Brewer Fanatic

Yuniesky Betancourt: What value does he bring to the team? (part 2)

Oxy
Yeah, I agree with dumping one. I'd get rid of Wilson, because at least Yuni offers some power off the bench. I know he hasn't shown it a lot, but he has more power than Wilson. If we bring in a new SS to play everyday, and already have Counsell on the bench, then we don't need Wilson also. Would rather have Yuni in that instance. Although I wouldn't mind dumping both of them.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What power does Yuni offer? 2010's power was a fluke, his ISO is going to be about what it is right now, .110 (it was .113 in 2008 and .106 in 2009). Wilson will give you an ISO of about .100 with actual play that isn't embarrassing at short stop. Neither are good players but the sooner the Brewers cut ties with Betancourt the sooner things are better.

I know he hit one out last night but I just can't take it anymore. There is no way we go anywhere with this guy. I actually throw up in my mouth a little bit when he comes to the plate. Now its happening at the mere mention of his name. Those half lunging swings resulting in pop ups are too much. I'm sure Melvin is trying to come up with a solution but the pickings may be slim and we don't have many bullets left to shoot as far as trades go.

At this point, I'd be happy to get Omar Vizquel from the Sox and platoon him and Counsell. Does this sound like a realistic scenario or is the bile in my stomach clouding my view of reality?

Does anyone think that the Dodgers would just salary dump Furcal? Maybe Yuni and his 2M buyout to the Dodgers for either him or Carroll. McCourt might just go for that if Bud and his "boys" let him.

Anyone else out there worth chasing? I don't see JJ coming back.

Is it just me or has Betancourt looked even worse lately? Some of the ABs he has had against the Yankees have been truly pathetic. I've never seen an MLB player with a more off balance swing than he has. That swing, combined with his horrible approach at the plate, makes seeing him like watching a one man car crash in the batter's box.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

That swing, combined with his horrible approach at the plate, makes seeing him like watching a one man car crash in the batter's box.
I disagree. As wrong as it may be, I enjoy watching a good car crash now and then.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Betancourt’s defensive deficiencies are truly awe-inspiring. Of 21
qualifying shortstops since ‘08, Betancourt ranks last in Ultimate Zone
Rating, at -41.8. The second worst qualifier, Jason Bartlett, is at -16.9. His Total Zone, Relative Zone, and Range Factor are also exponentially worse than anybody else’s.

As a hitter, he is equally atrocious. 148 players have gotten at
least 1600 plate appearances over the last four seasons. Of those 148,
Betancourt ranks dead last in OBP, BB, BB%, wRAA, wOBA, RE24, and WAR.
He ranks second to last in OPS, wRC, wRC+, and WPA

So he ranks last or dead to last in EVERYTHING. That's downright mind boggling. I'm also staggered (but somehow, not surprised) that he's almost 3 times as bad as the next worst defensive shortstop.

When will this joke stop?

Betancourt’s defensive deficiencies are truly awe-inspiring. Of 21

qualifying shortstops since ‘08, Betancourt ranks last in Ultimate Zone

Rating, at -41.8. The second worst qualifier, Jason Bartlett, is at -16.9. His Total Zone, Relative Zone, and Range Factor are also exponentially worse than anybody else’s.

As a hitter, he is equally atrocious. 148 players have gotten at

least 1600 plate appearances over the last four seasons. Of those 148,

Betancourt ranks dead last in OBP, BB, BB%, wRAA, wOBA, RE24, and WAR.

He ranks second to last in OPS, wRC, wRC+, and WPA

So he ranks last or dead to last in EVERYTHING. That's downright mind boggling. I'm also staggered (but somehow, not surprised) that he's almost 3 times as bad as the next worst defensive shortstop.

When will this joke stop?

You gotta wonder what Melvin and Roenicke are thinking. Play Wilson & Council in a platoon and just get rid of him.

He's better than the other regular on that side of the infield.

Sadly that isn't even true, he has been every bit as bad as McGehee.

And sadly both Melvin and Roenicke seem content to just keep trotting Yuni and Casey out there everyday, regardless of how poorly they both continue playing. Absolutely brutal offense and defense from both of them on a nearly nightly basis, yet come the next day/night, there they are in the lineup as if we are just playing out the string of a bad season instead of being in a close playoff race.

How worse can each guy possibly play both offensively and defensively over a long stretch of games before Doug and/or Roenicke at least tries someone else?

Betancourt hasn't walked a single time this month and McGehee is sporting an almost hard to fathom .422 OPS for June, to go along with his statue like defense and Molina like speed on the bases in the rare instances he actually manages to not make an out.

I think over the Break they will decide upon a strategy for what to do with Betancourt and McGehee. It could be as simple as playing Wilson at ss most days and sending Casey to Nashville for 20 days to "work on his swing"....

I think over the Break they will decide upon a strategy for what to do with Betancourt and McGehee. It could be as simple as playing Wilson at ss most days and sending Casey to Nashville for 20 days to "work on his swing"....
Unfortunately that might not be enough in a playoff race. They really need to trade for a SS upgrade if possible

Unfortunately that might not be enough in a playoff race. They really need to trade for a SS upgrade if possible

I agree they need to trade for a SS, as they don't have anyone in the system to fill that role. What's frustrating is that they have numerous players tearing up AAA who could help the team. Green should be a no-brainer, whether it's to take over 3B or as part of a platoon with McGehee. Boggs and Carroll are both far better options than Kotsay. Instead, we sit with three bad SS on the MLB roster and Kotsay, who doesn't seem to be able to fill the role as "LH bat off the bench." Our bench was upgraded when we brought up Kottaras for Nieves, but it still has to rank as one of the worst ever assembled.

Simply replacing Kotsay with Boggs and swapping Green for Wilson would make us a much better team without need of a trade. Then we can focus on finding a SS via trade. Until then, a Yuni / Counsell "soft platoon" would be better than everyday Yuni.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

My jaw dropped when he couldn't get to that ground ball in the 10th inning. His plate appearances of late have been expectedly abysmal.

It's gotten to the point now where allowing a guy this bad to bring down a very good team has to be in consideration for the worst thing Melvin has done as GM of the Brewers.

My jaw dropped when he couldn't get to that ground ball in the 10th inning. His plate appearances of late have been expectedly abysmal.

It's gotten to the point now where allowing a guy this bad to bring down a very good team has to be in consideration for the worst thing Melvin has done as GM of the Brewers.

Obviously you can't ever judge a GM over just one move, but it's hard for me to not seriously question the judgment of any GM who would choose to make Yuni his everyday shortstop in the same year that he gave up his top 5 prospects in hopes of getting a playoff berth, even with all the data out there about just how terrible Yuni is.

I really can't remember the last time i despised a Brewers player more than Betancourt.

Archived