Brewer Fanatic

The trade value of Prince Fielder (part 2)

I'd normally agree with you on your points RockCoCougars, but you're way off. While you trumpet keeping proven commodities over hot shot prospects, you bring up the names Casey McGehee and Mat Gamel? Come on. McGehee is a nice, decent player. But to not make a move because you have McGehee is what's asinine. I don't even know where to start with Gamel.

You claim that Beckham is highly overrated around here. I don't think so. I think you're missing the point on how good he is supposed to be, and save a couple months this year, has pretty much been so far at his young age. Why does acquiring Beckham mean he replaces Rickie Weeks? That's small minded.

Cheaper is not better, you're right, but why then are you putting Beckham in the same class as Gamel and McGehee as far as value goes. If McGehee has the same value as Beckham (hint, he's not even close) then why wouldn't they just pawn off McGehee and Fielder for the pitching they need, and keep Hart along with Weeks? McGehee is basically a throw in if you trade him, and I'm not saying they should trade him. He could be a nice decent player like I said. But again, not making a move for someone like Beckham because McGehee is currently on the team? Silly.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not interested in building a team full of young guys that are highly touted by the pundits. They would be cheaper, but what does that accomplish other than let Mark A. cut payroll and/or sign another overpriced overaged starting pitcher? As I've said, I'd rather 'rebuild' the front office and the manager before I start a rebuilding process with the players. I have no problem trading Fielder, but only for major league ready pitching, and that's not going to happen until the offseason.
Yeah, we don't need a young, talented roster that we have control over for several years. I vote for more of the same! Just say no to the youth infusion. We need more crusty old vets!

Yes I do advocate extending Weeks to a big money contract....if you call a 4-5 year extension at somewhere around $9-$10 million per 'big money' (though the price keeps going up). I'll take the proven, homegrown commodity over some hotshot prospect every day. Beckham may be highly touted and cheap by comparison, but Weeks is by far the superior player at this point, and it's not even close.

Wow. What is it about Weeks' career .252 AVG, .780 OPS and shoddy defense that makes you say that? Beckham is having a bad (half) year to be sure, but it is seems pretty similar to the year Weeks had in '05...and '07...and '08. Weeks is having a great year, and it is easily the exception. I would love for the 2010 version to be the real Rickie Weeks, but I'm not sure why anyone would be convinced that is the case.

This team is desperate for pitching, and tying $10/year up on a terribly inconsistent 2b, when you could theoretically get a comparable (or better), younger player for half as much or less, doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, I don't see how people justify these huge extension ideas for Weeks. He's finally having a good and injury free season, but how can we confidently assume he'll keep it up? And people want to give him $40-50 million? Just seems really short sighted.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Rockies are looking for a righthanded hitting infielder. How about this, as part of a 3 way with the Brewers and Sox, the Rox get Beckham and Riske for Jhoulis Chacin and Franklyn Morales.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Yes I do advocate extending Weeks to a big money contract....if you call a 4-5 year extension at somewhere around $9-$10 million per 'big money' (though the price keeps going up). I'll take the proven, homegrown commodity over some hotshot prospect every day. Beckham may be highly touted and cheap by comparison, but Weeks is by far the superior player at this point, and it's not even close.

Wow. What is it about Weeks' career .252 AVG, .780 OPS and shoddy defense that makes you say that? Beckham is having a bad (half) year to be sure, but it is seems pretty similar to the year Weeks had in '05...and '07...and '08. Weeks is having a great year, and it is easily the exception. I would love for the 2010 version to be the real Rickie Weeks, but I'm not sure why anyone would be convinced that is the case.

This team is desperate for pitching, and tying $10/year up on a terribly inconsistent 2b, when you could theoretically get a comparable (or better), younger player for half as much or less, doesn't make any sense.

Rickie wasn't too bad last year either before the injury It appears that he's finally living up to the potential, has turned the corner as a player and is hitting his prime. He's been the best leadoff hitter in baseball this year. Why would I want to wait on a younger guy to go through all of the growing pains that Weeks did and Beckham is now? I can see it now, Beckham would be up and down for the next three years, and then everyone would be clamoring to trade him before he gets expensive.

Maybe I'm a cynic on young prospects, but I was around for the mid to late 80's. Year after year, the Brewers were voted the best organization by Baseball America, etc., with only a handful of decent players and no playoff appearances to show for it, with bust after bust lining the way.

Why would I want to wait on a younger guy to go through all of the growing pains that Weeks did and Beckham is now? I can see it now, Beckham would be up and down for the next three years, and then everyone would be clamoring to trade him before he gets expensive.
Coupled with Weeks own inconsistency, I can think of about 30 Million reasons, and the pitches those 30 Million reasons could buy.

Weeks had some growing pains sure, but before this year he's averaged 95 games and 350 at bats per season. Injuries. If you are saying Beckham is destined to miss 40% of his games over the next 4 years or so, then sure, who would want him? But of course that's a tad absurd.

