Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 6)

DougJones43
Unless you are a pitcher, I hate the sac bunt.

That is all.

Why? It seemed to work more often than not last night.

Just because it worked didn't make it the right call. The Brewers were incredibly lucky that Kendall got a two out hit; the odds of that were quite low. Bunting with Hart to bring up Counsell/Hall and Kendall was foolish.

Not to mention, bunting with Durham in the first inning was embarrassing.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The brat I was served at MP last night was the skinniest brat I have ever had - about the circumference of an Oscar Mayer wiener. It was tasty, but not even slightly plump. C'mon, for $4.25?

(I know, you were all thinking, ooh, hawing posted in the vent thread. Now you can vent about how disappointing my vent post was.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Not a fan of the Sac Bunt either.

Unless it's the bottom of the 9th, you only need one run to win, and you have a runner on second with no outs.

Unfortunately, Dale does not feel the same way...If anyone watched his presser last night (which was, by the way, considerably less awkward and tense than Ned's were), you would've heard Dale praising the sac bunt and saying that they were going to do it often.

This is why I was so annoyed with Yost getting fired. He was an overall bad manager but at least he did two things right that other managers get wrong all the time: He rarely intentionally walked someone and he rarely called for the sacrifice. Svuem is just like Yost except I haven't seen him do ANYTHING beter than the average manager. He'll just do what everyone else does because that's how he was taught to. I could show him a book of hisorical data showing the general futility of the sac bunt and it wouldn't matter. He knows what he knows.

This is why I was so annoyed with Yost getting fired. He was an overall bad manager but at least he did two things right that other managers get wrong all the time: He rarely intentionally walked someone and he rarely called for the sacrifice.
Funny. I was saying the same thing yesterday. Yost's two redeeming qualities.

Actaully I think it means Dale spends too much time reading badly informed sports opinions. First it was how Durham every day was the answer! Now its the Brewers have to bunt more! I swear its like listening to Joe Mulletski from West Allis calling sports radio.

I can handle a sac bunt late in close game. However, am I wrong, or did Durham attempt to sac bunt last night in the 1st inning? That really bothers me.

Yes. In fact, I believe he popped out TWICE on sac bunt attempts last night. So in that sense, I do hate sac bunts as well.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Is that 12 or 13 sac bunt attempts tonight? I'm losing count. But let's all act surprised that Hall failed at it. The pitcher has now walked 3 guys in the inning, but the Brewers only get two outs an inning to score runs these days., so.... owell.

Bring back Yost?

Actaully I think it means Dale spends too much time reading badly informed sports opinions. First it was how Durham every day was the answer! Now its the Brewers have to bunt more! I swear its like listening to Joe Mulletski from West Allis calling sports radio.

I thought Joe Mulletski was calling from Cudahy?

Community Moderator

I agree. Who do we think we are, the Twins?

I have no problem with sac bunts in the 9th inning in a tie game. I also have no problem with sac bunts with pitchers, Counsell, or Kendall. Or any hitter who is in a slump.

But not Bill Hall in that situation. Any chance we can talk Bobby Valentine into coming back to the US?

Dale Svuem= poor man's Ned Yost.

I don't think any of the great managers could do much - not when the guys ahead of the Crew keep winning.

Sveum's gonna get a bum rap. There's nothing to indicate he is bad, per se, he is trying to shake things up, and after a rough patch, the Crew has been turning it around some.

I don't have a problem with Sveum and the team does seem much more alive since he took over. I don't mind a losing streak because every team goes through them but the Brewers just felt listeless during that losing streak in early September. Like they had given up for some reason.

I'm not convinced in any way shape or form that Sveum should manage next year though.

First it was we never bunt and people wanted Yost's head, and now we appearently bunt too much?

Even in the vent thread, that's absurd.

I don't think anybody here wanted Yost to bunt more.

When the struggles to score runs, you need to bunt. We had 2 lousy hits tonight and still scored 4 runs. I was under the impression that Yost didn't bunt enough, but I could be wrong.

Every team looks like they've given up when they are in a slump. They look confident and energized when they win. I'd love to see what a confident team in a slump looks like, exactly .

I just don't see it. What are the clues that I'm missing?

There is most certainly a difference though I doubt I'll convince you. There are times where you just lose a bunch of games because no hits fall, you constantly seem to lose by 1 run etc. Then there are periods where the team seems to just not be alive. The first couple games against the Mets we lost were the former, it just seemed like we couldn't get the big hit. Then we went into just sort of a funk where the team seemed checked out for a week and just had no life to it.

Archived