Brewer Fanatic

The trade value of Prince Fielder (part 2)

But if they were seriously considering Fielder with Kinsler perfectly healthy, they could get even more interested with the injury to Kinsler regardless of position. Kinsler will be back in two weeks. They shouldn't just trade for Ty Wigginton because he can play 2B if they really want Fielder (which is a big if I know). My point is that if there really was a chance that Fielder could go to Texas, this injury to Kinsler might mean that there is even more of a chance. Let's not get too position oriented. If that was the thinking why would they call up a 230 pound 1B from AAA to replace Kinsler?

Now if they weren't all that serious about the big fish in Fielder and were going to settle with Cantu or Wigginton to begin with, that's another story.

maybe they're trading chris davis to get wigginton/cantu. moreland plays first, cantu plays second....kinsler comes back to 2nd in two weeks and cantu shifts to first. makes sense to me.

too bad, the rangers are a good match.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Out of leftfield, would Dunn and extras for Fielder make sense? We put Dunn at 1B and can realistically resign him, plus whatever extra we'd get?

if we dont resign dunn (which would be a pretty big if), thats a HORRIBLE trade, because then we dont have any 1B next year (and fewer prospects out of fielder). Even if he resigns, it might not be a good deal. Better off flipping fielder for more players and trying to sign dunn in the offseason instead of trading for him.

Cantu to the Rangers for a minor league reliever and a throw in..... They're probably content with Cantu moving to 1st when Kinsler comes back so that officially ends that. Also the are officially out of the Dunn sweepstakes according to Buster Olney.

Ken Rosenthal tweeted the following,

“#Marlins’ return for Cantu will be Double A RHP Evan Reed & Double A RHP Omar Poveda, who is on DL recovering from TJ surgery."

If true, then that would pretty much take out Fielder going to Texas, if any of the rumors were true to begin with.

Boston seems to me to be a location that makes sense for Prince....or Texas once the sale is over. Boston has to decide if they want to keep big Papi or go a different direction.

BOS isn't trading Casey Kelly or Clay Buchholz (they would've done that for A-Gonz who is much more valuable last year) and their next most attractive SP option is Junichi Tazawa who just went under the knife, so BOS isn't a fit.

Tazawa is not their next most attractive SP... he hasn't done anything at the pro level yet, and the fact that he's been a pro for about a year and has already had Tommy John Surgery worries me. Looking at guys not named Kelly or Buchholz, we could ask for Felix Doubront, Stolmy Pimentel, Michael Bowden, or Kyle Weiland. (I'd rather have Tazawa over Bowden, though.) I think, in the offseason, we could work a deal with the BoSox that looks something like this:

BoSox Get:
1B Prince Fielder

Brewers Get:
SP Felix Doubront
SP Kyle Weiland
1B Anthony Rizzo
3B Michael Almanzar

Doubront profiles to be a good #3 starter very soon (compared to Ted Lilly at SoxProspects), Weiland could be a nice #4 soon, with a #2 or #3 potential (compared to Nick Blackburn at SoxProspects), Rizzo is a young lefty 1B with great defense and offense (compared to Todd Helton at SoxProspects), and Almanzar just seems like he could be a very nice MLB regular some day (and he's only 19). Overall, I think this would be fair, and I'd love if it we could get this type of package for Prince.

The Blue Jays have dealt their firstbaseman of the future Brett Wallace to the Astros. Maybe the Jays are thinking about sending some pitching to the Brew for Fielder.

Is there an issue with Wallace? Hes gone from the Cardinals to the A's to the Blue Jays to the Astros in just a couple of seasons

Here's a little reverse thought process. How about keeping Fielder and Hart and taking a real run at Cliff Lee in the offseason. If unsuccessful with Lee trade 3 or 4 of our top prospects to someone looking to shed payroll (and there will be teams doing that) for a #1 type pitcher. Then you sign Bush or someone similar. We would have the cash to do it with Hoffman etc coming off the books. Sign a strong defensive infielder to backup and play a little and take a serious run next year.

We already have one of the strongest hitting teams in baseball. Escobar, Lucroy, Axford, and Braddock should all get better at least theoretically as they gain more experience. Cain should be ready to replace Gomez and upgrade CF. The rotation would still be suspect but serviceable. If in it this time next year I'm sure payroll could be expanded to trade for another top end pitcher to add for the stretch drive.

This would be my preferred way to go. While I realize Fielder likely won't resign I'd hate to waste one of the greatest hitters in the game right now. I'm not convinced whatever we might get back would ever live up to the expectations. They seldom do.

The Blue Jays have dealt their firstbaseman of the future Brett Wallace to the Astros. Maybe the Jays are thinking about sending some pitching to the Brew for Fielder.

