Brewer Fanatic

Impressions of Roenicke so far (part 3)

Bernman23
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

McGehee actually squared to bunt with runners on 1st and 2nd.

McGehee.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McGehee.

The fact that he was in the game at all (over Green) is a sign that Roenicke either A) is stubborn and doesn't want to admit he was wrong by not benching McGehee earlier, B) is stubborn and doesn't like rookies, or C) is crazy and actually thinks McGehee is a better option than Green at this point.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

McGehee.

The fact that he was in the game at all (over Green) is a sign that Roenicke either A) is stubborn and doesn't want to admit he was wrong by not benching McGehee earlier, B) is stubborn and doesn't like rookies, or C) is crazy and actually thinks McGehee is a better option than Green at this point.

Yeah, but look how happy and jolly the guys are that McGehee and Betancourt are still getting to play everyday. And that's what is most important. Wouldn't want the team to get disgruntled by scoring more runs and playing better defense with pukes like Green and Hairston!

The only rationalization I can make is that Green hasn't been that great in his starts. His first start was good, and his PH's have been good but since that first start there hasn't been much. McGehee is just awful though and should not be playing, especially not batting 6th. But since you have Yuni who's also somehow getting playing time batting 7th then there's really no where to move the blackholes. Maybe we should bat Lucroy 6th, then the pitcher 7th, the McGehee and Betancourt.

The only rationalization I can make is that Green hasn't been that great in his starts. His first start was good, and his PH's have been good but since that first start there hasn't been much. McGehee is just awful though and should not be playing, especially not batting 6th. But since you have Yuni who's also somehow getting playing time batting 7th then there's really no where to move the blackholes. Maybe we should bat Lucroy 6th, then the pitcher 7th, the McGehee and Betancourt.

He went 1-4 with a double in his 2nd start. Then 0-3 against a former CY Young winner Carpenter, 1-3 against another CY Young winner Halladay, and 0-3 against Worley, a guy who a lot of people have had trouble with this year. And if you watch his ABs, most of his outs are line drives as well. So that rationalization that "Green hasn't been that great in his (4) starts" is just asinine and the kind of thinking that sadly, Roenicke is probably using. There is no defense for it. Green is clearly a better option than McGehee at this point.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

RRR loves his small samples, but YuniB vs Millwood:

53 .163 .208 .163 .371

Yep. If Hairston can't get a shot tonight, he may never get one.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Hello Ronald Roenicke,

Please bench McGehee and start Green immediately. With men in scoring position, McGehee is a GIDP waiting to happen. With the exception of the month of August, McGehee has been an offensive black hole for most of the season.

Please make the switch now.

Yours Sincerely,

tigerbrew

Hello Ronald Roenicke,

Please bench McGehee and start Green immediately. With men in scoring position, McGehee is a GIDP waiting to happen. With the exception of the month of August, McGehee has been an offensive black hole for most of the season.

Please make the switch now.

Yours Sincerely,

Every single Brewer fan

Fixed

He went 1-4 with a double in his 2nd start. Then 0-3 against a former CY Young winner Carpenter, 1-3 against another CY Young winner Halladay, and 0-3 against Worley, a guy who a lot of people have had trouble with this year. And if you watch his ABs, most of his outs are line drives as well. So that rationalization that "Green hasn't been that great in his (4) starts" is just asinine and the kind of thinking that sadly, Roenicke is probably using. There is no defense for it. Green is clearly a better option than McGehee at this point.

That is exactly what RR is thinking. When you're default opinion is that you rather play Casey over Green, you'll look for any reason to do so. Look, it's not even a lock Green would do better than McGehee over an extended period of time. Even less of a lock he would do significantly better. The question I posed back in June already is of risk/reward. If Green doesn't do any better, you haven't lost anything. But any upside he gives you at all is a plus.

Most managers- good, bad, and everything in between would shake things up when the offense is struggling as it is now. It's almost as if RR is doing this just to prove that he's right. But I don't think that's his motivation. Closing in on 150 games, and he's still convinced McGehee and Yuni are on the verge of breaking out in a big way.

McGehee has a .758 OPS over his last 62 games and a .782 OPS over his last 37 games. Most of the complaints about RR being insane for playing him are pretty baseless. There is no reason to think Green is an upgrade over McGehee in future games.

McGehee had a nice month of August, but he's largely been struggling again these last few weeks, batting .206 in September.

Obviously nothing is a lock either way if say Roenicke was playing Green more vs righthanders unless someone is truly clairvoyant. If i had no choice though except to bet a 1000 dollars on whether Green or McGehee would hit better vs righthanders the rest of the way, i would put my money on Green.

That said, even the idea of a fairly strict platoon between Green/McGehee would need to factor in that for whatever reason this year, Casey has been absolutely atrocious vs lefties this year to the tune of a .430 OPS in 120 at bats. Maybe that's more a fluke given McGehee has hit lefties well in his prior two years, including a .947 OPS last season. I have no idea why Casey has hit almost like pitcher vs lefties this year, but that has been the case.

Given the terrible year McGehee has had, i simply would like to see Roenicke give Green an extended look the rest of the way to see if come playoff time, Green would be deserving of some starts at third instead of just automatically giving those starts to McGehee.

