne, Riske, Counsell as the utility player, and other major screwups....

Bill Hall - It's official, 2006 was his aberration year...he's just not that good

Rickie Weeks - all the physical talent in the world, but not enough time spent by the organization to allow him to develop from a toolsy guy into a baseball player with great tools

Gagne should have never been signed

Riske has been a huge disappointment

Shouse shouldn't have to face opponents' RH studs late in games, ever

Suppan is proving to be a big time liability when building the roster going forward

The bullpen is full of retreads and marginal stuff guys - good for stretches and horrible for stretches, not even close to be reliable in a playoff series

As a team, the Brewers strike out too much, don't walk enough, and do a terrible job of making in-game adjustments. That combination leads to prolonged stretches of zero offensive production, and they couldn't have picked a worse time to go through it.

I'm done venting, I'm done with this team for the next week, and if certain personnel/managerial decisions aren't made to alter this organization in the offseason, I'll probably stop caring about opening day 2009.

This isn't a vent, but I just realized if the Cubs win tomorrow and sweep us in Chicago, we will be there for the Cubs celebration of winning the NL Central. That would be the epitome of suck.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

A few things I wish people who say they follow the Brewers would know:

1) Dave Bush doesn't suck. He's been head and shoulders above anything Parra or Soup has done since halfway through May

2) Mike Cameron is much, much better than Tony Gwynn at baseball.

3) Ray Durham is terrible defensively. Worse than Weeks.

4) Strikeouts are no worse than any other out. Really.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

A few things I wish people who say they follow the Brewers would know:

1) Dave Bush doesn't suck. He's been head and shoulders above anything Parra or Soup has done since halfway through May

2) Mike Cameron is much, much better than Tony Gwynn at baseball.

3) Ray Durham is terrible defensively. Worse than Weeks.

4) Strikeouts are no worse than any other out. Really.

strikeouts are ok if the batter has a decent .obp see burrell, and others.

big K totals bring a team down, and do have a major affect in runs scored--look at mike jacobs vs jim thome as example. when men are on base, things can happen.

when cameron is before hall, before kendall--not much will happen. the K is the same as any out is wrong, and this years brewers are a perfect example.

I've avoided ever even looking at the Vent Thread because there's enough negativism in so many other threads. I'd love to see the Crew turn it around and there's at least a mathematical chance they could (something -- anything -- to cling onto for hope!)... If there's a protocol to the vent thread, I'm unaware. Sorry, and beware....

I really cannot believe this! It's the Ultimate Death Spiral, edition 2008! I love this team and I've been a steadfast supporter of Yost as the manager. But just how many times can this team choke on its own vomit in the 2nd half of so many seasons, sending all the good work up to that point on an express route down the toilet?

I just don't get it. Not that I have any better ideas for who could manage this team. But this progression from position of strength to total collapse is becoming an annual trademark of Yost's teams. What kind of mental makeup do they have? Where is this roster's gumption, killer instinct, and leadership? Some of these other teams sure have it. Why not the Brewers? Why is it about any time either they have a golden opportunity to take a lead and run away with it, or their backs are truly up against the wall, the Brewers get that deer-in-the-headlights look, flinch, and get creamed? Think of that sweep in Boston in early July. Think of that Cubs series at the end of July. The Mets series at the start of this month and this series in Philly. Four crucial series against playoff teams and a total of ZERO freaking wins -- not even one game!!!!

And the thing is, once they got swept by the Mets, you could almost see this coming. Going into this Philly series, why did it just feel like even getting one win might be borderline miraculous?

Don't gag, but I do think Yost is a decent manager. That said, it just might not hurt my feelings to see a new guy doing that job next year.

I do see a couple good things within this picture, the sheer overall ugliness notwithstanding:

1. We're not hearing Yost babble like he did last year's September mantra/baloney, "Why is everyone so upset? We're still in first place." Maybe he finally figured out that the fans just aren't that stupid to buy that foolishness.

2. Melvin is a good GM. He's capable of proving it, just as he's done before. He just really needs to do so this winter to restore many fans' faith since it's been well documented, especially with certain players and with certain elements about the team's game, that the jig is up on the emperor's new clothes!

3. Ryan Braun can mash better than anyone on this roster, he isn't afraid to call a spade a spade, and he's here another 7 years. No whining, contract squabbles, or worrying about the home fans' booing. Just zero tolerance for failure.

4. At least we know some of Riske's sucking has medical justification -- it's not entirely that he lost all ability to pitch -- which at least has to be looked at as favorable since he's under contract for 2 more years.

5. The 2009 Brewers are under no obligation to employ a single major league player named Gagne or Turnbow.

And another rant is how we watched a real CF with speed do the little things to win. KKKKameron!
Yeah, screw you Cameron and your .840 OPS (3rd best on the team).

Who needs a great defensive CF when you are surrounded by a great defense.

He has been one of the top NL CF's this year and people still hate on him, amazing.

Archived