Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 6)

DougJones43
Bring Back the Stein wrote:

And Selig had the chutzpah to suggest MINNESOTA be contracted?

Attendance. Minnesota may have better teams, but their attendance sucks.

Me suspects when the Twins have their shiny new ballpark that attendance will improve. The weather sucks in the great North of our fair land. When summer comes around no one in their right mind wants to go into the Metrodome to watch baseball.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Me suspects when the Twins have their shiny new ballpark that attendance will improve. The weather sucks in the great North of our fair land. When summer comes around no one in their right mind wants to go into the Metrodome to watch baseball.
They don't show up for football games either (that's an easy Packers ticket to get) and had an NHL team boot. I love the Twin Cities, but their fan support for professional sports is mediocre. The city has other interests.

Jeff Suppan is garbage. Plain and simple. And we are stuck with him for 2 more years. He has had two chances to pitch in big games late in September down the stretch here and he has gotten lit up each time. Suppan is the new Jeffrey Hammonds without the injuries.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Looking at the standings, and seeing that the Tampa Bay Rays haven't fallen apart just pisses me off. What did they have that we don't have? Their fanbase isn't nearly as supportive as Milwaukee. They didn't trade for a pitcher who was unhittable for an entire half-season. And they have to compete with the best division in baseball. While they're hanging in there like heavyweights with the Bo Sox, the Brewers are getting trashed by teams like the Reds and Padres. It makes me sick.

Every stinking year, there's always teams like this. The Diamondbacks. The Rockies. Now the Rays? The Rays??? Young, surprise teams that MAKE it happen. Why can't it ever be the Brewers' time? I'm just so disappointed that I can't even describe it anymore. I've been trying to tell myself that I saw it coming, and that it shouldn't bother me this much. But it does. I really don't think I have it in me to go through this again after this year. Some teams just don't have fate on their side, and never will it seems...

Not only is Counsell in the lineup today but he has been moved up to hit second. Never thought I would say this but Dale is even more clueless than Ned. This nightmare cant end soon enough for me.
What is he supposed to do against a tough RHP and no Durham? I'm no fan of Counsell, but at least he has been working the count and drawing walks. Its pretty obvious to me that Dale is trying to put some veteran guys at the top to try to get some men on for Braun (if he ever gets going) and Prince. Typically I would agree with you, but under the circumstances I really don't see what other options he has. He's in a pretty tough spot with the injuries and all

I just wanted to stop by and ask the Suppan apologists if his performance the last two starts is still in line with his "career norms"? If that is not the case, did we still get what we paid for?

Oh by the way,

Parra=2008 = Victor Santos 2004

I had a bad feeling that his first half was smoke and mirrors...though some may argue he has hit the wall with innings pitched, my feeling is that the league has figured him out after seeing him once.

Every stinking year, there's always teams like this. The Diamondbacks. The Rockies. Now the Rays? The Rays??? Young, surprise teams that MAKE it happen. Why can't it ever be the Brewers' time?
I think we bought into the idea that the Brewers were going to be one of these young, dynamic, low-payroll teams. And there is some degree of truth to that -- witness Braun, Fielder, etc. But when I look at the roster, I'm stunned at the number (and prominence) of well-traveled guys who are clearly on the downward slope of their careers: Gagne, Counsell, Mota, Torres, Kendall, Durham, Suppan, Cameron. I'm not saying these guys can't or don't contribute, or that you can't have any of them on the roster. But it seems as though the balance of the team is a little out of whack, somehow?

I think we bought into the idea that the Brewers were going to be one of these young, dynamic, low-payroll teams. And there is some degree of truth to that -- witness Braun, Fielder, etc. But when I look at the roster, I'm stunned at the number (and prominence) of well-traveled guys who are clearly on the downward slope of their careers: Gagne, Counsell, Mota, Torres, Kendall, Durham, Suppan, Cameron. I'm not saying these guys can't or don't contribute, or that you can't have any of them on the roster. But it seems as though the balance of the team is a little out of whack, somehow?
Yeah, but the real nucleus of the team was supposed to be Braun, Fielder, Hardy, Hart, Hall, Weeks, Sheets and Gallardo. These guys were all reaching the age/experience level where true breakout seasons could have happened. It really didn't for any of them, except maybe Sheets. Gallardo got hurt, and none of the positional players have an OPS over .900. Three of those players sport an OPS under .800, and one of them (Hall) is actually under .700 for the season. This was supposed to be a dynamic young team. In short, "the kids" have really failed to live up to potential or expectations, and have failed to deliver the production necessary for the Brewers to be a top tier baseball team.

