Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 6)

DougJones43
I'm about ready for a re-eduaction camp and come out a hockey fan.

Class begins tomorrow. Or whenever you want, I don't care. Just make sure I'm the teacher so I don't have to watch the Brewers either. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I had to wait til I cooled off to post, I would have used language that probably would have earned me strikes 1, 2, and 3.

Sveum.........more of the same. Counsell and Kendall batting back to back, in late innings of a close game when we need a run produced.

Offense completely incapable of bringing guys home with one or none out. 6 runs should win the game, but there were multiple great opportunities to put this game away. Fail.

For some reason we hired a 3B coach for the stretch run, let alone the fact the guy has never coached 3B before, ever. And what did he do today, he broke the cardinal rule, sent a guy, and made the first out of the inning at home plate. 2nd and 3rd, with nobody out, turns into nobody on and 2 out in the blink of a frickin' eye, without scoring either of them.

Inexcusable.

I know that baseball is a stat driven game, and give me a guy with a .900 OPS who has sloppy fundamentals over a scrappy .700 OPS battler who "knows how to play the game" 100 times out of 100.

But this team really showed today a lack in doing the "little things" that win these close games. I live and die by the stats as much as anybody, but in the context of an individual game, the outs on the basepaths, the failure to bring RISP home with nobody out, it's just maddening.

The worst thing is I already know getting jacked up for NEXT year is going to be hard, because despite what my rational mind knows (this year has nothing to do with next year), if things don't chane in some fundamental way, I'll expect a collapse if we're in it at the end.

Roco,

I have felt that way since the Padres series. I am so disappointed in the fact this team has leadership that does not give these guidance to win all-around. Being in management myself, if leadership can't provide you the things you need to succeed and surround you with those individuals, it is going to be a failure.

I was so disappointed the Brewers did not do more to make sure we had legitimate LH bats in the lineup besides Prince. It took Melvin a couple of weeks longer than it should have especially with inter-league play to get Branyan up.

I am not sure what was rumored in the offseason and what was true with St.L, the Dodgers, and a couple other teams but the failure to get Rolen was a bad one because he has been with a winning team, plays good defense, and would be a positive influence on the younger players. I also was extremely disappointed in the fact we added another boom or bust bat in Cameron with an already overloaded RH lineup. When you add players with low OBP to a team that struggled at times to score runs and was no hit, a player like Cameron is not going to help matters. Then throw in the fact Rickie Weeks should have never been batting leadoff and Melvin couldn't get us a better option, I knew problems would arise.

The othe problem is when you are a smaller to mid market team, dollars need to be spent wisely. Gagne was bound to be a trainwreck with everything that happened at the end of last year including a drop in his velocity and not a lot of movement on his pitches. Riske has been brutal at times and I won't even get into Turnbow who NEVER should have made the squad.

I also do not get the gist of not playing/pitching guys like Dillard or Defelice more over what was going on with Riske and Gagne.

The hardest pill for me to swallow is the fact, the Brewers gave up a lot for CC and we may not have one playoff series to show for it. And if we don't the fault for those other glaring weaknesses fall on Melvin plain and simple.

I just played guitar (that I am trying to learn how to play) for a solid two hours and I got to thinking...had I spent even half the time I wasted on the Brewers this Spring/Summer/Fall learning to play, do you have any idea how good I would be by now?

As I have said before, I don't hate the Brewers, I hate myself.

There is a small group of RP that basically never blow a 3 run lead, the other 80% of closers suffer one of these nasty losses 1 to 2 times a year.

Sucks that we blew this game but Torres has hardly been a problem this year and anyone who is blaming Melvin or Torres or anyone else for the couple hiccups this season is just frustrated and just reaching for someone to blame. That is even more true considering we should have had 3 outs before anyone ever got on base, you want to blame someone for today blame the 3rd base coach, Hardy, Hart and Braun. They have as much or more blame than Torres does.

This isn't statistically relevant, important, scientific. It's not intended to prove a point. I do realize the save statistic is worthless and should cease to exist. Just a rant:

Instances when the Brewers have blown another team's save opportunity in 9th inning and WON:

May 1: @ Cubs

May 9: Cardinals

July 24: @ Cardinals

Instances when the Brewers have blown a save opportunity in 9th inning and LOST:

April 20: @ Reds

May 4: @ Astros

May 14: Dodgers

July 3: @ Diamondbacks

September 8: Reds

September 18: @ Cubs

SportsCenter question of the night.

Which bullpen would you rather have with a lead in the 9th inning: Brewers or Mets?

Brewers 68%

Mets 32%

States 50-0 Brewers.

Now I know the results are good, but the fact that we're in the poll to begin with sucks.

Instances when the Brewers have blown a save opportunity in 9th inning and LOST:

April 20: @ Reds

May 4: @ Astros

May 14: Dodgers

July 3: @ Diamondbacks

September 8: Reds

September 18: @ Cubs

It's one thing to blow a save. What the Brewers do is beyond that. Two of the instances on that list were totally gut-wrenching defeats that should have been sure wins. The loss at Arizona and today's loss each carried approximately 99% chance of victory. They've now blown games like that twice this season. Twice! That's just crazy. They had one last year too, against Texas.

Only the Brewers...

Today's loss, the July 3 loss @AZ, and the June 9, 2007 loss were absolutely gut-wrenching and stunning. In all three cases, not an out was recorded between the time the rally began and it ended. Now, that fact isn't mutually exclusive with the fact that the Brewers had a 99% of victory, but are you freakin' kidding me?

I could write a book about this terrible streak. They're finding new and outlandish ways of losing EVERY DAY.

Hey Chicago, whaduya say? The cubs are going to win today. (repeat thousands of times as necessary)

I can't get the song out of my head. They played it OVER and OVER after the game. They sang it walking out of the stadium. They sang it on the streets. They sang it on the El. They will no doubt be singing it in my nightmares for years to come.

My vent exceeds simple annoyance. The song doesn't even make sense. At the point that the song is always played, the Cubs have already won.

The blowing big lead trend really began the afternoon of June 19th. You might recall, that was the day Bush didn't allow a hit until the 8th inning. Brewers led 8-0 after 7. Toronto got 1 in the eighth, then 6 in the 9th and had the tying run on when the game finally ended.

I've seen a lot of bad Brewer teams over the years, but I've never seen one as prone as this one is to cough up huge leads in the 9th inning. Apparently all those losing teams in Pittsburgh affected Torres. He doesn't know how to win.

what bothers me the Most is that the team has never corrected their mistakes all year.

They Swing at bad pitches

The lack Plate Discpline and Lack the Clutch Hitting

They Are a bad base running team.

The 3rd base coaching has been very Questionable and the bullpen pen has not been a force the FO thought it woukd be.

This all added up to the Brewers falling apart again this year and most likely missing the post season again.

I suppose there are plenty of fine people in New York and Philadelphia elated with what's transpiring in Cincinnati. I use the word "suppose" because I have yet to be convinced that there are indeed fine people living in those two places. I don't know what the people of Milwaukee did to deserve this fate over the last 26 years, but it's awfully disheartening.

I may drive to Cincy specifically to boo this team. To heck with this. It's inhumane to watch. The team has lost all heart. I don't see any recovery. It's radioactively bad what they've done. A whole generation of promising talent will be infected with this losing attitude, this failure ethic. Done, done, done. And Selig had the chutzpah to suggest MINNESOTA be contracted?

Archived