Brewer Fanatic

Yuniesky Betancourt: What value does he bring to the team? (part 2)

Oxy
  • Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
That one routine grounder he missed yesterday reminded me of something out of the Bad News Bears. How any manager can keep playing a guy who botches routine plays has to be questioned. And the GM has to be questioned for allowing it to continue.

Still not as bad as the play he tried to make against the Twins. About a 3 hopper 2 steps to his right, and he made a falling down/lunging grab for a ball that any other SS is able to just slide step over and field.

This guy is an utter disaster in the field. Absolute mess.

His value is about as close to zero as it can be. Still dumbfounded that a Seattle scout seen him in Cuba and wanted him, but more dumbfounded that the Mariners actually got two minor league players from the Royals for him.

He just has no range and can't get in front of any ball that is not hit directly to him. And he has about the ugliest swing I have ever seen. Never balanced.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I wish Yuniesky just brought 'nothing' to the team. He's currently at -0.7 WAR. Josh Wilson is probably replacement caliber, same with Counsell, so if Betancourt simply stopped showing up to the ball park we would be better.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

According to Fangraphs

6th worst in WAR (wins above replacement)
5th worst in fielding (worst short stop)
4th worst in wOBA
3rd worst in OBP
9th worst in OPS
7th worst in O-swing% (swinging at balls outside of the strike zone)

in all of baseball

Relative to his peers, short stops that play most of the time,
he combines the worst fielding skills
...with the 2nd worst offensive skills (per wOBA, also he is in second by all of .001)
...and the 5th worst speed rating.

He actually does rank decent in base running, but I don't see how since he has 2 steals and was caught stealing 2 times.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Still dumbfounded that a Seattle scout seen him in Cuba and wanted him, but more dumbfounded that the Mariners actually got two minor league players from the Royals for him.
In Yuni's first three years, he contributed 3.6 WAR for the Mariners, who signed him to a $3.8 million, 4 year deal from Cuba. It was the extension that was laughable, and then one of the worst trades ever made to send him to KC.

It's time for the Counsell/Wilson soft platoon. Those guys will at worst be slightly below replacement level together; Yuni is a replacement level player at his best.

Another reason Betancourt is so terrible:

On average, a pitcher needs nearly twice as many pitches to retire Jose Bautista as he does to retire Yuniesky Betancourt. That sounds about right, doesn't it?

(fixed formatting --1992)

The pop-up in the 1st with the bases loaded.

The 9th inning approach

and oh yeah my favorite of the year the double play bunt last night when for some reason Yuni couldn't get out the box.

If my patience is gone, how can the Brewers still have any. With that being said I'm not sure playing Counsell is a better idea. He looks finished to me.

Lowest WAR for Brewer non-catchers all-time.

Player WAR/pos Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS
Tim Johnson -2.0 1973 23 MIL AL 136 510 465 39 99 10 2 0 32 29 93 6 3 .213 .259 .243 .502
Sean Berry -2.6 1999 33 MIL NL 106 281 259 26 59 11 1 2 23 17 50 0 0 .228 .281 .301 .582
Wes Helms -2.7 2004 28 MIL NL 92 306 274 24 72 13 1 4 28 24 60 0 1 .263 .331 .361 .692
Ted Simmons -2.9 1984 34 MIL AL 132 532 497 44 110 23 2 4 52 30 40 3 0 .221 .269 .300 .569
Von Joshua -3.2 1977 29 MIL AL 144 566 536 58 140 25 7 9 49 21 74 12 9 .261 .286 .384 .671

I honestly believe him to be the worst non-catcher to play every day for the Brewers in my lifetime.
That's actually an interesting thought. Chad Moeller came to mind first, but he only got 350 PA's in 2004. Ronnie Belliard was another thought for his 2002 season, but he only got ~300 PA's that year and was productive the two seasons prior.

I honestly believe him to be the worst non-catcher to play every day for the Brewers in my lifetime.

Sean Berry might be the only real competition. Maybe Marques Grissom in his Operation Shutdown year of 2000.

I take it that you missed the 'Rick Manning era'. Pedro Garcia, Randy Ready, and Jimmy Wohlford say 'hi' as well. Lest we forget Franklin Stubbs.

I was around for Stubbs. I was born in '84, so those early 90's teams were the first ones I really remember.
I remember catching the Stubbs signing on CNN Headline News at the :19 mark (anyone remember that?). I remember saying, (I believe) '$8 million for Franklin Stubbs?' Back in those days before the Internet and multi-ESPN's with their crawls, that was one of the only ways to scratch my hot stove itch during the winter meetings. I believe that was the winter that Kirk Gibson spurned the Brewers to sign with the Royals. I was extremely disappointed, and getting Stubbs as the consolation prize made it even worse.. then they traded Dave Parker for Dante Bichette in spring training, and I really wigged out.... at least they re-signed Teddy Higuera, I was happy for that because I thought for sure that the Padres would swipe him http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Fangraphs weighs in on options for SS & the giant sucking sound that is Yuni...

http://www.fangraphs.com/...rewer-shortstop-problem/

This is an interesting read. The author seems to come to the same conclusion as most of us. Furcal is the best and most realistic target for the Brewers to upgrade SS. I remain curious about the JJ situation though. If the Orioles do not complete the long term deal with him prior to July 31, what will they do with him? I would be hard pressed if I were them to not at least explore the trade market, because honestly, the O's aren't going anywhere in the next year or two, so why put a significant contract on the books?

Archived