Brewer Fanatic

Ned Yost Yay or Nay thread: Hardball Times rips Yost (part 2)

Ennder

Yost's press conferences at the end of the game drive me nuts. All the reporters are afraid to upset him and ask anything that would possibly question any of his decisions. The closest anyone came last night was someone asking "Is Braun ok?" Ned didn't bite. He just said, "Yeah, Braun is fine".

Yost is defensive and snippy in his PC's even after wins. He doesn't give the impression of a manager with confidence or of someone who has a firm grip on the situation.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3. Once again, bringing in Turnbow for a second consecutive day, with the kicker being with runners already on 1st and 2nd. Not only did I assume the game would at least be tied at that point, Turnbow decides to have a total mental lapse and allow Berkman and Lee to DOUBLE STEAL with one out! If he had at least looked at 2nd base, that flyball doesn't score a run, and the Brewers get out of that inning down 1 run. Weeks 2 run shot the next inning gives them the lead, and Cordero comes in and closes the game out.

Its pretty much a given that when Yost uses Turnbow in a blowout win/loss, the next day he will need to use him in a high impact situation - and Turnbow will be no good. Ned likes stats right? Maybe he should look at Turnbows stats the second day of consecutive day outings.

I would like to take a second for a shout out: Steve Phillips and John Kruk blasting Milwaukee fans for their 20/20 hindsight... there is a reason neither of you are holding decision making jobs. Keep on blowing hard at EverySinglePersonNeeds to know about the Red Sox and Yankees at least 20 times per show. Morons.

I would like to take a second for a shout out: Steve Phillips and John Kruk blasting Milwaukee fans for their 20/20 hindsight.

Wow, did they really do this? I didn't see Baseball tonight last night. Maybe they should be directed to the in-game thread from last night. Pretty much every poster on that thread was questioning Ned's moves as they happened, saying things like "Oh..this isn't going to turn out good." And they were right! There was much more foresight in that thread than hindsight. Heck even the Houston announcers were questioning Ned's decisions...especially his decision not to use Cordero. The Cub fans have started a thread praising Ned and his stupid moves. Hello Steve and John, it's not just Brewer fans, it's the whole baseball world that is questioning Ned's managing skills.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

It wasn't on last nights show, but I heard them making comments all throughout the show on Sunday night. It was just festering in me and had to get it out. Didn't want to start another BT bashing thread though, they don't deserve the publicity - good or bad.

Edit: Steve and John are idiots anyway, so its not surprising to me when I hear them make moronic comments under their breath.

I really think my five year old son could beat Ned Yost in a game that requires planning ahead. I'm not even talking chess here...tic-tac-toe would do it.

Reporter: Ned, didn't you see that the kid had two Os lined up along the bottom? Why'd you put your X in the center?

Yost: I was in the flow of the game...you gotta take the center square when it's offered, especially on the road. I've won twice before when taking the center square.

Reporter: Ned, didn't you see that the kid had two Os lined up along the bottom? Why'd you put your X in the center?

Yost: I was in the flow of the game...you gotta take the center square when it's offered, especially on the road. I've won twice before when taking the center square.

Thanks for that -- http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

As far as replacing Braun -- Why doesn't it occur to Ned to replace Weeks ever. I know Rickie hit an HR last night, but generally speaking Weeks is bad defensively -- but Braun is an MVP type bat.

I just don't think he thinks, he does.

Please fire Ned. Please.

Can we start a separate thread chronicling these individual managerial mistakes? (I've sort of lost count myself.)

Maybe a place to vote for the single dumbest move in each game???

For last night, my vote would go to bringing in Turnbow with men on base. A close second (would be first, but my vote goes to the Turnbow move as without this he might not have had the chance to make this additional foolish decision) would be not using Cordero, ever...I don't think it was horrible to start the inning with Wise, but at some point shouldn't he think that it makes no sense to save Cordero anymore...maybe with a runner on third and one out. Maybe, just maybe, that is the time for your best pitcher?...y'know with the game being managed as if it were the last game of the year and all. If the game were still tied after using up Cordero, he has Capuano waiting to go multiple innings...just senseless.

I had a long conversation with a few of my friends after the game last night, who happen to be Cub fans (not your typical kool-aid drinkers, they actually know something about baseball). They couldn't believe who the Brewers had pitching from the 7th inning on. Every pitching change and personnel move Yost made starting with taking Bush out of the game put Milwaukee at a disadvantage. They weren't sure what the biggest reason why the Brewers weren't 5-6 games ahead of the Cubs was at this point - Sheets' July injury that totally altered the Brewers rotation/bullpen plan for the 2nd half of the season, or Yost's ineptitude.

