Brewer Fanatic

Ned Yost Yay or Nay thread: Hardball Times rips Yost (part 2)

Ennder

yea, we were sort of posting at the same moments in the game last night, and it was readily clear to me, DJ - and a post that long in blue wouldn't have been as funny, fwiw.

Nice to know you've got my back, though AC & don http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been increasingly critical of Yost, and looking at today's starting lineup made me wish I had been harsher. I mean, come on, I said to no one in particular -- Joe freakin' Dillon hitting third and playing LF in a pennant race? What kind of idiot would write out that lineup?

Score one for Ned, plus Cordero's back-to-back four-out saves makes two.

Greg.

Hey - he used Cordero in the 8th today to relieve a reeling Turnbow. None of us dumb fans would have thought of that!

Jenkins - 2 AB v. LHP (iirc both with men on base), Nix - 1 AB v. LHP, Mench - 0 AB v. LHP

You're just ignorant. It's up to the players to execute no matter what the situation is. Jenkins should have found a way to hit that ball in the dirt (off a LHP) to prevent that weird hit-and-run from failing miserably. And it's just blind luck that Cordero got out of that inning with a strikeout, while somebody like Aquino throws wild pitches and gives up triples. Stop holding Yost accountable for the things that have happened to this team. It's just not fair!

I've always wanted to use this. DJ43 has finally given me the oppurtunity and for that I thank him.

http://img110.exs.cx/img110/5761/sarcasm_meter.gif

Geez, still at that kind of argument? If you aren't willing to recognize that valid criticism does not equal blind hatred, I don't really know what to say. It's hard to find these kinds of blanket statements, except from the pro-Yost crowd - which at this point seems more like the anti-Yost-criticism crowd..

Geez, still at that kind of argument? If you aren't willing to recognize that valid criticism does not equal blind hatred, I don't really know what to say. It's hard to find these kinds of blanket statements, except from the pro-Yost crowd - which at this point seems more like the anti-Yost-criticism crowd..

Totally agree. Maybe we should shorthand this as AAY (anti-anti-Yost)?

If you aren't willing to recognize that valid criticism does not equal blind hatred, I don't really know what to say.
It is ok to give valid criticism to Yost, but it's also ok to compliment him as well. As much as we've blamed him for losing games, he's won a lot of us as well. Case and Point: starting Joe Dillon in LF over Jenkins and bringing in Cordero in the 8th inning. There are many more, but those aren't the things you hear about. You hear about when he brings in guys with 0.46 ERA's vs righties to face a righty and plays the percentages, but in hindsight doesn't work. (see Greg Aquino)

Yost has a logical reason for every move he makes and just because it doesn't work out, doesn't mean it was a bad move. Your criticism is valid, but Yost's reason for every move is valid as well.

It is ok to give valid criticism to Yost, but it's also ok to compliment him as well.

I do this, have done this, and will continue to do so. I'm tired of being told I'm not being fair when I go out of my way to do so.

1. Corey Hart sac bunt

2. Braun lifted early AGAIN!

3. Matt Wise in the 10th.

Yosted right out of the playoff race.

*Sigh*

Bring on Favre's team!

Failure to execute after the Dillon double - get two runs there, and Weeks' homer means you turn to Codero for the 9th. Wise never in the game in the first place.

I'm gonna vote yea - especially if Sheets is out.

Corey Hart sac bunt

Have we ever been successful in bunting anyone over and scoring him? The answer is NO. It's a shame Ned doesn't even know his own team by now. The Brewers should just swing away and take their chances.

Someone on the Brewers.com forum made a great point . . .

Pitchers typically don't run well. If they're not going to be needed anymore, you can take them out and replace them with a pinch runner.

That means you can put on a faster runner that will score a run when a batter hits a double, instead of being stranded on 3rd.

Remember when Bush was stranded at third but then never went out to pitch again? That could have been the winning run.

My question is why didn't Bush go out to pitch the next inning?

To clarify, pinch running shouldn't have been the issue. Why did he hit if there was no intention of having him pitch the next inning?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Corey Hart sac bunt

Have we ever been successful in bunting anyone over and scoring him? The answer is NO. It's a shame Ned doesn't even know his own team by now. The Brewers should just swing away and take their chances.