Why would I want to wait on a younger guy to go through all of the growing pains that Weeks did and Beckham is now? I can see it now, Beckham would be up and down for the next three years, and then everyone would be clamoring to trade him before he gets expensive.
Coupled with Weeks own inconsistency, I can think of about 30 Million reasons, and the pitches those 30 Million reasons could buy.
From who? I thought that the organization has a bunch of young cheap stud pitchers that will be ready to step in by 2012? Those guys would be cheap.

That said, I'm sure Melvin is salivating over Ted Lilly as we speak. That $30 million could possibly get you three years of him if you are lucky. This would allow Melvin to complete the 'Buy High on an Old Guy' starting pitcher trilogy.

That said, I'm sure Melvin is salivating over Ted Lilly as we speak. That $30 million could possibly get you three years of him if you are lucky. This would allow Melvin to complete the 'Buy High on an Old Guy' starting pitcher trilogy.

Well, using that logic, why bother to pay Weeks? Without upgrading the pitching, a decent hitting $10Million/year 2B will get you...pretty much what we have now. Your arguments aren't making any sense. We should pay Weeks a bunch of money so he can be marginally better than Beckham, and take money away from potential pitching upgrades. How does that make the team better in any way? BTw, is signing Ted Lilly, they only possible way to improve the pitching staff?

Brewers
In:
Jhoulis Chacin
Daniel Hudson
Franklin Morales
Dayan Viciedo
Jon Gilmore

Out:
Prince Fielder
Dave Bush
Casey McGehee
Dave Riske

White Sox
In:
Prince Fielder
Casey McGehee
Dave Bush

Out:
Gordon Beckham
Daniel Hudson
Dayan Viciedo
Jon Gilmore

Rockies
In:
Gordon Beckham
Dave Riske

Out:
Jhoulis Chacin
Franklin Morales

The Sox get the lefty slugger they covet in Fielder, and ease the losses of Beckham and Hudson by adding McGehee and Bush.

The Brewers get Chacin, a 22 year old with an ERA under 4 in 12 starts this year with more K's than IP, but is presently working out of the pen. The Rox get Riske to replace him in the pen. Morales has been a decent MLB starter in the past, has power stuff, and is still just 24. He folded under the pressure of closing this year, and is in AAA now. The Rox have been searching for a righthanded 2B-3B, and are always willing to rely on young talent, even in pennant chases, so Beckham fits them.

Chacin, Hudson, and Morales give Rick Peterson 3 great talents to work with immediately, and all are far enough along to give the Brewers potentially a very good 2011 rotation. Viciedo gives the Brewers options at 3B and 1B. Gilmore is a prospect I liked since pre-draft, and he's starting to unlock his potential.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

who plays third if that deal is made? why do we need 3 pitchers? what happens with parra and narveson, i would take hudson and chacin over them any day but would colorado want either of them. maybe add parra to chicago for jordan danks or brent morel. i'd take morel over gilmore and he's at least almost mlb ready. as the days go by i'm thinking more and more that a fielder trade isnt going to happen, same for hart which really gets me mad at our crappy gm.

who plays third if that deal is made? why do we need 3 pitchers? what happens with parra and narveson, i would take hudson and chacin over them any day but would colorado want either of them. maybe add parra to chicago for jordan danks or brent morel. i'd take morel over gilmore and he's at least almost mlb ready. as the days go by i'm thinking more and more that a fielder trade isnt going to happen, same for hart which really gets me mad at our crappy gm.
Who cares what happens to Parra and Narveson. I don't. I'd be fine with Gamel at 3b also.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

who plays third if that deal is made?

Viciedo or Gamel.

why do we need 3 pitchers?

Because I couldn't figure out a way to get 4.

what happens with parra and narveson,

Parra continues to start for the time being, because Morales isn't stretched out yet. Narveson is sent to the pen, or released. Though he seems intriguing, he's neither young nor effective.

but would colorado want either of them

Maybe, but Colorado probably has better options, like Esmil Rogers and Christian Friedrich.

i'd take morel over gilmore and he's at least almost mlb ready.

I can agree with that, I just thought Chicago might want to hold on to him, and I think Gilmore has more long term potential. We don't have any 3Bs with potential in rookie, A, or A+.

Tim Kurkjian was on Baseball Tonight last night and said that the Tigers and White Sox are interested in Prince and that there is a 3rd mystery team interested as well. Wonder who the mystery team is?
i dont really see why the tigers would be in on fielder, they need a 3b. unless they just plan on prince being a dh. maybe they are just bluffing to drive the price for prince up on the white sox. tigers would probably put together a decient package if they started with porcello.

Ordonez's contract is up after this year and my guess is the Tigers would love for Fielder to play for them. If they think that he might be going to the Sox meaning they would have no shot at him this offseason they might make a move for him now to keep him from the Sox and to have him going forward.

Archived