Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 6)

DougJones43
  • Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adam, that was perfect (laughing, I hate putting lol). Even though Kendall just got on base I still hate how Sveum continues the Kendall infatuation that Yost had. Why, why, why?!?

Oh, also, I'd like to say that having the team strikeout leader (even after missing the first month) lead off is almost as dumb as putting Sheets in as a pinch hitter

I said I was done going to games, but I'm thinking about getting a ticket behind the Brewers dugout for Tuesday just to boo these bums. And if they want to cry about it, fine. It's kind of sad that they seem to get more upset about the fans booing than they do collapsing 2 seasons in a row.

Adam, that was perfect (laughing, I hate putting lol). Even though Kendall just got on base I still hate how Sveum continues the Kendall infatuation that Yost had. Why, why, why?!?

Oh, also, I'd like to say that having the team strikeout leader (even after missing the first month) lead off is almost as dumb as putting Sheets in as a pinch hitter

At that point in the game who would you hit for Kendall? You needed OBP. Some had to hit for the pitcher. Someone had to hit for Hall. Kapler and Durham are hurt. Your choices were Rivera, Dillon, or one of the rooks.

As for Cameron's Ks, if he's in the lineup leadoff is where they are LEAST damaging because fewer runners are on base. Unfortunately today Cameron had lots of runners on base.

Because he seems to work better with the pitchers, perhaps?

I think you have to give Kendall a bit of credit for the relative success Bush, McClung, and Parra had. Parra probably got too tired from pitching so many innings this year. Bush and McClung looked like serviceable end-of-the-rotation pitchers, which the Crew will need if Sheets and Sabathia walk.

Kendall's won me over. The problem, to be blunt, was third base being a black hole offensively. Hall, Counsell, and company didn't cut it there and the inconsistency of the big bats. Fielder and Weeks were in a slump for a fair part of this year, and Braun had his struggles, too. Cameron did pretty good when he was on the field, Hart was solid, and JJ put together another good year at short.

It's not that I hate Kendall. It's that he's deemed so good to have played the second most games of any catcher in the whole league... and to the question of who I'd rather have in as a pinch hitter my answer is RIVERA by a mile.
Bigger worries are third base and a leadoff hitter.

Maybe it's time to move Braun back to third, and to find a leadoff hitter from the outfield. I'm even willing to dangle Weeks out as trade bait, and plug Escobar in at second.

Kendall's won me over. The problem, to be blunt, was third base being a black hole offensively. Hall, Counsell, and company didn't cut it there and the inconsistency of the big bats. Fielder and Weeks were in a slump for a fair part of this year, and Braun had his struggles, too. Cameron did pretty good when he was on the field, Hart was solid, and JJ put together another good year at short.
Don't care for Hall either, but when you look at the Phillies and the Mets, Pedro Feliz is almost as bad as Hall. Feliz is 33, and right now is at a career high for OBP at .300. Feliz is likely a better fielder than Hall. Geoff Jenkins this year was probably worse than Hall. The Mets have given about 250 atbats to Endy Chavez, who is not a good player. So explaining it by the worst player doesn't solve that problem.

Mainly the OBP of the Brewers needs to go up. Weeks needs to raise his average a bit, and Hart and Braun need to take some walks.

The biggest problems with this team are pretty easily OBP and fielding and then the secondary issues are lack of left handed hitters and depth in the bullpen. By position the issues are defense at 1B, offense at 3B and offense off the bench in general. (I think Weeks is an average defensive 2B this year so shoot me~).

For next year we have a big black hole in the rotation as well. Gallardo and Parra could be front line starters and Bush and Suppan are fine for back of the rotation but there is certainly a hole somewhere between the #1 and #3 SP next year.

My vent is that I just don't know how to feel right now. A few weeks ago I expected to be content with a wild card birth at this point. A few days ago I was resigned to another year of futility. Now, only a game and a half back of the notoriously choking Mets, I'm realistic but somewhat hopeful. Why can't we just get some resolution!
You may run like Mays...

My vent is that I just don't know how to feel right now. A few weeks ago I expected to be content with a wild card birth at this point. A few days ago I was resigned to another year of futility. Now, only a game and a half back of the notoriously choking Mets, I'm realistic but somewhat hopeful. Why can't we just get some resolution!
I keep wondering how I'm going to feel if the Brewers completely and utterly backdoor their way into the WC because the Mets' implosion turns out to be one game worse. I guess elation over the fact of a postseason berth will prevail over misgivings about the end of the journey there.

It shouldn't surprise me but the top stories on baseball tonight were Boston/Rays and then the Yankees for some reason. The most exciting game of the night in arguably the closest race and you don't lead off with it? Even though one of the teams is the Mets?

With apologies to Night Ranger. . .

"Mota's in.

It's smacked to left in flight.

Ball's flying out of sight.

He lost the lead tonight."

Kudos to Prince, however (too lazy to post again in silver lining). I called him out a few weeks ago, but he's turned it around and is making me eat crow, which in this case is delicious.

Archived