Hart has had a dreadful second-half. Fielder is underperforming. Braun was doing well up until a month ago. Hardy has pretty good numbers overall, but most of his success has come in short, white-hot spurts. Weeks has been a pretty bad disappointment. Hall has been embarrassingly bad. It's pretty sad -- this group looked like they had the potential to do something special.

The diamondbacks and rockies just had lucky years last year, I don't think either of those teams were better than the Brewers of this season and neither will likely be above .500 this year.

Most of our young players won't hit their prime for a couple years yet so thinking that they have underperformed is jumping the gun at this point.

The diamondbacks and rockies just had lucky years last year, I don't think either of those teams were better than the Brewers of this season and neither will likely be above .500 this year.

Most of our young players won't hit their prime for a couple years yet so thinking that they have underperformed is jumping the gun at this point.

I'm sick of hearing that other teams are just lucky. If it's luck or whatever, it always seems to evade the Brewers, and I'm tired of it. It sucks.

[u]PLAYER[/u] [u]AGE[/u] [u]EXP[/u] Hall 28 5 yr Weeks 26 4 yr Hardy 26 4 yr Hart 26 3 yr Fielder 24 3 yr Braun 24 2 yr 

While it's true that most of these guys are not quite at their "prime" yet, they're not exactly that young and/or inexperienced. And (with the exception of Hardy) they are ALL performing well below their projected numbers for 2008. Put a positive spin on it if you want, but I think it's pretty disappointing.

You'll notice it evaded the Diamondbacks and Rockies this year as well. Every year there are a couple teams that just win way more games than they should have or they sneak in the playoffs because their division is week etc.

I don't group the Rays into that bunch because they are a legit team in my opinion. They have way more young talent than we do.

As for the Brewer players. Hardy and Weeks are 4 years but each of them lost a full season to injuries so they are more like 3 years. Hall was never a big shot prospect so I don't really include him. Fielder and Braun both put up OPS over .850 this year at age 24 and both had shots at .900+, that is hard to argue with. Hart was sitting over an .800 OPS before this month started and his horrible slump.

1511 PA's into his career Hart has an .819 OPS and you can find comperables on his list like Edmonds, Holliday, Justice, Salmon

1885 PA's into his career Weeks has an .755 OPS and you can find Bobby Grich on his comperable list which would make me happy.

1801 PA's into his career Hardy has an.775 OPs and his most similar player by age is Craig Biggio.

2050 PA's into his career Fielder has an .902 OPS and you can find similar batters on his list like Gehrig, McCovey, Greenberg, Mays, Murray

1119 PA's into his career Braun has a .938 OPS and his stats are so good he broke the similar batter charts!

There are still plenty of reasons to be optimistic about that bunch. Throw in Gallardo and Parra who look like the real deal in SP, Villanueva who is carving out a nice bullpen role and the fact we still have a good bit of upcoming talent and I don't think the team is tanking as much as people seem to think it is. The window isn't closing, it is still opening at this point.

We really need to sign or trade for some OBP this season and bring in a solid starter though. You can only do so much with home grown talent and our talent has some pretty big built in flaws in defense and OBP.

You'll notice it evaded the Diamondbacks and Rockies this year as well. Every year there are a couple teams that just win way more games than they should have or they sneak in the playoffs because their division is week etc.
Yeah. The Brewers seem to just get unlucky EVERY year. I'd happily take just one year of fortune.

As far as the prospects go, I'm not saying the outlook is bleak. I'm just saying that most of them regressed this year, and have not performed up to their projections. It's frustrating when basically all of your hitters perform below expected for a season.

If this isn't the eighth-last game that I have to see Craig Counsell in a Brewers uniform, I quit. I get it -- the guy is good at defense, but I'm fed up with his squirrelly looking stance and anemic offense.
Agreed. I've been saying that ever since he got back into a Brewers uniform

Archived