Brewer Fanatic

The trade value of Prince Fielder (part 2)

Whatever Wolf does for us this year is meaningless.

Paying a guy that is a #4 starter, more like #5 starter at best $9 million for a team I doubt will contend in 2011 isn't helping our cause.

Maybe if things are shuffled around having a guy we can count on to take the ball every 5th day as our #5 starter will be something...just not $9 million of something in 2012.

Wolf isn't going to be good here unless he:

1. Does roids.

2. The walls get moved back to emulate Chavez Ravine.

3. We get a miraculously better defense. Fast.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is disappointing to say the least. It seems Melvin is betting all his chips on this offseason when other first basemen may be on the market as well. Let's hope it doesn't backfire.
That may not necessarily be the case. He just may not be getting good offers. I'd rather have him wait and hope the offers improve in the off-season than to just take an underwhelming return just because it was the best current offer.

Texas is the best match for us for hard throwing prospects outside of Atlanta, so Doug needs to get creative and get these arms.

Holland

Perez

Scheppers

Font

Davis

for

Fielder

$$$

Coffey/Stetter

mid-level non prospect- Haydel type

If we pull a stunt like trading Wolf somewhere he doesn't want to go for a low level prospect we can kiss our chances goodbye of ever signing a free agent again. We are stuck with him now, at least until the last year of his contract. Even then it had better be to a contender and with his blessing.
That may not be a bad thing considering the Brewers' track record in signing free agents. I would think they hurt their reputation more with the players with the dirty pool that they played last year with Hardy. If Wolf can be moved for anything, by all means do it. As a matter of fact, the only way that I would even consider trading Prince now is if the other team were willing to take Wolf or, at the least, Hawkins with him.

On a related note, why do some people assume Dunn would step in for Fielder? Does anyone think that he's going to come to Milwaukee cheaply? My guess is it would take at least 3 years at $15 million per, and I think that's lunacy. With his frame, he has 'breakdown' written all over him, guys that size tend to break down once they get north of 30. I hope the Brewers stay far away from him.

Invader3K[/b]]It's looking more and more like the Rangers and Angels possibilities were just pure speculation. Reportedly the Rangers haven't even discussed Prince internally. I hope people aren't getting their hopes up too much.
Geesh, this is setting up to be a very disappointing and boring deadline. Teams seem to be really overvaluing their prospects this year. It appears as though it's going to take a desperation move by one of these teams right at the last minute for Fielder to be dealt.

Invader3K[/b]]It's looking more and more like the Rangers and Angels possibilities were just pure speculation. Reportedly the Rangers haven't even discussed Prince internally. I hope people aren't getting their hopes up too much.
Geesh, this is setting up to be a very disappointing and boring deadline. Teams seem to be really overvaluing their prospects this year. It appears as though it's going to take a desperation move by one of these teams right at the last minute for Fielder to be dealt.

Prospects are almost always overvalued. I mean the talent that TEX would have to give up in prospects for the FUTURE would have to exceed the production that Fielder gives you NOW. Plus theres no guarantee that the prospects pan out, but it's almost certain that Fielder does. Plus the fact that MIL pays the rest of Prince's salary for this year makes TEX look like their overvaluing their prospects too much. I don't see any hitters in their system that will hit the way Prince does (Moreland maybe, maybe) so it's not like they have an in-house option to fill that hole. Plus they have a surplus of young pitchers under team control (Hunter, Holland, Harrison, Feliz, Perez, Scheppers, etc.) so they could stand to deal a couple of them plus a minor league bat for someone that would vault them to the elite contenders.

I agree, rcon. It seems silly that a team like the Rangers aren't willing to give something (even a couple of premier prospects) up and get a premium bat to make a deep run in the playoffs. What do they think is going to happen when they run up against the Yankees or Rays in October? With how uncertain the future of their franchise is, you would think they would want to try and go as far as they can and increase the team's perceived value.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Rangers became a win-now team when they traded for Lee. It would make sense for them to go all out and acquire Fielder.

