Brewer Fanatic

The trade value of Prince Fielder (part 2)

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
paulmolitor4[/b]]A lot of people on here are WAY undervaluing Hudson also. He's a damn good pitcher. His minor league stats are VERY similar to Gallardo's. And the Brewers' front office saying Hudson is no more than a 3 is just gamesmanship.

Agreed. What more do people want in a young pitcher. The guy compares very favorably to Bumgarner who people have claimed to be a future ace. Is he Hellickson, no probably not but he deserves more credit than what he's getting.

paulmolitor4[/b]]A lot of people on here are WAY undervaluing Hudson also. He's a damn good pitcher. His minor league stats are VERY similar to Gallardo's. And the Brewers' front office saying Hudson is no more than a 3 is just gamesmanship.

Agreed. What more do people want in a young pitcher. The guy compares very favorably to Bumgarner who people have claimed to be a future ace. Is he Hellickson, no probably not but he deserves more credit than what he's getting.

I agree too, but does anyone actually think that anyone in our front office would come out and say that Hudson is a future 1-2 starter? All that does is lower the offer that the Sox would give us, or make them think that he's worth more than he is, and possibly even look elsewhere. We don't want that to happen, so we downplay his value. No big deal.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

The back and forth regarding Prince and Hart continues. Haudricourt now says that Fielder might not be dealt because the White Sox can satisfy the Brewers' steep demands, and don't want to deal Beckham. Olney claims multiple teams are interested in Hart:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/99014834.html?commentSubmitted=y&refresh=15745#comments

ESPN' Buster Olney writes in his blog this morning that the White Sox

are having a hard time satisfying the Brewers' demands for a Fielder

trade without including former first-rounder Gordon Beckham, which they

don't want to do. The Brewers are looking for power pitching in return

and Daniel Hudson doesn't really fit that bill.

The Brewers want a young, established starting pitcher in return for Hart. And if you've watched their games this week, you know why. The beatings this pitching staff has taken throughout the season have been ugly to watch. Without some major upgrades on the pitching front, this team won't be competitive next year, either, because there is no pitching in the system that will be ready for the start of 2011.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Olney gives us the reason that it makes sense to move both for pitching if possible. Position players seem a bit easier to find.

I think Weeks could be a corner outfielder if we can find a better defensive option at 2nd. It also seems like Lawrie might be ready...shortly.

One question though...will we be totally righthanded at the plate?

Here is an interesting perspective from the chicago sun times

"Here's the reality: If the Sox get one more big bat and continue to challenge Minnesota and Detroit and make it to the playoffs, the Sox will draw. With the Cubs in the tank, the Sox will control not only the crowds, but also the buzz, both of which are very important to the organization. With their deep pitching, the Sox have a chance to make some noise in the playoffs since they get there, even making some fantasize about 2005. And, if the Sox can repeat what happened in that year, the organization will become appreciably more profitable. Casting aside a future all-star and some high profile prospects and bringing aboard a rent a player is a small price for them to pay to return to the promised land.

So, if the Nats or Brewers are really serious, so is Kenny Williams "

The back and forth regarding Prince and Hart continues. Haudricourt now says that Fielder might not be dealt because the White Sox can satisfy the Brewers' steep demands, and don't want to deal Beckham.

Its too bad the Brewers don't have the kind of dynamic GM that is capable of pulling off a 3 team deal. If the Brewers could get Hudson, Viciedo, and Jared Mitchell, and flip the latter 2 for a pitcher, we would be in business. Hopefully Kenny Williams will work that out on his own, because Melvin hasn't shown in his 8 years here that he's capable of even pursuing a 3 team deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

That's kind of how I look at it from the Sox perspective. If they land Fielder, they have a legitimate shot at the WS, and a guy like Beckham, if he is in fact the holdup, as much upside as he appears to have, can probably be pretty easily replaced. They are looking at significant roster turnover in the coming year or two, so the prospect of giving up one of your youngest, most talented players is obviously not attractive, but they appear to have a window, and I think they'd be foolish not to try to take advantage of it. Fielder's arrival would set that city (the south side anyway) on fire.

They speculate he could replace Dunn or Fielder at 1B and is under contract until 2012, that he was called up possibly to show case him more than to just spell Omar Vizquel at 3b.

Sounds like Beckham and Danks would not be considered, but maybe Hudson or Carlos Torres.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jon Heyman just tweeted the Angels are interested in Fielder too.

I want me some Mike Trout!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

By far the most vexing part of these Fielder trade rumors is in reading all these idiots from other boards calling Fielder fat and a tub of lard. Fielder is a ___ brickhouse, a football player body that happens to have an amazing uppercut swing. As someone that has seen Hudson pitch twice live while he was pitching triple A where I live in Charlotte, I hope Hudson is not a centerpiece to any deal. He is not a difference maker.

I'd pass on Torres and try and get Santos instead. Just took a look at the Sox minor league system and it is not very pretty. I think Santos, Hudson, Viciedo and Beckham for Prince and some parts(Counsell, Coffey...) could get this done. Give Jack Z. a call and see if he would take Beckham for Pineda and another arm. None of what the Sox have to offer is really that appealing, but I think getting Beckham is a must whether we want him long term or not.

If the Sox writers think that Viciedo should be the centerpiece of any deal with the Brewers just because it would give the Brewers salary relief and would plug our 1B hole after we traded Fielder, they obviously haven't watched the better part of the past two seasons of our stinky rotation. We need young ace-like top end of the rotation pitching that has to be the start of the talks. If the ChiSoxs don't have what Melvin wants with Hudson as their best offer and then adding Viciedo to the deal, if we accept this, the Brewers will be the same team they have been in 2009-2010 which is one of all offense- junk pitching! Not to mention, I am sure that our defense doesn't get any better by adding the "Cuban Sandwich" Viciedo to the left side of our infield. Again, this is not the type of move the Brewers need to make unless they are absolutely convinced this is the best it gets from now and through the winter.

Beckham and Hudson, I like much better, but again am concerned our pitching doesn't get a ton better yet.

No deal without Beckham, because he is a piece that can be moved again and is only thing that makes a Sox deal tolerable. I don't think the Angels are a good match either as they have almost nothing to offer for pitching. Assuming they will not move a current starter due to no depth in minors, you are looking at Reckling and Chatwood as their best pitching prospects, and Reckling was a disaster at AAA and Chatwood has not done well after a recent promotion. That leaves you with a bunch of OF prospects like Trout, Bourjos, and Moore, along with a stopgap of Trumbo possible at 1B. Not a good match, but as others have pointed out Melvin could get creative and get Seattle involved to get Pineda. Jack would love a Trout, Beckham, or maybe even Bourjos.

I think Santos, Hudson, Viciedo and Beckham for Prince and some parts(Counsell, Coffey...) could get this done.
Were you a Cub fan in a former life? I love Prince as much as the next guy, but there's no way the Brewers get all of that in return. If he did a 10-year contract extension would probably be in order.

yes Trout would be great but do they have any PITCHING?
Trevor Bell, Fabio Martinez, and Garrett Richards are probably their best prospects. None of these guys sets the world on fire though. Richards is doing ok in the Midwest league, and Bell has had a cup of coffee in the bigs with marginal results. He's been used as a reliever in the past as well. Martinez is a flame thrower, but projects as a reliever long term and is also currently in the Midwest league.

Archived