Brewer Fanatic

Impressions of Roenicke so far (part 2)

PKBadger

Eddie the Windmill... I've seen enough of him as third base coach.

EDIT: Also, RRR got owned by Bochy tonight in the 8th, which is just sad (as I don't think much of Bochy the strategist). The fact that he thinks a Mark Kotsay plate appearance vs. a RHP is more valuable than Brett Carroll + Carroll's huge edge on defense. Of course it was a huge surprise when Kotsay couldn't get to a Chris Stewart "single" that basically any competent CF would've caught.

The mismanagement of this team, from Doug Melvin down, this season is as appalling as it is maddening.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes RR really is that stupid.....

McGehee went to second on the throw home, then moved to third when Betancourt smacked a single off the glove of Vogelsong. With Betancourt breaking for second, Stewart faked a throw down and McGehee came down the line, becoming an easy out when the catcher chased him down.

Roenicke took responsibility for that out.

“We’re trying to do something with two outs and two strikes,” said Roenicke. “If you wait until he throws the ball, you’re not going to be safe. We were trying to get a run somewhere and they didn’t go for it.”

I really hope that McGehee was caught off third on his own. RR would NEVER call a double steal with the slowest dude on the squad at third would he? Would he????

Morgan going to third on a passed ball that didnt get far enough away, I can live with. Casey being used in a double steal I dont get.

What really bothered me was not putting Carroll into Center last night. He is probably the best OF on the team(toss up between him and Morgan) and yet you use the below average guy as a defensive replacement. Just because he can doenst mean you should in regards to Kotsay.

Morgan going to third on a passed ball that didnt get far enough away, I can live with. Casey being used in a double steal I dont get.

What really bothered me was not putting Carroll into Center last night. He is probably the best OF on the team(toss up between him and Morgan) and yet you use the below average guy as a defensive replacement. Just because he can doenst mean you should in regards to Kotsay.

He burned Carroll. The sequence was Bochy let Affeldt start the 8th to face Morgan. Roenicke lifts Morgan for Carroll. Bochy takes out Affeldt and puts in Romo. Roenicke then lifts Carroll for Kotsay. The offensive advantage of doing so is just slight (if any) that it can in no way out weigh the defensive issue. And it means you let either McGehee or Betancourt hit for themselves.

Kotsay v. RHP this season: .235/.291/.319

Jamey Carroll can outhit that, I guarantee you. There was no offensive advantage gained, & that's the saddest part.

Thing is that is almost Morgan vs LHer bad. And that's not taking into account the fact Momo is a much better reliever than Affeldt.

I really hope that McGehee was caught off third on his own. RR would

NEVER call a double steal with the slowest dude on the squad at third

would he? Would he????

Slowest non catcher in the league. And most catchers are faster.

Kotsay v. RHP this season: .235/.291/.319
Amazingly, after going 0 for 25 last season vs. LHP, he is 5 for 10 this year against LHP. Is it wrong of me to be scared that Roenicke will start using Kotsay due to his ability to "make an adjustment to LHP's over the offseason"?

Understanding platoon advantages is one thing I think Ron Roenicke does reasonably well. Of course, a lot of the platoon cases on the Brewers are pretty obvious (Morgan vs. LHP, Kotsay vs. LHP, McGehee vs. RHP, McGehee vs. LHP)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Roenicke actually seems to understand platoon advantages quite well. What he doesn't understand, which there's just no explanation for, is that Mark Kotsay cannot hit.

Except when it comes to Randy Wolf. I'd be curious to know how many times Wolf has faced another lefty pitcher since they recalled Kottaras, because it seems like every time. Splits be damned, Wolf refuses to throw to Lucroy.

Now, granted, Kottaras' splits over his career are not extreme, but it's just the point that losing the platoon advantage for the sake of Randy Wolf's feelings just doesn't set well with me.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Making Wolf uncomfortable on the mound for 35 ABs for 3 ABs by Lucroy makes no sense to me

Or, just maybe, Wolf could be a professional and get together with Lucroy and do his job.

I'm not a huge fan of a manager making his lineup decisions based on the psyche of a #4 pitcher. Of course, Roenicke's also batting a career .330 OBP guy (.342 this year) leadoff, because he doesn't like to hit 5th.

Again, great that the players 'like' Roenicke so much, but I don't see where that's showing up in the wins and losses.

The thing I think DPR doesn't understand is the quality of hitters outside of his elite hitters.(Braun and Fielder) Morgan is a far better hitter than either Carroll or Kotsay even without the platoon advantage. DPR also doesn't seem to grasp defense, which is really weird since he employs tons of infield shifts. He really got outmaneuvered last night and we got stuck with Kotsay in CF.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

We have a manager who really doesn't like to "manage"...........how about taking some responsibilty for the outcome of the game? If you don't think its a good idea then tell your players what you want them to do.

His managerial style appears to be.....The players know what to do so I pretty much leave it up to them.

Roenicke did not order the bunt and wasn’t particularly enthused that Hart, who later collected two hits off Bumgarner, gave himself up. But he then said the hitter usually knows best in those situations.

"That’s his decision there to bunt,” said Roenicke. “He knows he’s supposed to get the guy over. If it’s a pitcher where he thinks it’s going to be tough to do, if that’s what he thinks he needs to do, then he does it.

“In that situation, you’d like to think he’s going to swing the bat to get him over. The hitter is the one who knows what’s going on. He knows how the pitcher is throwing to them. I kind of leave it up to them. If he thinks he needs to push a bunt, then that’s his decision.”

Community Moderator
We have a manager who really doesn't like to "manage"...........how about taking some responsibilty for the outcome of the game? If you don't think its a good idea then tell your players what you want them to do.

His managerial style appears to be.....The players know what to do so I pretty much leave it up to them.

If the manager doesn't call a bunt, that usually means that the player does not bunt. I've never heard of a manager calling a "no bunt". My impression is that Roenicke thinks Hart should not have bunted there, although he got the runner over so he can't really fault him.

So he leaves it up to the players to do something he doesn't really want them to do.......

Managers certainly can tell players to hit away and not bunt.

RR clearly does not want to exercise that power. Its the same way he handles everything. He manages like its more important for him to be liked then to do what is needed to try and win the game.

Somebody has to be in charge and RR seems to want to manage by consensus.

I just don't know of any good manager(in any profession) that manages like he does.

"He really got outmaneuvered last night and we got stuck with Kotsay in CF. "

I think the bigger problem is that he's made it clear that he doesn't see a big problem with Kotsay in CF.

I think it's more that he doesn't see it as a big problem to have Kotsay in CF out of necessity for a total of 45 innings, and I'd agree.

One of the problems with him playing Kotsay is that he's the primary backup outfielder. Wouldn't it make sense to get rid of Counsell to open up another spot for an outfielder? Everyone says Counsell is not hurting the team in his mercy at bats, but he is eating up a spot that could be used on someone who can actually play.

One of the problems with him playing Kotsay is that he's the primary backup outfielder. Wouldn't it make sense to get rid of Counsell to open up another spot for an outfielder? Everyone says Counsell is not hurting the team in his mercy at bats, but he is eating up a spot that could be used on someone who can actually play.

Gomez was on the team.

The necessity was mostly because of injuries to Morgan and the inability of Gomez to hit righties. RR messed up the substituting a bit last game and Kotsay had to play CF for one inning. Big deal.

Archived