Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 6)

DougJones43

When the struggles to score runs, you need to bunt.

I don't think it's a good idea to call on players like Braun, Fielder, Hart, Hall, etc. to bunt when they've done absolutely no bunting all year. Why waste outs? It's hard for most guys to bunt for a base hit.

This most recent slump has been a result of the ENTIRE team sucking. Bunting wouldn't have changed much over the past few series.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's a good idea to call on players like Braun, Fielder, Hart, Hall, etc. to bunt when they've done absolutely no bunting all year. Why waste outs? It's hard for most guys to bunt for a base hit.

This most recent slump has been a result of the ENTIRE team sucking. Bunting wouldn't have changed much over the past few series.

I'm not advocating that the meat of the order beat to get on base. That's just silly. When you get runners in scoring positions, you have a better chance of scoring especially when a fly ball gets a run in since you would need a hit from 2nd to get a run home. When you're not hitting, why not give yourself a better shot.

Of course, if you are hitting the cover off the ball, there's not much need to bunt.

So are we seriously going to trot out Jeff Suppan on Saturday if the playoffs hang in the balance? God I hope not. Somebody...ANYBODY...besides Suppan. Otherwise it's likely to be 8-0 before I find my seat.
But games like this are why he was signed!

When a team is struggling to score runs, that means they're not getting many hits most likely. Giving up an out takes away the total chances a team has of getting a hit.

Please God find a way to get Suppan out of the rotation. Can't Sheets have a miracle recovery and pitch on Friday with Bush on Saturday?

O and please keep the rain away from the Cubs/Mets game tommorrow. You can wash out the entire Marlins series if you want, but let them play tommorrow

My vent is? Why is it a night game tommorrow? On one hand the night game allows me to watch the game but the afternoon game pretty much wipes out half my work day.

Tommorrow is going to be an excruciatingly long day.

The Brewers have me to excited, I can't sleep

There is absolutely no excuse for Hall bunting after two consecutive where the pitcher was nowhere near the plate. Sveum is just giving up outs every time we have a baserunner and that is ridiculous. I dont care if we win the world series I still dont want Sveum back next year; he is actually more strategically challenged than Ned.

I dunno, Hall has an OPS of .560 against righties this year. I guess I can't get bent out of shape for him bunting. He also had almost bunted for a hit the last time he was up which might have played into the decision.

Letting him hit away there is clearly the wrong choice, pinch hitting or bunting were the two options.

The problem I have with the Brewers bunting is that they are a bad team with runners in scoring position. They are not good situational hitters, so when you bunt a guy over with the way the Brewers have been hitting the odds seem like the next guy will K or pop out on the infield. I am too lazy to check the stats but I dont feel like we have a lot of sac flies. I know we are bad with bases loaded and with RISP in general. That said in a close game when you need one run to either tie or win I am okay with bunting.

If "it" happens on Sunday, if "it" happens at all, will "it" be overshadowed by the Packer game?

I say yes.

No way. Not even close. Even a near miss is a bigger story. The Packers are number one no doubt in coverage... but come on.

The Crew is under the microscope for better or worse this weekend. Go Brewers.

True. I guess I wasn't being specific enough -- I meant as far as local telecasts, newspapers, radio, etc.

But WTMJ will carry the Packer game over a potential Brewers clincher on Sunday. And next Sunday, when the Brewers are potentially playing Game 4 of the NLDS, WTMJ will carry the Packer game over the Brewer game. I love the Packers, but this should be the Brewers time in the sun.

I just found out tomorrow on Fox I get the Nats/Phillies Game... I nearly punched my computer screen when I saw that.
I'm in Atlanta and my listings currently say Yankees/Red Sox OR Cubs/Brewers. It had better be Brewers. I want the clincher on my DVR, if it happens. I think I'll have to get my parents to record it, just in case, since they're in Milwaukee.

True. I guess I wasn't being specific enough -- I meant as far as local telecasts, newspapers, radio, etc.

But WTMJ will carry the Packer game over a potential Brewers clincher on Sunday. And next Sunday, when the Brewers are potentially playing Game 4 of the NLDS, WTMJ will carry the Packer game over the Brewer game. I love the Packers, but this should be the Brewers time in the sun.

On WTMJ Friday afternoon, Jonathon Greene said the programming director was monitoring the playoff situation and the Brewers game would be on WTMJ if it meant something in the playoff race - whether that actually happens or not I'm not sure. I'm hoping the game means nothing - Go Brewers and Go Fish!

One flyball is all we needed for a tie and Hardy failed. Hart then failed to get a hit that would've at least tied it. He's been brutal. A .300 OBP? Are you kidding me?

And as I type this Torres gives up a two run homer to Fukudome. Thanks Torres. You've sucked lately too.

I have a bad feeling about tomorrow after what happened today. The Mets won, the Brewers lost, the way the Badgers lost after being up 19-0. I'm being overly negative but I have a feeling the only way for the weekend to end is a Mets win, Brewers, loss, and Packers loss. Someone change my mind quick.

Archived