Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 6)

DougJones43
  • Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rm121978 wrote:

Gotta look at things realistically, folks.

Not sure about you, but I am looking at a bunch of young players who produced under expectations. All we lose is a starting pitcher since Gallardo should almost equal Sheets over a full season. A slight increase(not much to ask) from our young position players and we more than make up for the loss of CC.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Pinch hitting with CC doesn't make much sense to me. Sure the novelty of it is pretty fun, but at the end of the day, he is still a pitcher. There had to have been a better hitting option first off the bench than a pitcher.

Starting Suppan was a mistake. At the time of the signing I thought it was good because I can't remember the Brewers actually signing a player who had ever accomplished anything in his career before. But after learning about Suppan and his lack of pitching talent over the years has made me cringe to think that he's under contract for a couple more years and will be given the ball every 5th day because he's a veteran.

I think CC pinch hit to allow the fans to send him off and cheer for him one last time. There obviously were better pinch hit options, but I think the fans enjoyed him getting in the game.

I have to admit that thought definitely entered my mind when they sent him up there. But while that's nice and all, that may not have been the most aggressive managerial move to crawl back into that game.

I think CC pinch hit to allow the fans to send him off and cheer for him one last time. There obviously were better pinch hit options, but I think the fans enjoyed him getting in the game.
I don't know which is worse: thinking CC was a viable PH option, or yielding to sentiment and trying to give him a nice send-off. It was an elimination game, for crying out loud.

Pathetic offense. 2.25 runs per game in the post season. Terrible and anemic throughout september. Bums. We were once supposedly a potent offensive team to be feared. What a joke.

Also, the fact that a forum member can propose that we might be rebuilding for a few years and get responses telling him to "turn in his fancard" is flat-out hateful, elitist, and unacceptable. Some people on this board need to check themselves. Our hitting sucks, our defense sucks, young guys didn't step up, we're losing our top two pitchers, and our coaching situation is a mess ... that very well could lead to rebuilding. Obviously, we hope it can be avoided with a return trip to the post-season next year, but there will be 15 other NL teams making moves this off-season to improve themselves as well.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

They were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.
that made me laugh out loud, that is all.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Community Moderator

I'm kind of upset at how this team might be remembered.

I want them to go down as a 90-win team that snapped the playoff drought despite a number of flaws.

Instead, I'm hearing way to much about how the offense, pitching, bullpen, etc. all need a huge makeover. They won 90 games! You don't do that by accident. Whenever I hear that, it makes me even more proud of how these guys came through under adversity and made it to the playoffs. I would return the entire team as is and be happy.

I think Gamel and Escobar solve the infield problem, either Kapler returns or you go after another outfielder, resign Sheets to a 1-year deal, pick up Cameron's option, and trade for another starting pitcher and some bullpen help.

If we supposedly underperformed this year, doesn't that mean we should be really good next year?

Sveum inexcusably pitches Suppan. Sveum is as block-headed as Yost, then! Unbelievable stuff from the managers this season! Why can they NOT SEE that Suppan is a huge stinker. He has nothing ... he's a batting-practice hitter's delight! He has no out-pitch, no velocity, no changeup (his pitches are all slow), very little command (way too many balls down the middle), and has been a below average major league starter for some time. His WHIP, ERA, K's all are well below league average. Can you imagine this guy's ERA in the AL?

And we have a young stud like Yo available today! Good grief!

Don't pitch a guy because he's a nice guy. Don't pitch a guy because he has a big contract. Don't pitch a guy unless he has as much or more talent than the next guy, especially in do-or-die games like this.

I blame Sveum. Yost was Toast. One is numb and the other is dumb.

I'm kind of upset at how this team might be remembered. I want them to go down as a 90-win team that snapped the playoff drought despite a number of flaws. Instead, I'm hearing way to much about how the offense, pitching, bullpen, etc. all need a huge makeover....
Hi there. Looks like you're lost. This is the Vent Thread. This is a thread where people come to vent their frustrations about the Brewers. It's clearly marked, so when the Brewers (a team with many warts who will soon lose their 2 best pitchers) fail to show up for a playoff series, you probably shouldn't be surprised to find venting. There are many happy thoughts at other locations in the Major League forum, but I'm not sure why anybody would come to this thread to find those. I'm sure in all the confusion, your 'forced positivity' was posted here in error.

Here, try this thread. Have a great day!

The stuff obsessedwithbrewcrew is talking about is all over the other threads. There are several threads about how we need to make over either the offense or defense on a 90 win team. In many cases people are talking about huge overhauls. I guess only some people are allowed to vent.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The stuff he is talking about is all over the other threads. I guess only some people are allowed to vent.
Then address it in those threads. I was under the impression that the vent thread was for venting about baseball related stuff, not venting about what other people on the site think and/or post about. It was basically a post trying to disprove what people are venting about and tell them they are wrong, which has been discouraged numerous times.

Sveum absolutely has to go. Between his "small ball" comments and his insistence on starting Suppan when Gallardo was available he has shown that he is just as incompetent as yost. Please try to get a real manager like Davey Johnson or Bobby Valentine who know how to handle pitching staffs and dont want to bunt every runner over. Please dont let Melvin hire one of his cronies like Jerry Narron or any other losers from the Texas Rangers organization. Can we please hire a competent manager instead of the likes of Yost and Sveum.

Sveum starting Jeff Suppan in an elimination game, completly blows any poor decision Ned Yost made, right out of the water.

I agree 100% -- I can forgive any manager for making a dumb move in a game with little time to think it through -- but a starting pitcher? -- You have about 24 hours to lay that egg. Bringing in Yo to relieve Soup, made the move look even dumber. It is almost like Sveum thought that Soup could go 8 innings.

Bye Dale.

Archived