Brewer Fanatic

Impressions of Roenicke so far (part 3)

Bernman23
  • Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's thrown 14 total pitches in those 2 outings. He should be fine to go 30-40 pitches and eat up a few innings if needed and I think it's pretty clear that RR, for better or worse, wasn't going to back off Marcum for Sunday.

+!@ was RR doing…

Please note community language etiquette. Stuff that gets caught by the cuss filter needs to be edited. Also, acronyms, abbreviations, or creative spellings to get around the actual cuss aren't to be used. It looks like this post said "***," which is both filtered and an acronym containing a verboten cuss.

Thanks!

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Seriously, you can't say double-u Tee Eff? I can't believe that is considered profanity.

I just see how effectively TLR has used his staff and how we have used ours and I get a little mad.

I propose that Tee Ell Are should also be considered a verboten cuss.

Seriously, you can't say double-u Tee Eff? I can't believe that is considered profanity.

I just see how effectively TLR has used his staff and how we have used ours and I get a little mad.

I can't help but feel it SHOULD have caught up with him by now. 12 hits in 21.2 innings? One less inning(s) pitched than the starters? I realize this gets chalked up to LaRussA.I. (an alcohol powered robot from the future)'s brilliance, but it's got to give at some point* right?

* by 'some point' I mean 'Sun Day'

Both teams have played each other quite a bit so neither has any surprises out of the pen. I really really dislike LaRussa he is using his bullpen the correct way. There is zero reason to push your starters longer. There are plenty of off days off to get rest for your relievers.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

A good manager helps put his team in a position to win even when everything doesn't go according to the "script". Roenicke is incapable of this at this point in his managerial career. Perhaps he'll learn. Perhaps he'll never get it.

I like him better than Yost or Macha now that the season is done, Yost did more completely baffling things and Macha had the team playing like zombies. The most important thing will be seeing how much he learned this year and if he changes the things I didn't like come next season.

I hope he will give guys like Gamel and Green a chance next year. I also hope Melvin refuses to give him guys like Kotsay and Yuni. Watching them get used like they were was almost unbearable.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

In all fairness:

Marcum - 1 IP, 4 ER

Narveson - 1 2/3 IP, 5 ER

...so pretty much anything short of asking both Yo and Wolf start on short rest wasn't going to work.

(And we're a little over a week from Wolf giving up 5 ER in an inning.)

I knew someone was going to say that, but he also had Naverson pitch in relief in game 5. Naverson is a starter and is not used to pitching like that, multiple times in the span of 3 days.

I and all my friends were completely baffled why you would use both Estrada and Naverson in game 5 when it was pretty much out of reach, when you know that there was a better than average chance Marcum was not going to go deep into game 6 and you would need a long man to cover 1-3 innings.

one other thing, did I hear it right in RR's press conference he said, "I don't think it should be the goal of a team in spring training to reach the world series".

WOW.

I mean, yeah I guess if you are Pittsburg or KC or Baltimore obviously that shouldn't be your goal, b/c that's not realistic, and I'm not going to say WS or bust, this season sucked, but can't you say, we had a successful season but we fell short of our goal to make the WS? Is that not the proper way to answer that question?

In all fairness:

Marcum - 1 IP, 4 ER

Narveson - 1 2/3 IP, 5 ER

...so pretty much anything short of asking both Yo and Wolf start on short rest wasn't going to work.

(And we're a little over a week from Wolf giving up 5 ER in an inning.)

Roenicke's not to blame. The decision to start Marcum looks bad, but what options did he have (regardless of who he used in Gm. 5)? Of the 6 Brewers used as starters in 2011, everyone not named Randy Wolf flat-out imploded in the NLCS no matter where they were used. Start Yo early? Cripes, he's as snake-bit against the Cardinals in his career as Marcum has been against, well, anyone over the past 7 starts. Talk about "pick your poison" -- sheesh!

I hate that the Cardinals are on this kind of roll, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they win it all. With their 23-9 finish, NLDS upset of the Phillies, and NLCS victory over the Brewers, LaRussa & his whole team are nothing short of ridiculously hot at the precisely right time.

We were the better team against AZ but were still kinda lucky to pull that one out. We just weren't playing remotely close to well enough to have a chance at putting the Cardinals away. What a painful way to go!

Two consecutive tweets (one a re-tweet) by Haudricourt say most of the story:

miklasz Bernie Miklasz

by Haudricourt

"STL bullpen in the 4 wins vs. Milwaukee: 20 IP, 6 hits, 3 ER, 4 BB, 15 Ks and an .094 batting average allowed. Nasty. Sick."

Haudricourt Tom

#Brewers manager Ron Roenicke on Cardinals' play in NLCS: "Did they do anything wrong during the series?"

Roenicke didn't manage perfectly, but really, it's hard to think much of it would've mattered enough to make a difference....

I'm sorry but TLR didn't have much better starting pitching than we did this series and somehow he found a way to win, so please don't tell me that RR didn't have any options.

RR had plenty of options, he just didn't have the brains to figure out the correct options to use.

Could you name some of those options for us? Other than Yo or Wolf on short rest, I'm not sure what they are, much less that they can be quantified as plenty.

Two consecutive tweets (one a re-tweet) by Haudricourt say most of the story:

miklasz Bernie Miklasz

by Haudricourt

"STL bullpen in the 4 wins vs. Milwaukee: 20 IP, 6 hits, 3 ER, 4 BB, 15 Ks and an .094 batting average allowed. Nasty. Sick."

Haudricourt Tom

#Brewers manager Ron Roenicke on Cardinals' play in NLCS: "Did they do anything wrong during the series?"

Roenicke didn't manage perfectly, but really, it's hard to think much of it would've mattered enough to make a difference....

kotsay in CF in game 3?
Marcum starting game 6.

That would have made a difference.

one other thing, did I hear it right in RR's press conference he said, "I don't think it should be the goal of a team in spring training to reach the world series".
Over the years, Robin Yount repeatedly said that the goal is to win the World Series.

I don't remember RR's words being exactly what you posted, though. I'm not sure that "should be" was part of it. Of course, absent a transcript, it's your ears against mine. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived