Brewer Fanatic

The trade value of Prince Fielder (part 2)

I think I'd go Hudson, Viciedo, Santos, and either Morel or Flowers if we can't do both Hudson and Beckham.

I think we should be able to expand a trade though to throw in a starter (Bush maybe) and an infielder (Counsell) to be able to get us Hudson, Beckham, and Viciedo. That'd be ideal.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Too much to give up?

Yes. Lawrie is the best prospect in that deal.

I'd have to agree. I think Prince for Hudson & Beckham would be a fair return. That leaves Lawrie & Counsell/Inglett for Viciedo, which doesn't seem like a very good return.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I understand Beckham had a good rookie season and is still considered a good prospect but this year he is only batting .237 with a .630 OPS. He also has 10 errors at 2b which is the 2nd highest total in the AL for 2b. I know it is just one season and I don't follow the White Sox too much so can anyone enlighten me on Beckham and what his potential looks to be. I was initially excited when I saw Melvin is going after him but my excitement was tempered a little when I saw his stats for this year. If Hudson is only projected to be a 3/4 starter by the Brewers, I would expect them to get as close to a sure thing as possible with a position player being added for Fielder.

I'd be surprised if Counsell were not included in any deal with the White Sox. They could use some help at 3B (particularly if Viciedo is included), he's a veteran bat, etc. Seems like an ideal fit to me.

I really hope Melvin has another deal in place for Beckham. Teams with excess young pitching, like Seattle and Colorado, and possibly Tampa, would love to get there hands on Beckham. I'd love to get my hands on Seattle AAA prospect Michael Pineda, Colorado's Jhoulis Chacin, or one of Tampa's pitchers. The 22 year Chacin was bumped from Colorado's rotation after 12 starts despite an ERA under 4 and more strikeouts than innings pitched.

Fielder and Bush for Hudson and Chacin would dramatically change Milwaukee's pitching, and put the team in position to use its available money for free agency in a much more historically effective method.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I really hope Melvin has another deal in place for Beckham.

What about combining Beckham and Hart in a deal to someone interested in Hart. Those two to SF for Bumgarner and a mid-level prospect? Or to TB for Davis & Moore?

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Pineda is a stud. Tough to pry him away from Jack Z.
Beckham is a stud too. He opened last season as a top 20 prospect, and finished it with an OPS over 800 in 103 MLB games.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Hudson, Beckham, Flowers and Viciedo for Prince would be a fair return. Anything less and forget it. Prince is the top hitter on the market right now. If you win a world series you can give up as many prospects as you want. It doesn't matter. You can trade Prince at the deadline next year for a similar package to someone else. In the end the team that gets him likely loses very little in the long run in prospects and potentially cashes in big time with a world series win or at the least playoff revenue and increased souvenir sales and concessions. Getting Beckham wouldn't concern me at all. He's an asset and will precipitate another trade that either involves him or another current Brewer.

July 20th- White Sox not in on Fielder- Ken Rosenthal.

July 21st- White Sox trying to accelerate talks on Fielder- Ken Rosenthal

July 22nd- White Sox trade for Lance Berkman- Ken Rosenthal

This guy gets paid to do this? Wow!

I think the White Sox were trying to play chicken with the Brewers by putting those reports out there.

I think when all is said and done, Prince will be a White Sox before the deadline. Williams likes to think outside the box and desparately wants to make a big deal. He will figure out a way to get Prince and I think in all likelihood this ends up being a 7 or 8 player blockbuster deal. I can see Prince, Parra and a minor leaguer going to Sox for Beckham, Dan Hudson, Dayan Viciedo and solid young minor league pitcher (A level) with potential for upside.

And if we do get Beckham, are we able to spin him off in another package deal with Hart for top level arms say Madison Baumgarner who is ready now and say Sosa who is maybe 2 years away?

Out: Prince, Hart, Parra, Beckham
In: Baumgarner, Sosa, Hudson, Viciedo, Single A level solid pitcher

Starting rotation next year: Gallardo, Wolf, Baumgarner, Hudson, #5 pitcher

Have Sosa (future starting pitcher with upside) and Viciedo (future firstbasemen) coming up maybe 2012. Along with Odorizzi and Heckathorn replacing Wolf and #5 pitcher, our starting pitching should be set for the next 4-7 years.

I understand Beckham had a good rookie season and is still considered a good prospect but this year he is only batting .237 with a .630 OPS. He also has 10 errors at 2b which is the 2nd highest total in the AL for 2b. I know it is just one season and I don't follow the White Sox too much so can anyone enlighten me on Beckham and what his potential looks to be. I was initially excited when I saw Melvin is going after him but my excitement was tempered a little when I saw his stats for this year. If Hudson is only projected to be a 3/4 starter by the Brewers, I would expect them to get as close to a sure thing as possible with a position player being added for Fielder.

Beckham also has a positive UZR/150 rating too, so while the errors aren't nice, overall his value on defense has been positive so far. I've linked to both of the following scouting reports, but have only copied & pasted the defensive notes in this post.

Arm Strength: His arm grades out as average to a tick above and plays fine from shortstop.
Fielding: He's a very natural defender, but he's fighting his size a bit at short and might profile better as a second baseman.
Range: He has above-average range.

Sorry for the poor formatting.

And here's another draft-day-ish scouting report, from Baseball-Intellect.com --

Defense
A major factor for whether a team will ultimately use a high draft choice on Beckham will be if the team thinks Beckham can stay at shortstop. Some feel Beckham will eventually have to move to second, but from various reports, Beckham possesses a strong arm and his instincts are reported to be excellent, making up for any lack of range he may have.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't think Hudson is the guy either but I think he can easily be a solid and reliable number 3. We need that badly too. We don't need to get the #1 pitcher in this deal necessarily if we gather enough top end assets that we can spin with Hart or Weeks for the #1 pitcher we need.

I understand Beckham had a good rookie season and is still considered a good prospect but this year he is only batting .237 with a .630 OPS. He also has 10 errors at 2b which is the 2nd highest total in the AL for 2b. I know it is just one season and I don't follow the White Sox too much so can anyone enlighten me on Beckham and what his potential looks to be.

Beckham did get off to a terrible start, and it lasted for 3 months and allmost got him a ticket to AAA. However, he tightened up his strike zone and has an OPS over 1.000 in July.

Longterm, I see him as one of the best hitting 2Bs in baseball. He also has terrific character and work ethic, and is considered a future team leader.

Assuming Beckham is even available, I think it would be fairly foolish to turn around and flip him. It would be much more realistic to deal Weeks at that point. Beckham will be young, good, and cheap for several years. Weeks will get more expensive and is a free agent after next season.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Assuming Beckham is even available, I think it would be fairly foolish to turn around and flip him. It would be much more realistic to deal Weeks at that point. Beckham will be young, good, and cheap for several years. Weeks will get more expensive and is a free agent after next season.

What if Beckham is dealt for a pitcher that is young, good, and cheap for several years? Then we can just replace Weeks with one of our stud minor league 2Bs after Rickie is gone.

I think we could get a better pitcher for Beckham than Weeks, though I do think we could get a nice pitcher for Weeks.

Hudson, Beckham, Flowers and Viciedo for Prince would be a fair return. Anything less and forget it. Prince is the top hitter on the market right now. If you win a world series you can give up as many prospects as you want. It doesn't matter. You can trade Prince at the deadline next year for a similar package to someone else. In the end the team that gets him likely loses very little in the long run in prospects and potentially cashes in big time with a world series win or at the least playoff revenue and increased souvenir sales and concessions. Getting Beckham wouldn't concern me at all. He's an asset and will precipitate another trade that either involves him or another current Brewer.
So now we are going to get the number 2,3 and 7th ranked prospect AND Beckham for a year and a half of Fielder? Unless Kenny Williams is stupid (Which actually it could be possible) I have a hard time buying this as well.

So now we are going to get the number 2,3 and 7th ranked prospect AND Beckham for a year and a half of Fielder?

Thats still inferior to the package Texas got for 1 1/2 years of Texeira, so it seems in the ballpark. However, I don't think Viciedo and Beckham will be in the same package, and Flowers has lost some luster this year.

Archived