Brewer Fanatic

The trade value of Prince Fielder (part 2)

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We do need pitching but young good pitching is so valuable our best return might be a good young hitter. It isn't like our minor league system is stocked with bats. We have Lawrie, Gamel and Cain then a bunch of guys who are probably at least 2 years away. There is a good chance none of those three are impact bats.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I know I am probably in the minority, but I'd do a a Beckham, Hudson deal and be pretty happy about it.

I agree with you. Of course, I'd prefer to get 3-4 of their Top 10, major league/major league ready prospects, but I try to spend the majority of my time in the real world, and I just don't see it happening.

apparently kenny williams told the players in the white sox clubhouse the other day that is wasnt going to be trading anyone currently on the roster. he said he wasnt going to sell off anyone who helped them get to where they are. i guess we'll see how much he sticks to that in the next 9 days.

If the Brewers were to make a deal like this, looking at Hudson in particular, the Brewers will obviously have some big time money available next year (Prince, Suppan, Hall, Hoffman), so the question for me relative to the Prince trade becomes, is there enough FA starting pitching available to sign to construct a competitive rotation (you will probably have to sign a corner IFer or OFer as well)? Gallardo, FA Pitcher, Hudson, FA pitcher, Wolf/Parra/Narveson. If the answer is no, then I guess the question becomes when are you building for. If you are confident you can pencil Hudson into the middle of the rotation, and you are confident you can sign someone for the top, then I would say you are probably looking pretty good.

The Brewers should add Casey McGehee to the package. He's less valuable than Beckham because he's maxxed out and Beckham has considerable upside, but he is a similar player present day. The Sox wouldn't hurt their present team, and the Brewers could deal Beckham for the arm they want.

The Brewers could also add Dave Riske to make it easier for the Sox to give up Sergio Santos.

Fielder, Bush, McGehee, Riske, and cash

for

Beckham, Hudson, Viciedo, Santos, Morel, Kyle Bellamy, Jon Gilmore

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The more I think about this, the more skeptical I become. How could the Sox even trade Beckham. They don't have a whole lot of options for 2B, so it would obviously require another move or a third team. Certainly Crag Counsell isn't going to play 2B every day for the White Sox.

Jon Heyman on Jim Rome said Angels and White Sox are talking. Mentioned Flowers and "maybe" Hudson. Said he didn't expect the Brewers to move Prince and thinks they want to make one last run with this core.

The more I think about this, the more skeptical I become. How could the Sox even trade Beckham. They don't have a whole lot of options for 2B, so it would obviously require another move or a third team. Certainly Crag Counsell isn't going to play 2B every day for the White Sox.
i'm sure visquel would play second and teahen will be coming back from injury very soon and counsell could fill in at third until then. unless the crew includes mcgehee.

With AJ a FA after this year, no way are the Sox moving Flowers. I don't know what they all have coming off the books, but I suspect much of it would be eaten up by the raise Prince will get next year.

Said he didn't expect the Brewers to move Prince and thinks they want to make one last run with this core.
Make a run with what pitching?
I think this is completely based on his opinion. I don't see when this last run would take place. Next year? Because I don't see us keeping Fielder past this off-season.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Wow, I think that Beckham is extremely overrated here.
Baseball America had Beckham ranked as the White Sox top prospect before the 2009 season. He didn't disappoint and put up a .808 ops last season. He's very deserving of the hype he's gotten around here.

It would be silly for Doug to be focused completely on pitching and pass up on a talent like Beckham.

It would be silly for Doug to be focused completely on pitching and pass up on a talent like Beckham.

Correct. Especially since a talent like Beckham can also be turned into pitching.

Baseball America had Beckham ranked as the White Sox top prospect before the 2009 season. He didn't disappoint and put up a .808 ops last season. He's very deserving of the hype he's gotten around here.

I've taken Baseball America with a grain of salt since 1986, when I'm pretty sure that they had Glenn Braggs as the top minor league prospect in all of baseball. I think that they compared him to Reggie Jackson. I would guess that the 'success rate' of their Top 50 prospects is lower than Beckham's current batting average- which is quite low (even including his 'awesome' July). If Beckham develops pinpoint control and a 96 mph fastball, let me know, otherwise I pass.

