Brewer Fanatic

Ned Yost Yay or Nay thread: Hardball Times rips Yost (part 3)

DuWayne Steurer

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When retaliation is more important then a pennant race..........

Nay.

Could this be the move that is so egregiously stupid that there can be no one left to deny that this dolt should be shown the door? And he plunks a guy to put a runner on base in advance of calling on Turnbow. I think my 4-year old niece even knows how bad Turnbow is when he enters a game with men on base.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Nay.

Could this be the move that is so egregiously stupid that there can be no one left to deny that this dolt should be shown the door? And he plunks a guy to put a runner on base in advance of calling on Turnbow. I think my 4-year old niece even knows how bad Turnbow is when he enters a game with men on base.

I hate to make an emotion fueled post, but I hope so. I've tried to be not so critical of Yost, and realize the positive aspects of what he does, but this just absolutely takes the cake. It completely overshadows anything he does that's considered a positive for this team.

It will be extremely hard for me to get excited about the Brewers next year if Yost is the manager because I know in my heart that he will blow their chances at the playoffs yet again. Even if we somehow manage to make the playoffs in spite of Yost I have no confidence at all in him managing a team in a playoff game.

Under Yost, no matter how much talent, this club will NEVER rid itself of its inability to come up big in clutch situations and its tendency to underachieve in the second half. His boneheadedness and unique ability to put players in a position to fail simply CANNOT be overcome.

None of Yost's explanations in his post game conference made any sense.

Tom Pipines: D-Bow is statistically a better pitcher when beginning an inning as opposed to inheriting runners.

Yost: He was on 3 days rest.....that shouldn't matter.

Yost: I brought in McClung under the stipulation that if he allowed a baserunner, he was going to be pulled for Turnbow.

What is the logic behind that exactly? Especially in a close game.

$^$$&*%^(^&%^%$^&$?

And he immediately jerked his head away from the reporter as he claimed McClung's pitch was not retalation. That's a pretty tell-tale sign a person is lying.

Yost: I brought in McClung under the stipulation that if he allowed a baserunner, he was going to be pulled for Turnbow.

Funny how he hit a guy on the first pitch - what a coincidence! Good thing he had Turnbow warming too.

http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Funny how he hit a guy on the first pitch - what a coincidence! Good thing he had Turnbow warming too.

http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif

The entire thing stinks, and what I find ironic is that in his press conference also, he was asked if he thought hitting Prince was retaliation, and his response was, "it sure looked like it". So he's basing his opinion on shear observation and circumstance, but he can't possibly understand why people would be questioning his intentions in an even more obvious situation.

I wonder what Mark A. is thinking tonight. He was at the game again, wasn't he? He sure can't be thrilled with Yost now.

How embarrassing. Imagine sitting in in the crossfire of that profane exchange between LaRussa & your own employee's shrill vulgar namecalling one night (on national TV), and the next watching helplessly as the same employee retaliates, gets ejected automatically after a warning, and watching the team you own get pounded into the ground as a result. Sorry you had to go through that, Mark. Welcome to our world. We didn't hire him, either.

Nay.

When Prince got hit, intentionally, early in the game, I turned to my sister and her boyfriend and said, "The ideal situation now is a 5 run lead late in the game -- bring in Spurling or Stetter just to plunk Pujols in the jaw". I never for a moment suspected we'd retaliate late in the game with a small lead, let alone WHILE STILL TRAILING. Just one of many reasons I couldn't take it anymore and left my seat the moment Walky McWalk made it 4-2 Cards.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I only wish Ned had this fire in June, July, and August. If he managed with this intensity then, he may not have had to this week. (Yes, I know you can't act like every game of 162 is "game 7", but there are times I wish he would have taken up for his guys, the Prince/LA incident for example).

After all, there was a clamoring for Phil Garner to return after he got canned. He would have gone Izzy Alcantera on LaRussa tonight. http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif

I don't know that I've ever been angrier after a Brewers loss, and that includes those debacles in Chicago last month. Way to show everyone what a tough guy you are, Ned. Because this was definitely the time and place for it. I hope to God that Mark A went to the clubhouse and fired him right after the game, but that would just be too good to be true.

And I know he can't come straight out and say he sent McClung in there to bean Pujols, but good grief. At least say "no comment" or something like that. Don't insult every sentient human being who watched the game by saying that the pitch got away.

I'll enter my vote before I head out for vacation and miss the last four games: nay.

I echoed for a while what someone had posted earlier in the season (Ennder, I believe): "Yost may not be the problem, but he's definitely not the solution." It summed up my overall lukewarm attitude towards Yost in particular and managers in general.

Now, however, over the past 2-3 months I've come to believe that Yost, is in fact, part of the problem. And if he did order Pujols hit (which I have no doubt in my mind about) that alone is an inexcusable offense given the circumstances of the game and season.

I'm too disoriented from tonight's game to say any more, but I'm sure there will be ample discussion after the season is over.

For the NFL fans on here, I'd like to point out that Yost reminds me a LOT of Mike Sherman when he coached the Packers.

Both worked very hard and were well-respected by their players. They usually come up with pretty decent gameplans or lineups, and tend to handle game preparation very well.

Both are/were very poor in-game managers. They will seemingly freeze up in crucial gametime situations. Whether it's substitutions, clock managment, crucial decision making, they both seem to come up very short. Experienced managers/coaches will make them look ridiculous with the game on the line.

Also, both will generally avoid taking any responsibility for shortcomings in a game. I have never heard either take the responsibility for the loss of a game on himself. They will generally give some statistics or try to come up with excuses rather than admit that their own decision-making was regrettable.

At the very least, Yost seemed steamed enough at Turnbow in the press conference that he may have finally learned his lesson. He didn't directly call out Turnbow, but he very heatedly pointed out that you should be able to close out the 8th with a runner on first and 2 outs.

Which lesson? About Turnbow with inherited runners, about leaving pitchers in until after it is too late, about putting in right-handed hitters against right handed pitching, about putting in left-handed hitters against left-handed pitching, about leaving pitchers in to bat in the top half of the inning and then replacing them in the bottom half, about giving hitters the green light with two outs and the bases loaded after the previous two hitters were walked by the same pitcher, about allowing contact hitters to bunt with 2 strikes (three nights in a row), or the dozen other bizzaare decisions he has repeatedly made costing the Brewers various ballgames this year?

Archived