Brewer Fanatic

Yuniesky Betancourt: What value does he bring to the team? (part 2)

Oxy
Love this quote from RRR in the Journal...
"It matters who's coming up," manager Ron Roenicke said. "But you've got a judgment to make out there. Your judgment is you know that if the throw is going to be on-line, and you're hoping that throw is off-line. I know when I coached third, I did it all the time, and most the time it works out.

Basically, with Yuni coming up we are so desperate that we will send Fielder into a low probability play to try and tie the game. Good lord Doug...end the madness!!!

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is Yuni's defensive numbers, all I've heard is how awful he is defensively, is that the case? (stats wise).

Thanks

GO BREW

They are terrible in previous years and this year will not really give you much more than random numbers.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

This year is random because of the huge number of shifts the Brewers have incorporated early in the year, and the completely tiny numbers of plays Yuni has had to make.

You see, it's like Nyjer hitting .400. That won't happen for the whole season, but it has happened over 45 ABs. Random. Noise.

But, to answer your question, his UZR/150 so far this season is -7.7. So, for a full season if he keeps up this pace he'd be worth almost a win less than an average SS with his glove.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

KCBrewerfan34, the limitations of defensive stats are discussed earlier in this topic. One huge problem is the lack of objectivity in the raw data. You need a large sample to hopefully "equalize" the errors that occur in the data collection process.

Typically, we're told that we need three seasons of data for defensive stats to show a dependable result. That means that even if you're working with one year, you need to give the number a fair amount of breathing room and tie it to a larger sample. When you're talking only 51 games, you have a scattered hodgepodge of numbers that could fall anywhere within the excellent to awful spectrum.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'm shocked his SLG is that low, is KC that much bigger of a park? I honestly don't know, haven't cared about park factors in years. It's still incredibly lame that he wasted his time playing winter ball instead of working in the weight room to become a better athlete.

His defensive line is pretty sweet, looks like Escobar is coming into his own there:

285 chances, 101 putouts, 181 assists, 3 errors, and 36 DPs in 52 games started.

It's too bad he's regressing to be the offensive player many around here feared he would become, because that's some pretty solid defense through 2 months.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Betancourt has been awful this year. That he has played so much only makes it worse.

He has a -0.3 WAR this year - on pace for a -0.9 WAR for the year. Out of 25 shortstops on Fangraphs, he's the 2nd worse - only Miquel Tejada is behind Yuni. The results are right in line with what you'd expect. He had a 0.8 WAR in 2010 and a -2.2 in 2009.

Out of the 25 qualifying shortstops, he's got the 4th worse batting average. 2nd worse OBP. 5th worse slugging percentage. 3rd worse OPS.

His fielding has been below average - not terrible - but not even average - at according to fangraphs. I can handle playing Gomez because he at least brings something to the game - his excellent defense. Yuni does nothing. Perhaps other defensive metrics show him to better, but I doubt it.

Betancourt is 29 - he's not going to get better in his 30s. He'll only get slower and less athletic.

Oh well, rant done. We can save the rest for why is Kotsay playing.

So, what will it take to rent Jose Reyes for 2-3 months and would it be worth it from our perspective? Im not sure what the Mets really need.

It would take outbidding the Reds, who have a vastly superior minor league system. They are being touted as the lead candidates to land Reyes at this time. I doubt we can outbid them, but maybe we should throw our hat in the ring just to get them to raise the price.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I still think Betancourt moves to 2B to hide his defense some next season, though obviously not for the Brewers. It is that or he moves to a utility infielder role, I just can't imagine a team giving him a full time job at SS.

So, what will it take to rent Jose Reyes for 2-3 months and would it be worth it from our perspective? Im not sure what the Mets really need.

It would take outbidding the Reds, who have a vastly superior minor league system. They are being touted as the lead candidates to land Reyes at this time. I doubt we can outbid them, but maybe we should throw our hat in the ring just to get them to raise the price.

Well we do have 2 first round picks coming up

Who is going to give Betancourt a 2B job with his bat? Keep in mind his "good" year last year was helped considerably by a HR/FB of 7.6% compared to a career rate of 4.5%.

Some team desperate for a veteran MI. He would be better at 2B than SS where his defense plays less of an impact role and in general 2B is even weaker than SS offensively.

Who is going to give Betancourt a 2B job with his bat? Keep in mind his "good" year last year was helped considerably by a HR/FB of 7.6% compared to a career rate of 4.5%.

Some team desperate for a veteran MI. He would be better at 2B than SS where his defense plays less of an impact role and in general 2B is even weaker than SS offensively.

Big league GM's do things quite often that really makes me shake my head in bewilderment, so anything is possible, but i just can't envision a team next year giving Betancourt a starting gig at either shortstop or secondbase. That said, i could see a team signing him to be a utility infielder given in short time frames he wouldn't kill that team defensively at the two middle infield spots, and in a pinch he likely should be able to play a few innings or a game at third.

"I think Yuni, [based] on what he did last year, deserves his chance to try to see if he can get back that offense"

Ignoring the fact last year was just a fluke (HR/FB% of 7.6 vs 4.4 for his career and 3.4 in 2008, 3.4 in 2009 and 3.5 this year) he still had an wOBA of only .300, so you know not good.

"I think Yuni, [based] on what he did last year, deserves his chance to try to see if he can get back that offense"
Hopefully he was just sticking up for one of his players.

I don't mind seeing Counsell getting the better end of a platoon. He still seems to be in pretty good shape and plays well in the field, so I imagine he can handle it physically. Again, Counsell won't be a world beater, but he will almost certainly play above replacement level, while Yuni most likely will not.

Counsell with the "Craig Counsell Cycle" tonight. 1B, 2B, 3B, BB.

Archived