Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 6)

DougJones43
  • Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This team is very fundamentally flawed and lacks discipline. That is my biggest complaint. Adding a guy that is also fundamentally flawed and aging such as Cameron was not the way to go.

I would love to see a guy like Gardenhire as coach. This team will never amount to much until they learn to not swing at bad pitches, catch, and throw. The Brewer pitching staff for the most part has been acceptable this year. It doesn't help having an offense with a bunch of free swingers and no LH or switch hitters in the lineup.

Where was this patient, small-ball playing team all season? They came out with a patient, relaxed approach, and it paid off. Granted, they could have scored a few more runs by not leaving the bases loaded 2 consecutive innings, but they looked great! Why couldn't they have changed up their outlook in September and that could have helped. Oh well.

Bill Hall batting 2nd again?!!!! OMG!!!

(Had to put this both here and the in-game thread for the shear insanity of it)

He probably is the best person for the job against lefties assuming you want to keep Fielder/Braun/Hardy together at the core of the order.

.306/.371/.522/.893 2008

.278/.355/.493/.847 career

Now if he was hitting him 2nd against righties I'd freak out.

I dont care how much money Suppan is making he needs to go. Call it a writeoff or whatever but the bottom line is the guy throws batting practice. How we did not start Gallardo on 3 days rest instead of Suppan is beyond me. Mark A is a complete moron for recruiting this stiff and paying him big money. He is an absolute albatross to this teams payroll and I dont want himanywhere near this team after he blows any chance we had of winning this series. So gallardo can pitch in relief on 3 days rest but he couldnt start this game? Seriously its time for new decisionmakers. Anyone that didnt see Suppan getting rocked is just blind to the facts that he is awful.

If we can't dump him in a trade or are unwilling to eat his salary then use him as the long man out of the bullpen. I don't care if he's the highest paid mop up guy in the history of the game, he simply should not be anywhere near the starting rotation.

Sveum starting Jeff Suppan in an elimination game, completly blows any poor decision Ned Yost made, right out of the water.
I had just assumed Gallardo was unavailable. As soon as I saw Yovani warming in the bullpen, I lost my mind. Starting Suppan over Gallardo is the definition of indefensible.

Bring me Sveum's head on a platter. There will never be a managerial move that makes my blood boil more than his moronic, mind-boggling 'decision' to start Jeff 'Toast' Suppan today.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Sveum starting Jeff Suppan in an elimination game, completly blows any poor decision Ned Yost made, right out of the water.

Yost would have done the same thing. Yost wasn't even willing to start CC on 3 days rest, much less Gallardo, much less take the ball out of the hands of the gritty Suppan. Sveum is Yost Light.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Suppan has done what his career numbers would suggest, which is be consistently mediocre for 30 starts a year. Hammonds wasn't even on the field for half the time, and when he was, he was awful.

That being said, Suppan starting a game of this magnitude sucks the big one.

Yeah I don't really blame Suppan, he obviously has some issues right now as seen by the terrible september. I blame Sveum for starting him in the first place. If Suppan finishes out September pitching the way he did the rest of the year and comes out and lays an egg then oh well, not much Sveum could do. But Suppan has been pitching like crap for a month+ now and there was no real reason to expect him to be different today.

I had just assumed Gallardo was unavailable. As soon as I saw Yovani warming in the bullpen, I lost my mind. Starting Suppan over Gallardo is the definition of indefensible.
I agree. That was the big one, but add in the IBB to Howard and having CC pinch-hit in that situation and this was certainly not Sveum's finest hour.

I was on-board with him before today, but these were huge, disastrous shows of bad judgment.

Edit: Add in bringing in Mota when Parra was dealing.

I was on-board with him before today, but these were huge, disastrous shows of bad judgment.

Edit: Add in bringing in Mota when Parra was dealing.

Yeah that is how I feel. I appreciate how he handled the pen for the most part and he did some good things. But we need to go another direction. New Manager in 09's for sure.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Sad day. This begins 3-4 years of rebuilding with guys like Sheets and Sabathia gone and likely some other starters traded away before they make too much.

I figure we'll make another 1-2 year run in about 5 years just before Braun gets his "real" payday with another team when the current deal expires. Gotta look at things realistically, folks.

Archived