Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 6)

DougJones43
What has he done to keep his job? Do you think the team would all be hitting over .280 if they only just did everything he says?

I'm not saying that the problem resides with him, far from it, but his job performance can be measured in few ways, and unfortunately for Jim, those ways aren't reflecting well for him right now.

Just to repeat my point, other then pitching in the cage, possibly giving advice I have just as much influence on batters as any batting coach does.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's becoming comical…..just downright hilarious how pathetic this team is. The quotes about how "We're a different team this year….we learned from last year"……a big LOL to that.

This team sucks and this is the prime reason we shouldn't have traded for Sabathia. Way to many holes and losers to actually WIN a playoff series. We just sold our souls for a playoff push and possible playoff berth that will result in a quick exit if they get there.

This team is just unwatchable and is becoming even hard to cheer for.

Possibly giving advice? That's a huge chunk of his job. Besides, Skaalen is in charge of helping to scout the opposing pitchers (something that has seemed to be a weakness of this team) as well. I agree that a hitting coach's impact tends to be overstated, but as SF points out, there are no signs based on results this season that Jim has made an overall positive contribution.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Possibly giving advice? That's a huge chunk of his job. Besides, Skaalen is in charge of helping to scout the opposing pitchers (something that has seemed to be a weakness of this team) as well. I agree that a hitting coach's impact tends to be overstated, but as SF points out, there are no signs based on results this season that Jim has made an overall positive contribution.
Thats pretty much my point, there is no statistical data that can show that he is making a difference either way. You can't point at the stats because who is to say they wouldnt have batted that way with him spending 20 hours a day trying to improve or if he did absolutly nothing. Now if for example he had a system that required all hitters to take the first two pitches(with this team that might not be a idea) then that would be something that you could point to and say that is or isnt working.

Scouting the opposing pitchers is pretty much done by interns who input the information and for some reason I remember seeing Sedar being in charge of that(no idea why. It was on one of those behind the scenes shows).

It's becoming comical…..just downright hilarious how pathetic this team is. The quotes about how "We're a different team this year….we learned from last year"……a big LOL to that.

This team sucks and this is the prime reason we shouldn't have traded for Sabathia. Way to many holes and losers to actually WIN a playoff series. We just sold our souls for a playoff push and possible playoff berth that will result in a quick exit if they get there.

This team is just unwatchable and is becoming even hard to cheer for.

At this point all the Brewers want it is the playoffs. and CC and Sheets in a playoff series gives us a chance no matter who inept our offense is. We didn't sell our souls either, we still have plenty of talent on the roster afte CC departs

At this point all the Brewers want it is the playoffs. and CC and Sheets in a playoff series gives us a chance no matter who inept our offense is. We didn't sell our souls either, we still have plenty of talent on the roster afte CC departs
I agree. LaPorta was the heart and soul of the Brewers? Puhlease. The season was a ton of fun, no matter the outcome. CC Sabathia generated a lot of excitement and could you imagine if this team had 13 starts at this point out of somebody named McClung/Bush instead. 9 wins could be 3 wins and we'd be looking up rather than sitting on top. We suddenly lose 7 of 10 and we aren't a playoff team anymore? Can't win a playoff series? This is typical "the sky is falling" and why I can't understand the mentality of looking at 10 games instead of 140.

Im surprised no one else touched on this but why exactly did yost replace an injured kapler with Gwynn? Seriously Gwynn makes Counsell look like Pujols. The guy cant hit a ball out of the infield and he almost cost us a chance to win the game with the double play he hit into. Gwynn shouldnt ever be on this roster even in September with the rosters expanded and yost shouldnt be allowed to manage this team when he plays a guy like Gwynn ever.

Im surprised no one else touched on this but why exactly did yost replace an injured kapler with Gwynn? Seriously Gwynn makes Counsell look like Pujols. The guy cant hit a ball out of the infield and he almost cost us a chance to win the game with the double play he hit into. Gwynn shouldnt ever be on this roster even in September with the rosters expanded and yost shouldnt be allowed to manage this team when he plays a guy like Gwynn ever.
The idea there was probably that Gwynn could beat out a double-play ball. It didn't work out, and it wouldn't have been my choice, but there's logic there.

I said this in the game thread but it looked like Hart stepped on 1st base funny in one of his ABs last night and then he just sort of stood there looking uncomfortable until Cameron brought him his glove to take the field. It wouldn't surprise me if he tweaked his ankle or something and wasn't available except in an emergency today. I don't really have an issue with Gwynn over the other OFs if Hart wasn't going to play.

Dear Mr. Yost,

While I respect your knowledge of baseball far surpasses my own, I ask, you please remember, that you have Tony Gwynn, Jr on your roster, not Tony Gwynn, Sr.

Also, Craig Counsell and Jason Kendall can be pinch hit for, and you have better hitters on the bench then they are.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Hart has kind of sucked since the all star break. Try taking a pitch once in a while you rube!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

You guys ain't seen nothin' yet. The Brewers save their most embarrasing performances this time of year for the big national games on FOX.

I smell an Atlanta '07 repeat on Saturday. With Dave Bush flipping frisbees in that bandbox, topped off with a continuing batting slump and the ever-present fundamental instability, it's almost a lock, especially if Hamels puts the hammer down on Friday.

Archived