Brewer Fanatic

Yuniesky Betancourt: What value does he bring to the team? (part 2)

Oxy
Verified Member

BUMP. Wow. Rickie helped out a bit with the bare hand on the DP, but that was a heck of a play by Betancourt too.

No matter what the WAR stats say, Yuni's defense may have won two games for the Brewers this year (Philly, and that DP there if the Crew can hold on)

-----

Continued from:

viewtopic.php?p=676307#p676307

Original Lead:

viewtopic.php?t=24574

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was the best double play I've ever seen live. Unreal. I think Yuni will get some people off of his back for a bit now... myself included.
Yeah, me too. I thought to myself..."Did I just see what I thought I saw??" We sit right in front of the press box. I had to look back at the replay, because it just seemed impossible.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Keep in mind that when ESPN picked the Brewers' top three Web Gems a few years ago, one of them belonged to Brady Clark. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It was a great play, no doubt. Very nifty glove-work. I don't think that really indicates anything about his range overall as a defender unfortunately.

And he currently has a .258 OBP. That's brutal.

Bada-Bingo. Exactly

Yuni B is certainly capable of making occasional great plays. The range isn't there nor is any consistency, and with that OBP he really should be Gold Glove caliber

I apologize for my earlier statement. Why can't we all just agree to let this thread die at least until the All-Star break? There is no meaningful discussion left on this topic. There hasn't been for a month. A play here or there isn't going to change the opinion of one side or another. I think discussion of this play would be better in the "The Brewers 2011 non-vent thread." Bringing up one good or bad play isn't going to change the mind of the other side. It is just rubbing their face in it. We all have our opinion and Betancourt is what he is. Whenever I see this thread I just think, "Why won't you die?"(in reference to the thread, not any poster or Betancourt)

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Yuni has exceeded expectations defensively, while underwhelmed offensively. At this point, it would make sense for us to try to make a point of letting Counsell play 3 times per week, twice at SS and once at 3b. Getting him some regular at bats might help his overall performance. Plus, it would give us a contact hitter at SS occasionally

I agree that Counsell should play more than he is now. Roenicke can't expect him to stay effective with how little he is playing right now. Betancourt is a liability offensively, and while he has exceeded expectations defensively, he's still not great. And McGehee has been horrible defensively, but he has started to draw walks, which is a sign that he's starting to get going at the plate. Either way, I'd give Counsell more starts than he is getting now just to keep him sharp. We'll need him off the bench if we expect to compete.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Whenever I see this thread I just think, "Why won't you die?"

http://www.comicsbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/twofaceforever1.jpg

No need to apologize for your comment earlier. I just thought it was a funny Yogi-ism.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

TooLiveBrew[/b]]Whenever I see this thread I just think, "Why won't you die?"

No need to apologize for your comment earlier. I just thought it was a funny Yogi-ism.

I knew that was from a movie. I just couldn't remember which one. I was apologizing for the deleted portion. I smacked my head when I realized the rest of the comment was Yogi like.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Then why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?!? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I knew this thread would get a bump after last night's play. No matter what you think of YB, it was a sweet play.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Then why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?!? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I knew this thread would get a bump after last night's play. No matter what you think of YB, it was a sweet play.

It was. Number 1 on Sportcenter's Top 10 this morning, and absolutely deservedly so.

It's funny though, even on that play, watching the replay and watching Yuni go up the middle I'm thinking "come ON dude, get on your horse and get to that ball!"

He reminds me of Jenkins in left field back in the day. Jenkins would make a spectacular diving catch, and everyone would be "OMG! Did you see that CATCH?!?!" and in reality, it's a ball that 75% of guys who play the position catch on the run without having to dive, because they just have a better jump and better wheels.

I digress, I'm not taking away from Yuni on this particular play. It WAS an absolutely fantastic play.

Yuni B is certainly capable of making occasional great plays.
So is everybody, including Ryan Braun, Corey Hart, and as I mentioned, Brady Clark. Heck, you could likely even find some plays by Carlos Lee that would be worthy of inclusion in a highlight reel.

I think everyone realizes that an individual play is the ultimate small sample, though.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It was. Number 1 on Sportcenter's Top 10 this morning, and absolutely deservedly so.

It's funny though, even on that play, watching the replay and watching Yuni go up the middle I'm thinking "come ON dude, get on your horse and get to that ball!"

He reminds me of Jenkins in left field back in the day. Jenkins would make a spectacular diving catch, and everyone would be "OMG! Did you see that CATCH?!?!" and in reality, it's a ball that 75% of guys who play the position catch on the run without having to dive, because they just have a better jump and better wheels.

I digress, I'm not taking away from Yuni on this particular play. It WAS an absolutely fantastic play.

Still losing to Philips play by 600+ votes.

I blame Wang.

This reminds me of a double play I saw 4 years ago when Ronnie Belliard of the Nats snared a grounder between 1st and 2nd, did a 360 spin and flipped the ball from his glove to Felipe Lopez at 2nd for one, to 1B for two. Just a total surprise and delight to see.

Great play by Yuni and Rickie.

From the AP story: “His hands are fantastic,” Greinke said of Betancourt. “It definitely wasn’t surprising to see that play.”

Verified Member
joepepsi wrote:

From the AP story: “His hands are fantastic,” Greinke said of Betancourt. “It definitely wasn’t surprising to see that play.”

That was the greatest amount of tact I've ever heard Greinke use in an interview. I could just see the gears grinding in his head after the reporter asked him about Yuni's defense. It took A LOT for him not to blurt out the truth about Yuni's lack of range, instead focusing on what great hands he his (which is true). Commendable, yet not quite as entertaining as the truth. Sigh.

It was a very nice play, there are SS in the league that make that look easy though, it was a very slowly hit ball and a guy like Tulo makes that look routine. But if he keeps making plays like that it will hide the range issues enough to keep his defense close to average at least. I have a pretty big issue with the announcers saying it is the play of the year in all of baseball though, not sure it would make my top 10 list but that play by Jack Wilson a month back is an easy no brainer better player, there isn't even an argument about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSmUesc8RNc

The combination of footwork and arm strength makes that a play that very few 2B make, the Betancourt play is still one that a good number of SS make, they just aren't quite as flashy about it.

Archived