Is there an issue with Wallace? Hes gone from the Cardinals to the A's to the Blue Jays to the Astros in just a couple of seasons

I like the idea, but they also have a guy named David Cooper at 1B in the minors who is described as being an "Overbay-type regular", so this might not be a logical destination for Prince. However, if they were to go after Prince, they could send us Brett Cecil, another pitcher (Stewart, Drabek, Jenkins, etc.) and Cooper.

I think you can cross the White Sox off the list along with the Angels which leaves zero teams that would be acquiring Prince at the deadline. It looks as though Prince will be dealt in the off season if there is a suitor for him then also.

"After all the talk about possibly moving Prince Fielder or Corey Hart, or even a couple of relievers or starting pitcher Dave Bush, the Milwaukee Brewers are closed for business, reports ESPN Insider's Keith Law.

"They have decided they're close enough to contention that they're not selling, so Hart and Fielder are off the market," Law said, citing an executive from a rival club that was interested in a Brewers player.

We have to wonder, now, if the Brewers might look to add a piece to the puzzle, such as a starting pitcher. Perhaps Ted Lilly, Jake Westbrook or Edwin Jackson, with Jackson being a potential multi-year addition.

Jackson's salary might be prohibitive, however, but stay tuned, as the Brewers might be in the market for help over the final hours leading up to the trade deadline."

ESPN Insider article. I'll let you guys react to this.

"After all the talk about possibly moving Prince Fielder or Corey Hart, or even a couple of relievers or starting pitcher Dave Bush, the Milwaukee Brewers are closed for business, reports ESPN Insider's Keith Law.

"They have decided they're close enough to contention that they're not selling, so Hart and Fielder are off the market," Law said, citing an executive from a rival club that was interested in a Brewers player.

We have to wonder, now, if the Brewers might look to add a piece to the puzzle, such as a starting pitcher. Perhaps Ted Lilly, Jake Westbrook or Edwin Jackson, with Jackson being a potential multi-year addition.

Jackson's salary might be prohibitive, however, but stay tuned, as the Brewers might be in the market for help over the final hours leading up to the trade deadline."

ESPN Insider article. I'll let you guys react to this.

Can't say I believe this. Perhaps the Brewers were just not interested in moving "the player" the rival team wanted. That or Melvin really is delusional.....

Does Brewers management have any understanding of probability? At all?

CoolStandings.com has our playoff odds at 0.3%. We are as out of the race as it gets. It's one thing if the offers aren't right, but if the official position of the team is "we are competing" then my opinion is finally waning on them.

JS Online just posted some quotes from Melvin. This one sums it all up: "I don't anticipate anything happening before the Saturday deadline." He goes on to explain that he never really got serious offers from anyone, and that he doesn't "have to" trade anyone. Looks like a goal of .500 ball this year, and hopefully some off-season moves.

And a little salt in the wound from Jon Heyman if this is indeed true (via Twitter): "#rangers, very aggressive, did try hard for oswalt. also fielder. but needed #brewers to pay a lot - an unlikely thing."

I like the idea of being a buyer for a player we control for next season because its a buyers market. We could get someone for less now than it would take next offseason when more teams will have salary flexibility. Why wait until the offseason to acquire Edwin Jackson if we can get him for almost nothing now?

Jackson hasn't been as good as I expected him to be this year, but I still like his talent, and his contract is better than what Melvin would give some over the hill soft tosser in free agency.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I like the idea of being a buyer for a player we control for next season because its a buyers market. We could get someone for less now than it would take next offseason when more teams will have salary flexibility. Why wait until the offseason to acquire Edwin Jackson if we can get him for almost nothing now?

Jackson hasn't been as good as I expected him to be this year, but I still like his talent, and his contract is better than what Melvin would give some over the hill soft tosser in free agency.

That's the only situation where I would be okay with being a buyer. If we were to get a pitcher who is controllable for next season, or beyond. A guy like Jackson would be okay, but I don't like his peripherals right now. Maybe he'd be better with us, who knows though. Fausto Carmona is another guy I like, mostly because he isn't a fly ball pitcher and has a contract loaded with team options. However, in order for Carmona to be successful, our defense would have to get their heads on straight.

Well, I have to say I'm fairly disappointed. What exactly are we close to? The bottom of the division? The bottom of the league in team pitching? Close to becoming the Baltimore Orioles of a few years back? Close to making a move for another average free agent pitcher in the off-season? If we are really close, which offensively we may be, then I'd like to see us REALLY go for it then. Trade our prospects and make a legit run at it. Gamel and Lawrie + ? to KC for Grienke. Overpay for either De la Rosa or Vasquez and give it a go. I think the statement that they think they are close is what's getting to me. I would've maybe been OK. with we just couldn't get fair value back. I probably fall under the category of someone who wants to see a move just to see something happen, however there must be some minor deals out there for guys like Coffey or Hoffman, Counsel maybe. Why sit on these guys when it's obvious we are going nowhere. I've been a pretty big Melvin supporter but this has me second guessing.

Archived