I'm still guessing Fielder won't be moved. People don't seem willing to offer a great deal now. If that's the case, they should just hold on to him. The last thing I want to see is a Haren-type return.

It's looking more and more like the Rangers and Angels possibilities were just pure speculation. Reportedly the Rangers haven't even discussed Prince internally. I hope people aren't getting their hopes up too much.
"Reportedly" being the key word. Important to remember not to take anything a GM, front office person ,or the media says as gospel. We never should, but especially at the trade deadline. In fact, you'll probably be closer to the truth if you believe the opposite of what you hear and read.

For example, of course Melvin is going to say he's not actively trying to trade anyone. But you can bet he's talking to a lot of teams about various players, and more than willing to pull the trigger for the right deal.

I will be very dissapointed if they don't move some lower level guys like Hoffman, Edmonds, Counsel, etc. Guys like that would help a contending team, and the Brewers should be able to get something back in return- even a lower level minirs guy similar to a Lasker, Bucci.

The next level is Bush, McGehee, Gomez. I'm just not sure anyone would give up much for any of those guys straight-up. I really think abig hot stove trade is more likely, where they can package some guys together with Prince, Hart, etc. Maybe even a multi-team deal.

Ian Kinsler is DL bound. I wonder if this might get the trade winds blowing even though the injury isn't serious. Also of note, apparently Moreland is getting the call to replace Kinsler...makes you think something might be happening as Moreland and Davis aren't going to be playing 2B.

What most likely will be done is a trade for Wiggington or Cantu, both of whom have played 2B.

Agreed, because even if they add Prince there's still a hole at 2B. With Wiggington/Cantu when Kinsler comes back they have a RH bat at 1B to platoon with Davis. Deal seems less likely every second.

I think Milwaukee's best bet to get good value for Fielder would be for Detroit (or Minnesota, I guess) to trade for Adam Dunn, which could make Kenny Williams get nervous, go crazy and overspend for Fielder.

We could also sweeten the pot a little for Texas by sending Counsell along with Fielder, or sweeten the pot a lot by sending McGehee, though trading McGehee and Fielder in the same deal seems highly unlikely.

Edit: Looks like the Rangers may be closing in on a deal for Jorge Cantu, which probably closes the door on a Fielder deal. Oh well.

But if they were seriously considering Fielder with Kinsler perfectly healthy, they could get even more interested with the injury to Kinsler regardless of position. Kinsler will be back in two weeks. They shouldn't just trade for Ty Wigginton because he can play 2B if they really want Fielder (which is a big if I know). My point is that if there really was a chance that Fielder could go to Texas, this injury to Kinsler might mean that there is even more of a chance. Let's not get too position oriented. If that was the thinking why would they call up a 230 pound 1B from AAA to replace Kinsler?

Now if they weren't all that serious about the big fish in Fielder and were going to settle with Cantu or Wigginton to begin with, that's another story.

I'm not sure the Rangers ever were serious about Fielder they may have just been looking at Fielder to drive up the price so the Angels wouldn't be able to get him. I don't think the Rangers wanted to realistically empty out their farm system this year with a Lee and Fielder trade. The best option maybe for Melvin to just wait until the off season to deal Fielder.

Texas is out of the running if they get Cantu. Angels are selling so they're out, and white sox don't have pitching prospects. I'm ready to close the door on fielder being dealt. Looks like the best we can hope for now is some A ball depth for a couple of our cast off pitchers.

Texas is out of the running if they get Cantu. Angels are selling so they're out, and white sox don't have pitching prospects. I'm ready to close the door on fielder being dealt. Looks like the best we can hope for now is some A ball depth for a couple of our cast off pitchers.

At least until the offseason then anything could realistically happen. Help me out here, who would be a match this offseason?

Boston seems to me to be a location that makes sense for Prince....or Texas once the sale is over. Boston has to decide if they want to keep big Papi or go a different direction.

BOS isn't trading Casey Kelly or Clay Buchholz (they would've done that for A-Gonz who is much more valuable last year) and their next most attractive SP option is Junichi Tazawa who just went under the knife, so BOS isn't a fit.

Archived