McGehee has a .758 OPS over his last 62 games and a .782 OPS over his last 37 games. Most of the complaints about RR being insane for playing him are pretty baseless. There is no reason to think Green is an upgrade over McGehee in future games.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that McGehee's power spike in August means anything. There are tons of reasons to think Green is better going forward.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that McGehee's power spike in August means anything. There are tons of reasons to think Green is better going forward.

There are reasons to think he 'could be' better, there is no reason to think he 'will be' better. There is a difference. I don't think one solution is a lock over the other, especially not to the point to say the manager is failing by making one decision over the other.

What's McGehee's OPS without the 3 HR game? I know we've said before that you can't just pick and choose games to eliminate but that one really sticks out as the anomaly. If he had hit a HR in 3 consecutive days there might be something to it but he hit 3 in one day and really hasn't done much outside of that. He hit pretty well for about half of August when he raised his avg from .230 to .243 but since then, it's gone back down to .233. His peak OPS on the season is .786, which came on April 25 and by July, he was in the .580s. He's gotten it up to .640 now but that is still atrocious. Anyone watching his approach vs. Green's should be able to tell that Green is the better option.

There are reasons to think he 'could be' better, there is no reason to

think he 'will be' better. There is a difference. I don't think one

solution is a lock over the other, especially not to the point to say

the manager is failing by making one decision over the other.

That's a good enough reason to at least give Green a couple of starts per week. No one knows if Green will outperform McGehee for the remainder of the year, or even if Green will end up being a legitimate major league player, but with the way McGehee has underperformed this year and with the numbers Green has put up in the minors, why shouldn't RR give Green a few starts per week?

I'd think so. Almost for sure.

Dearest Ron, you are committing two travesties every single game, I wish you could remedy at least one of them each night. Please start Green or JHJ. Yuni has a .492 OPS since Aug 15th. McGehee's is .675 over the same period. They are not "breaking out of it".

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I really wish someone would ask Ron, straight up, "Hey Ron, in one word, yes or no, do you truly believe that putting McGehee and Betancourt in the lineup everyday gives this team the best possible chance to win?"

Of course, that would be a catch-22 because if he said yes he'd be a terrible evaluator of talent and just not paying attention to the numbers, and if he said no he'd just be a terrible manager.

I am not Shea Vucinich

I'd think so. Almost for sure.

Dearest Ron, you are committing two travesties every single game, I wish you could remedy at least one of them each night. Please start Green or JHJ. Yuni has a .492 OPS since Aug 15th. McGehee's is .675 over the same period. They are not "breaking out of it".

So now we are reduced to just begging for one bad player to be taken out of the lineup.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Impressions of Roenicke? I did a great impression of Roenicke tonight.

I watched an episode of Hee Haw for the 150th straight night in anticipation that it will actually turn out funny.

When my wife and kids protested, I pointed out the last time we watched something new, it wasn't any good, so therefore, anything new will be bad.

When my kids continued to argue, I ordered them to lay down a bunt and sent them to bed.

By the way, Minnie Pearl still has the sales tag on her hat. Maybe she'll notice it in tomorrow's episode.

I really wish someone would ask Ron, straight up, "Hey Ron, in one word, yes or no, do you truly believe that putting McGehee and Betancourt in the lineup everyday gives this team the best possible chance to win?"

Took me a while to remember where I saw this, but Tom Haudricourt tweeted back on 9/6 about asking Roenicke about this, or at least a similar topic. In response to: Why is Lucroy not batting 6th? He's .326 w/ RISP and Yuni is 100 points lower! What gives???

That's a very good question. It makes no sense whatsoever. We've asked Roenicke about it many times and gotten nowhere.

Also, TH doesn't mince words about Betancourt. And remember, this is the guy that was talking down his nose to people who pointed out how terrible YB is immediately after the acquisition.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Took me a while to remember where I saw this, but Tom Haudricourt tweeted back on 9/6 about asking Roenicke about this, or at least a similar topic. In response to: Why is Lucroy not batting 6th? He's .326 w/ RISP and Yuni is 100 points lower! What gives???

That's a very good question. It makes no sense whatsoever. We've asked Roenicke about it many times and gotten nowhere.

Also, TH doesn't mince words about Betancourt. And remember, this is the guy that was talking down his nose to people who pointed out how terrible YB is immediately after the acquisition.

this is great. i mean, no one seems to be calling out the coaching staff for playing these guys (expect fans). I realize that writers need to keep good relations with players and management. But the facts are showing mcgehee and betancourt to be terrible, and as we talk about playoffs, it makes me cringe that we aren't considering options.

Impressions of Roenicke? I did a great impression of Roenicke tonight.

I watched an episode of Hee Haw for the 150th straight night in anticipation that it will actually turn out funny.

When my wife and kids protested, I pointed out the last time we watched something new, it wasn't any good, so therefore, anything new will be bad.

When my kids continued to argue, I ordered them to lay down a bunt and sent them to bed.

By the way, Minnie Pearl still has the sales tag on her hat. Maybe she'll notice it in tomorrow's episode.

Ok, you just made me laugh out loud at work! Thanks for making my afternoon brighter. Maybe it's just my boredom, but I found this post to be hilarious!

Archived