Unless the Brewers find a way to get into the playoffs, Yost should be canned. The Cubs have the big three in Lee, Soriano, and Ramirez, but even my friends acknowledge that the Brewers have a 1B, 3B, and OF that are having better years than those players. The position player talent to fill out the remainder of the roster isn't close, with the Brewers clearly having better talent. The difference right now is in the bullpen, a big advantage for the Cubs, since they have more consistent, veteran arms (and Marmol, he's amazing), plus a manager who knows how to use his pen.

That all being said, my Cub fan friends concluded that the Cubs better get in the playoffs this year, because the Brewers are going to be nails in 08. They've noticed what that lineup with a healthy Weeks and another year of seasoning for all the young stars will look like.

That's just depressing. I was hoping a good night's sleep would somewhat get me over last night's game. It hasn't. He's a foolish man. Fine, trot Wise out there for the 10th, whatever I suppose, what's the difference at this point, but when he walks the first batter, please bring in Cordero.

I thought Ned had given me reason within the last week that he had turned the page. Particularly Saturday's game against the Reds at home. Short leashes with the pitchers, etc.

Then it all came crashing down last night. I haven't liked Ned for a year and a half, but truth be told, I thought if they have a winning record this year he should atleast get one more year to try to get to the playoffs. Not anymore. I don't care if we finish 83-79, 84-78, I don't care if we make the playoffs, he should be gone, he makes me sick.

Most definitely NAY.

The reasons for not bringing your closer into an extra inning tie game on the road have been discussed before. I think Yost did what he should have, it just didn't work out.

So if we're playing the Mets at Shea in an elimination game, you'd be okay with Cordero sitting in the bullpen while Spurling, Stetter, and Wise tried to slog through the late/extra innings of a tie game?

Really?

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

I hear Ned on the Wise issue. I guess what I don't get is we are playing each game like it's our last. We've now said Coco will go 2 innings if need be. He could have put him out there for the 10th, gotten through the meat of their order, then if we got the lead, trotted out there for the 11th. Maybe if we didn't get anything going...go to Wise then against the bottom of the order. I will concede that Ned has been consistent on this issue all year...not using Coco on the road until it's a save, but I think last night would have been a good time to change.

Two other probs I have with Ned in the last games. T-bow stunk last night. Look at his splits...the problem was he pitched the night before when he wasn't needed in a blowout. The guy is gassed from overuse and can't go 2 days straight. I'd have no problem throwing him into the fire in a key situation...with rest. He should not have been in there on Tuesday. I believe that caused the ineffectiveness last night.

Second, Bill Hall is not yet a good center fielder. I can't completely recall the situation that got him in the game, but he could have been more prepared to make a throw on the tag to third in the 10th. Please tell me he wasn't a defensive sub. He holds the runner at 2d and he doesn't score on the Pence single.

T-bow stunk last night. Look at his splits...the problem was he pitched the night before when he wasn't needed in a blowout. The guy is gassed from overuse and can't go 2 days straight. I'd have no problem throwing him into the fire in a key situation...with rest. He should not have been in there on Tuesday. I believe that caused the ineffectiveness last night.

Exactamundo!

I may have figured out why the Brewers are much worse on the road... Ned Yost doesn't have the fans behind the dugout telling him what to do next when they are on the road.

Can we start a separate thread chronicling these individual managerial mistakes? (I've sort of lost count myself.)

Maybe a place to vote for the single dumbest move in each game???

I am just thinking that we could have an economical summary of questionable decisions, game-by-game, without the venting (which I have been known to indulge in myself).

I can't believe Maddux or Sveum never lean over and whisper in Ned's ear, "Dude, what are you doing?"

Thats what supposedly got Yount to rethink his position.

Really? I hadn't heard this before. I'm not saying it's wrong, and certainly wouldn't be shocked, but where did you hear this?

Yost's press conferences at the end of the game drive me nuts. All the reporters are afraid to upset him and ask anything that would possibly question any of his decisions. The closest anyone came last night was someone asking "Is Braun ok?" Ned didn't bite. He just said, "Yeah, Braun is fine".

Yost is defensive and snippy in his PC's even after wins. He doesn't give the impression of a manager with confidence or of someone who has a firm grip on the situation.

That's hilarious...same impression I got. It's interesting to actually see the press conference and then read the article the next day. I am much less impressed with the reporters now that I see what's behind the curtain. They are afraid to ask Ned a tough question and frankly, they don't seem that bright. I can't tell who is asking what so I can't comment on a specific reporter, but as a group, they are weak. I'll give Ned this...he really knows how to handle them.

I have defended Ned Yost all year, but I have no defense for what happened last night. I still like Ned Yost as our manager and hopefully he learns from last night, but he did not put his team in the best position to win yesterday.

What happened last night has happened about 10 times this season. I can't see how people can still like having Yost as our manager.

I have defended Ned Yost all year, but I have no defense for what happened last night. I still like Ned Yost as our manager and hopefully he learns from last night, but he did not put his team in the best position to win yesterday.

I too wish he would learn, but I gave up on that happening months ago.

Archived