Gallardo, FA Pitcher, Hudson, FA pitcher, Wolf/Parra/Narveson. If the answer is no, then I guess the question becomes when are you building for. If you are confident you can pencil Hudson into the middle of the rotation, and you are confident you can sign someone for the top, then I would say you are probably looking pretty good.
The Brewers wouldn't have to sign two FA pitchers Wolf would be fine as the #3 or #4 pitcher in the rotation. The Brewers would only have to sign Vazquez in that scenario. So it would be Gallardo, Vazquez, Wolf, Hudson, Parra/Narveson/Butler/Rivas/Rogers. If the Brewers could get Vazquez on a 2 or 3 year deal that would be fine.

I would guess that the 'success rate' of their Top 50 prospects is lower than Beckham's current batting average- which is quite low (even including his 'awesome' July). If Beckham develops pinpoint control and a 96 mph fastball, let me know, otherwise I pass.
This from a guy who advocates signing Rickie Weeks to a big money contract extension. Looking at both players first 180 games or so, their numbers are nearly identical, except for fielding of course, where Weeks' are much worse. I like Weeks fine, but if I can get Beckham for more years and less money, sign me up.

I would guess that the 'success rate' of their Top 50 prospects is lower than Beckham's current batting average- which is quite low (even including his 'awesome' July). If Beckham develops pinpoint control and a 96 mph fastball, let me know, otherwise I pass.
This from a guy who advocates signing Rickie Weeks to a big money contract extension. Looking at both players first 180 games or so, their numbers are nearly identical, except for fielding of course, where Weeks' are much worse. I like Weeks fine, but if I can get Beckham for more years and less money, sign me up.

Also, at the point Beckham is at in his career Weeks was only 6 weeks into his big league career. Weeks spent his 1st full season in AA, and then went to the majors the next year after 7 weeks in AAA, where as Beckham was in the majors 6 weeks into his 1st full season.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

If Beckham develops pinpoint control and a 96 mph fastball, let me know, otherwise I pass.

Sounds like you'd want Michael Pineda, who we could acquire for Gordon Beckham.

I think Santos, Hudson, Viciedo and Beckham for Prince and some parts(Counsell, Coffey...) could get this done.
Were you a Cub fan in a former life? I love Prince as much as the next guy, but there's no way the Brewers get all of that in return. If he did a 10-year contract extension would probably be in order.

Now that was not necessary. Cubs fan, that is just cruel. I don't hold these Sox players in too high regard, to be honest. Don't forget that they get Prince for 2 pennant races. Also, we are giving them other players. You must be a sox fan to believe than anyone other than Beckham has any real value here, and he is obviously not a can't miss either.

Wow, I think that Beckham is extremely overrated here. As the past two games have demonstrated, you HAVE to get pitching for Prince. The only way that I trade Prince for Beckham is if the Sox would be willing to take Wolf as well.

The only reason we're even able to talk about Beckham is precisely because of his bad year. It's a great bargaining tool for Melvin. If he would of improved off of last year he would be one of the most untouchable players in the game, and the Sox probably wouldn't even be looking to make a trade.

The Brewers should add Casey McGehee to the package. He's less valuable than Beckham because he's maxxed out and Beckham has considerable upside, but he is a similar player present day.

I was thinking the same thing after suggesting dangling Lawrie and being told that was too much. McGehee would be a nice piece for them.

By far the most vexing part of these Fielder trade rumors is in reading all these idiots from other boards calling Fielder fat and a tub of lard. Fielder is a ___ brickhouse, a football player body that happens to have an amazing uppercut swing. As someone that has seen Hudson pitch twice live while he was pitching triple A where I live in Charlotte, I hope Hudson is not a centerpiece to any deal. He is not a difference maker.
I'm amazed that you made that determination off of watching him pitch twice... very impressive.

Yes I do advocate extending Weeks to a big money contract....if you call a 4-5 year extension at somewhere around $9-$10 million per 'big money' (though the price keeps going up). I'll take the proven, homegrown commodity over some hotshot prospect every day. Beckham may be highly touted and cheap by comparison, but Weeks is by far the superior player at this point, and it's not even close. Beckham may well turn into the next Ryne Sandberg, but that's a very long shot. No matter what the 'experts' say, at this point, odds are that Weeks will have a better career in the end. Acquiring Beckham would likely result in letting at least one of Weeks, Gamel, or McGehee go cheaply, and I think that's asinine.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not interested in building a team full of young guys that are highly touted by the pundits. They would be cheaper, but what does that accomplish other than let Mark A. cut payroll and/or sign another overpriced overaged starting pitcher? As I've said, I'd rather 'rebuild' the front office and the manager before I start a rebuilding process with the players. I have no problem trading Fielder, but only for major league ready pitching, and that's not going to happen until the offseason.

Archived