Shades of Hardy's sac bunt in the 9th in Chicago three weeks back.

This loss feels very similiar to that one.

My question is why didn't Bush go out to pitch the next inning?

To clarify, pinch running shouldn't have been the issue. Why did he hit if there was no intention of having him pitch the next inning?

Stop second guessing! Maybe it was a "gut" feeling. Whatever it was, I think we should just assume he had a good reason for it, and not question it any further. There's so much that goes on in a major league dugout, you couldn't possibly understand enough to formulate a valid opinion on the subject. Everybody makes mistakes. How do you know that a different manager wouldn't do the same stupid things over and over and over and over and over and over and over, just like Ned?

It's easy to question the decison now that it didn't work out, but what if Bush had hit a homerun? What if Braun's defensive replacement made an awesome defensive play and then hit the game-winning homerun?? You'd be hailing Ned a genius. Instead, you're questioning his moves because you HATE him. Stop asking questions. Support Ned, or get off the Brewer bandwagon...

Shades of Hardy's sac bunt in the 9th in Chicago three weeks back

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking of again. I was furious that Ned bunted in that situation too because I knew this team does not execute well in those situations. It just amazes me that Ned just doesn't have that sense.

I said 6 weeks ago that Joe Dillon was a good hitter and should be playing more. Ned just figured it out a few days ago. . . . way too late. He just can not see things very well.

The entire city of Milwaukee knew tonight that Matt Wise was going to blow this game. But for some reason, Ned couldn't see it. It's just scary when fans figure out things much faster than the manager.

How long did it take Yost to figure out that Chad Moeller was terrible. We all knew it very early on. But Ned kept letting him hit with the game on the line.

The guy is just plain stupid sometimes.

Community Moderator

The Brewers are not talented enough to win more than 85 games. Look at our team. We have inconsistent starting pitching, a bullpen that has blown the most leads in baseball, and an offense that is too dependent on home runs and can't manufacture runs.

I think Yost has done a great job to get this team where it is.

Yes, the Cardinals have overachieved this year. But they underachieved last year during the regular season. They barely made the playoffs and failed during the stretch run, nearly choking the division to the Reds. I also know they have had a tough year, but they got back into the race before falling apart again. They still have as much talent as the Brewers. They will still be favorites next year.

Taking one of the youngest teams in baseball nearly into the playoffs is a bigger accomplishment than following up an 83-win season with a veteran ballclub.

Yost will get his extension and he deserves it. Anyone who jumps ship because of it won't be missed.

The Brewers are not talented enough to win more than 85 games. Look at our team. We have inconsistent starting pitching, a bullpen that has blown the most leads in baseball, and an offense that is too dependent on home runs and can't manufacture runs.

I think Yost has done a great job to get this team where it is.

Yes, the Cardinals have overachieved this year. But they underachieved last year during the regular season. They barely made the playoffs and failed during the stretch run, nearly choking the division to the Reds. I also know they have had a tough year, but they got back into the race before falling apart again. They still have as much talent as the Brewers. They will still be favorites next year.

Taking one of the youngest teams in baseball nearly into the playoffs is a bigger accomplishment than following up an 83-win season with a veteran ballclub.

Yost will get his extension and he deserves it. Anyone who jumps ship because of it won't be missed.

is this whole thing supposed to be in blue? The Cards don't have near the talet the Crew does. Its not even close. Sure Larussa has a veteran ball club. They are OLD. Rolen and Edmonds aren't nearly the players they once were. Their only real player right now is Pujols. I believe the Crew has enough talet to win 87-90 and would have with a manager that wasn't brain dead. Nobody is going to jump ship if Yost gets an extension because we are all Brewers fans first. However, you'll be one of few that would be happy with that decision.

Why do you make it out that everybody who likes Yost thinks those who don't should go cheer for another team?

Because that's what a lot of them explicitly say. Here's an example from tonight, in the Tony LaRussa thread: "Yost will get his extension and he deserves it. Anyone who jumps ship because of it won't be missed."

This kind of crap is constantly being spewed out as some people's idea of an actual defense for Yost. It's not really a defense of Yost at all. It speaks nothing of his abilities of a manager, but rather attacks the character and fandom of a particular group of posters. If you've never made a similar comment, I apologize for singling you out.

Archived